1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bugera V5 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by waitcoatmn, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

No Warranty here. She was a Pawn Shop score....$70.
    I will try to contact Bugera anyway.
    Thanks!

2. robert donithan

robert donithan Tele-Meister

Buzzing amp- ripdoozer

Try posting over on amp tech center or tube amp forum or DIY amps..just bring up the different forums and click, post your problem. My bug has always acted funny..some days it sounded perfect, others not so good...

3. brassbarrels

brassbarrels TDPRI Member

Celestion Eight 15 & JJs installed

Got a 4 ohm Celestion Eight 15 and a fresh set of JJ tubes installed in my V5, and really happy with the result so far. The sound is not drastically different from the stock blue Turbosound speaker in terms of the bluesy tone -- but clarity and definition have really gotten a kick in the pants. It seems like it breaks up at lower volume as well, which is exactly what I was hoping for as I never play with the volume above 2-3 on the 5 watt setting with the gain at 2.

I plan on swapping the old driver back in now that my ears have adjusted to the Celestion to see if the improvement is not just in my head.

4. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Just one more question about by buzzing amp. If no one here has messed with the circuitry, I will not post here anymore and just focus on the DIY threads. Thanks!

So, I think I've narrowed this issue down to the Reverb Circuit (BDM2 above). I pulled it off and there are a bunch of discolored spots on the board (I have photos if youd like to see them). Somebody messed with it at some point (keep in mind that this was a pawn shop purchase).

So, does anyone out ther know if the amp would be ok if I removed the reverb circuit, hooked it up and powered it on? Just to try to see if the reverb circuit was the culprit of this buzzing.

I just don't want to create any further damage by powering it on without part of the circuitry. It sure does seem like the reverb section was meant to b removed if need be.

Also, if anyone has "junked" their v5 out for parts, I would love to get my hands on a BDM2 effects circuit (the little blue one).

Thanks!

Mac

5. notbob

notbob TDPRI Member

I'm posting my V5 review. I posted it initially on alt.guitar.amps. It's shortish, but I didn't get a lotta sleep, last night.

I was jes gonna mess with that "attenuator" thingie and then write a
    long review. Now that I realize how stupid I've become in my old age,
    it'll be a short review.

Yes, there is a line-in hum.

My jeweled light is ORG.

I discovered I've been flogging all my guitars on the 1W setting all
    week. No wonder the thing sounded so damned anemic.

On the good side: This thing is NOT a poor quality amp. Sucker is
    solid and made well. Not jes adhesives, like my Fender Mustang I amp
    (15W), but screws and adhesives holding that fiberboard together!
    Plus, a piece of steel channel (magnet tested) reinforcing something
    or other across the front. Plus, a real leather carrying handle.
    Most serious real leather handle I've seen on an amp in half a
    century! (howzat fer bringing home those first-person facts?)

Dang, I'd forgotten the real beauty of a tube amp. How much it lends
    itself to the attack on the strings. Palm yer pick and begin
    fingerpicking;huge tone changes. Who sez you cannot fingerpick a
    Tele!?

The pre-amp tube (12ax7) starts breaking up at about 3-4 on the Gain
    knob. The pwr tube (EL84) starts breaking up at about 4-5 on the
    Volume knob. I love the Reverb at anywhere from 5-10, but am an
    admitted reverb fiend. Tone: I like the mids. Low is too low and
    too much treble is equally terrible.

I don't think this amp is "dark" at all. It's a little bottom heavy
    --tends to highlight the lows-- but plenty of that "clickety-clack"
    treble, too. This amp prefers my single-coils Tele over my dual HBs
    Aria. No doubt the maple necked Tele is brighter than the rosewood
    necked Aria. And damned if those SCs don't have more gain than my
    Aria. Someone wanna explain that?

I finally found my tone, but I hadda cheat. Ran my lone pedal, an
    original TS9, into the amp. I kept the amp Gain below 4 and the amp
    Volume at 10 and the Screamer at 50% (all). Beautiful sweet blues!
    GEEZ, I havn't even tried this setup with the attenuator at 5W. I got
    jes enough real volume w/ the TS9 at 1W, I decided the amp was a
    keeper. Gloriosky! Bonus Volume.

OTOH, get a lotta sustain with the attenuator at .1W and the Gain and
    Volume controls maxed out (no pedal). Not much volume, but a crap
    load of sustain.

Bottom Line:

I put my Aria in storage, unplugged my louder SS Mustang amp, and put
    my Tele on the stand next to this amp. I like it. I like how it
    sounds. I like how it's simple enough for a mental midget, like
    myself, to fly. Would I do it again. Probably not. Probably spend
    the $$ ona wider neck fer my Tele, first, then start saving for a
    Bugera V22 head/combo. ;) "

Sorry, but that's my take on the V5. What it made me realize is, I need to get rid of all this elex-tronix stuff and buy a good acoustic axe .....and a Bug v22. ;)

6. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

Nice review! :)

7. CASD57

CASD57 TDPRI Member

Let me ask this... If you buy this and put in another $100 in speaker and tubes...Why not buy a VHT Special Ultra w/12in speaker already...have the luxury of using different tubes for different sounds(6v6-6L6-EL34) ?? I'm all for cheap diamonds in the rough but by saving a bit more you get a lot more........
    Now I have to tell you I've never heard either amp but I was a proud owner of a Monoprice 5watter that I was impressed with..but of course I only paid $92 for it after discounts..
    So the question is... Spend app $300 for a Bugera V5 upgraded but still a 8in speaker or Spend $380-400 for the VHT and get a 12in speaker, ability to change tone through tube types, tube driven effects loop....

asnarski likes this.
  8. BadBen

BadBen TDPRI Member

I found mine used that already had the Chemp swapped in for $100. I'll probably add the treble bleed mod to the volume and gain pots, but I'm gonna hold on the tube change until I have to. If I'd have found a VHT I'd probably had bought one of those instead, but this was what I found.

Craigslist for the win!

9. hdan

hdan TDPRI Member

That's a good question. I looked into the VHT Special Ultra before buying my V5.

The VHT is certainly a nice amp for the money, but for my own needs, it was a bit too hefty (both in size and volume) for my practice room, and the extra hundred bucks paid for some effects to go along with it.

But if you can swing it, the VHT is a sweet piece of gear.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  10. Map8487

Map8487 TDPRI Member

First time poster long time reader

I've had my Bugera V5 for about 4 years now and love it. I stumbled across this forum when I was looking for replacement tubes and immediately realized I had come to the right resource for all things V5.

I ended up putting a gold pin Tung-Sol 12ax7 and Mullard (reissue) EL84 in the V5 and it was like the amp woke up. The tone had started to dull and this was exactly the shot in the arm the Bug needed. A lot more brightness and clarity.

Now I've decided to do a speaker swap and I'm going with the Jupiter Condenser 8SC which is supposed to capture the vintage Jensen sound. Anyone have any experience with this speaker? I thought about going the 820h route but wanted try something a bit different.

11. hdan

hdan TDPRI Member

I'm still using the stock power tube, but that TS 12ax7 made a big difference for me, too.

I did the "820 Chemp" upgrade, which I like. I don't have enough experience with other speaker systems to comment on your choice, but given the Bug's character, "Vintage" seems like a plausible choice. :)

12. dronester1

dronester1 TDPRI Member

Wow!! a different speaker...

Please let is know how the speaker choice sounds, I'm back and forth on the Chemp, and not sure I want to commit or just buy a really nice tube amp. I have a Korg Era British AC30 almost paid off at the moment, so the Bug is in the closet. I swapped speakers for a Jensen C8R Special Edition, and it's just okay. Probably should have kept the Bugera Turbosound as well, but we'll see how the Vox with Creambacks sounds. It's an expensive amp I got on the cheap, and I'm sure it's a little more lively than the Bug V5, but I am poor and can't afford the Swart or Supro that I REALLY want....

13. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I'm still reading through this whole thread..... Only a few pages into it right now. I'm considering a V5 used on local craigslist. I have a couple pedals (Fulltone Catalyst, DIY Triangle Muff). I use a Jackson Dinky with humbuckers and like to play with my amps set pretty dirty, even before pedals. Do you find this amp pairs well with dirt pedals?

If I end up with it, I'll probably build a new cabinet with a 10" or 12". Your thoughts?

14. Map8487

Map8487 TDPRI Member

I'll keep you posted on how the Jupiter 8sc works out. Looks like I'll get it in next week. I stumbled across it when I was reading through the thread. One of the OG members of the Bug Club suggested it. One of his buddies dropped one in a V5 and loved it. Also found some comparison clips against the 820h and found it had a bit more clarity.

I've played the V5 stock for 3 years and to anyone considering getting one I would definitely say you should pull the trigger. Got mine for $120 used $40 in tubes and $50 on the speaker. I'm all in at $210 (which is retail with tax) and have a very versatile tube amp.

15. Map8487

Map8487 TDPRI Member

Full disclosure.....

The Jupiter 8SC is one option but they are built by WGS to Jupiter specs. The platform is the WGS G8C which honestly probably isn't very different. I went with Jupiter based on the vintage character they are supposed to capture, but the WGS 8" is $10 cheaper. $40 is a little easier to swallow than the $65-70 that the Chemp runs.

16. hdan

hdan TDPRI Member

In my opinion, the stock Bug's pre-amp tube doesn't overdrive in a pleasant way. However, given some other comments I've heard, I suspect that I had a slightly defective preamp tube, and the tube I recently installed overdrives nicely.

So basically, "Yes, it pairs nicely but you may or may not need to replace the stock preamp tube for best results". I tried out a few brands, and the Tung Sol 12ax7 seems to work the best for my tastes.

I use a Rat clone (Biyang Mouse with the "resistor mod" to fix the cutoff frequency problem), and I've found that, though it's a bit touchy to get dialed in, it adds a nice high boost. I'd been using the Mouse on the "LED Rat" setting (more boost than crunch) and the gain set on the edge of breakup to "sweeten" the sound some.

I haven't tried any sort of Muff with it yet, though I'd like to. I also play with single coil guitars. I borrowed a friend's LP once though, and it was pretty smooth, especially with my Rat engaged.

To be honest, since I replaced the preamp tube, I don't use the Rat as a "Sweetener" as often, though of course it's still useful for distortion.

17. notbob

notbob TDPRI Member

The JJ TungSol 12ax7 seems to be the preferred replacement.

I wanted a replacement power tube, one that would break up at lower settings. The newer JJ EL844 was suggested. Anyone have experience with this tube?

18. notbob

notbob TDPRI Member

Ooh ooh ....I forgot to ask about the "greasebucket" tone circuit featured on American Special Telecasters. Here's the mod:

<http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/12311-mod-garage-the-fender-greasebucket-tone-circuit>

Will this help my Std MIM Tele's tone circuit be a tad brighter with a stock V5?

Do I need Seymour Duncan pups for this mod to work?

asnarski likes this.
  19. hdan

hdan TDPRI Member

notbob, those questions are beyond my ability to answer. :)

But, I did read the article on the "greasebucket" tone control, and since it seems like it cuts both treble (like usual) and bass, it might keep the amp from going too far into the lows, so maybe it would have a more mid-focused sound? That's just a guess.

20. Map8487

Map8487 TDPRI Member

Interesting initial reaction to speaker swap

Got the Jupiter 8sc put in and I'm loving the cleans. I've noticed a lot of thought on this forum was put into the breakup characteristics of the tube swap, but the speaker swap was MUCH more dramatic. I swapped tubes first and could run my settings on my amp practically the same. The tubes only seemed to smooth out the range of sounds I was getting. As soon as I swapped the speakers my settings had to dramatically change. I can dime the gain and volume and get light overdrive with single coils. The stock speaker broke up at the same level a little past 5 on the gain dial. I will say that the gain sound is more usable than the stock speaker. Very articulate response and not as mushy. Another interesting thing is the watt rating versus the physical build of the speaker. The stock was rated at 30 watts and the 8sc is rated at 25 but the build is so much beefier on the 8sc. The magnet is easily twice the size and the speaker seems much more efficient even with the wattage difference. The brightness will take some getting use to as I'm accustomed to the darker nature of the stock amp but overall I'm happy. I think it's early to tell as the speaker only has about an hour of play time on it. I can see the 8sc getting more mellow and sweeter sounding as it breaks in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.