Bugera V5 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by waitcoatmn, Nov 16, 2010.

1. waitcoatmn

waitcoatmn TDPRI Member

Hey there I am a proud owner of a Bugera V5 5-Watt tube amp!

These are great little practice amps that even allow you to gig in small venues or large (you WILL need to mic). Its key features include a 3 way POWER ATTENUATOR, REVERB:p (although digital, best digital 'verb I've heard), 8'' Bugera speaker, and headphone/out jack (not the greatest sounding, but there non the less)

So lets see how many owners are out there!?
    Here's a pic of mine and a video for your pleasure. Enjoy!:cool:
    [​IMG]

2. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

I like mine

Although the tubes are rattlin at higher volumes, I like mine. Good for the bedroom. Here it is before I got a bunch of better pedals. It takes pedals well btw.

[​IMG]
    0818102016.jpg by alzn, on Flickr

3. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

I got one about a month ago and returned it after a few days.
    No matter what I tried it sounded way too middy & muddy. Couldn't get any treble out of it. Maybe I got a bad one??

...I've had a V22 for awhile that I really like...

Veltek likes this.
  4. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's

I had the same issues with the one I had owned. I switched tubes, speaker, connected it to a extension cab. I really wanted it to sound good but couldn't get a good tone out of it. I ended up getting a Blackstar HT5 that is fantastic.

5. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

You think the V5 is muddy?

You should try the Vox AC4TV8.
    ;)

6. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

I got one today, 129 out the door at GC unplayed. I went off of reviews and you tube vids especially the ones by Frets 99 who seems like a decent guy. I have to say, it was much better than I expected it to be. Grood chimey little amp, wonderful cleans and when you really crank it a nice vox type of break up.

I can't believe how much headroom this little fella has, the rest of the goodies like headphone jack, attenuator and digiverb are icing on the cake. I like that I can dial warm tones through a glassier tone on the tone knob (which works well) the Verb sounds pretty good for digital verb also.

Speaker is a nice greenback type of clone but I might throw a jensen cr8 in there because I have one laying around. The build quality of this amp also blows me away, very nicely put together. I know there have been complaints about failures but from what I gather, it sounds like tube issues most of the time. The tubes it shipped with were kind of crappy but an EH preamp and JJ power tube cleaned it up very nice and now it has that nice glassy tube amp sound which I love.

I wish more people would give this little amp a chance, I know we all have our own ears and tastes, but I think theres alot of people missing out on a great little tube amp on the cheap because of the Beringher stigma attached to it. Bugera has a dedicated factory that does nothing but build tube amps. Yeah it's Chinese, but so are the Vox's, Champs, VHT's and Cubes that it competes with.

I love mine, it's only been a day so my opinion doesn't mean squat lol, I did buy the 2 year warranty to be safe but it just sounds soooo nice that I had to join the movement :)

7. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

Couple experiments this weekend. First, I put a well broken in Jensen CR8 in my V5. Very nice results. It sounds more champy now, accenuated highs and tighter lows. I actually had to back the tone control down some or it would fatigue my ear. After a day of playing with the CR8 I went back to the stock speaker for comparison and I think I like the stocker better. I am thinking the greenback type stocker is better suited to what this amp is trying to accomplish; more of a British type tone, the classic el84 chime.

I have a feeling that once the stock speaker breaks in and loosens up a bit its going to be great. I really haven't been able to push the amp hard for long periods of time this weekend to break it in, but I might crank it out in my Sister's barn a couple hours next weekend, we'll see how it goes.

The amp gets a bigger open tone I think due to the fact its enclosure is quite roomy and open backed. I think this amp in a Baltic Birch cabinet with a 12 inch Alnico Blue would rock, but I bought it for easy grab and go.

The stock preamp tube is pretty good actually, it's a Chinese 12ax7a, over the years it seems the good Chinese tubes run in cycles. I have heard great Chi-tubes and horrible ones from the same factory. I pulled the EH and put the stock one back in but I might throw an older RCA tube in it if I can dig one up. The JJ power tube compliments the amp, I tried a Sovtek for comparison and the stock Chinese el84 and the JJ is much smoother. Still, its nice having a SE amp where I can try all kinds of oddball single EL84 tubes. For now I am sticking with the stock Chinese preamp and JJ power.

This amp is put together nicely. I looked inside the chassis and the circuitboard seems pretty solid, heavy solder joints and lots of room. I didn't see any op-amps which surprised me. My Crate V5 had a TL072 and I think alot of other production amps have them also. It seems to be well put together for the price.

I might try to come up with a switchable brite cap mod by puting a cap across volume. Just because I must alter things :D

Anyone else digging on this amp? It now has me seriously considering the V22.

8. waitcoatmn

waitcoatmn TDPRI Member

My V5 has been excellent. I bought it for the living room of our college bachelor pad. My roommates can use it if they like. I am not worried about it. I keep my Princeton Reverbs in my bedroom now.

I really enjoy using it as a play-along tool. I put a record on at a low volume, put the amp on a low volume and play along. Super easy to achieve the right volume while still getting a decent tone out of it!

I've also used it when somebody wants to jam around campus. It is super easy to lug up flights and flights of steps!

9. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I love it.

I bought it just because it was a tube amp with a headphone jack. I have been very pleased. It can hold it's own against my Fender Deluxe...at lower volumes. But the Fender is hot enough to make your ears bleed if you are not carefull. I like to run them in stereo when I have the house to myself.

the only problem with this amp is.....It needs a spouse attenuator....
    SHE has no tolerence for plugged / unplugged...bla, bla......:mad:

sorry to get off topic..

Glad to see that there is a V5 fanclub....I almost wish I had found the V5 before I got the Deluxe...

Attached Files:

10. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

I made a vid. Its comparing 5 guitars (my guitars and my sis' guitars) plugged into the V5 with all things equal:

11. Maveric619

Maveric619 TDPRI Member

I LOVE mine, it's great for all things clean, looking at putting JJ Tubes and a Celestion Super 8 in soon:)

Attached Files:

12. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I'm a v5 owner and proud of it.
    I've owned it for about a year and really enjoy playing it.
    The tone is rich and creamy and the power attenuator is great at 0.1w with the gain cranked up.
    I like to use it without any pedals at intimate jam sessions.
    IMHO, this is the best reasonably priced 5w class A tube combo out there.
    I played all of the others, i.e. vox, blackheart, etc., before deciding on this one.
    Love it.

13. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

What headphone are you using and does it do a good job?

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

AKG

I forget the actual model of the headphones, but they are AKG brand. I checked around, basing my headphone decision on how much power and current they can recieve. They were about $65 at GuitarCenter. They are able to handle full volume at 0.1W. But I'm not..:lol:

the only issue with these phones is low notes with distortion. I think I pushed them to the edge one time...they can't handle as much low end as the bugera circuit can dish out. primarily in the low end.

The real trade-off is: the headphones don't sound as good as when playing open through the speaker. The sound has more air, ya know?

but keeps the wife and baby from B!*@#ing.

FRESHMEAT likes this.
  15. Biz Prof

Biz Prof Tele-Meister

Bought mine barely used for $90. Must say that it was $90 well spent.

asnarski likes this.
  16. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

thanks fatcat. My Sennheiser HD201 can't handle the signal. I just got its cousin the HD203, handles it a bit better. Otherwise I think I'd have to spend more than $50 for a pair of cans. I have to turn down the volume and the sounds like you said, is not the same as playing on speaker

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I'm really interested in getting one of these for small gigs (I have classic rock/blues/country band that is actually capable of playing very quietly) and have heard a few demo videos- some kind of focus on the higher Gain sounds which is fine, but how is it at cleaner volume and is the reverb decent? (not expecting fender reverb here) thanks!

18. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

The clean tones can be dialed in nicely..

The clean tones can be dialed in nicely, really sounds good. I have had it dialed in sounding way better than any online video of course. I have looked at most of them.

Bass resoponse is a little limited by the 8" speaker, but he will still kick it out. you just have to play a little with your tone and gain.

I like the reverb just fine, but I am not a fan of a lot of reverb. usually limit it to about a 2 on the dial.

I have been playing with the V5 in stereo with my Fender "HOT ROD" Deluxe; using my EHX stereo memory man. I set them up at about 90deg to one another, and sit in the middle (nice and groovy). The V5 will handle a direct shoot-out with the Fender up until about 3 on the Fender volume dial. Before you reach 4 on the dial, the fender has walked off and left the V5, and my ears are starting to bleed. All of this is with the V5 on the 5W setting, of course. I really can't say exactly where they break off.

You can definately tell they have very distinct voices those two amps. But they compliment well in stereo..

19. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

just put in a set of JJ tubes

lucked out at the local mom and pop store this weekend. They had some jj tubes in the back.

So, I got a new preamp and power tube.

smoothed things out. less noise. doesn't break up into over drive as quickly. It does sound better.

doing side by side comparrisons with my fender made me realize how much treble the fender was capable of....

The fender has a set of Mesa preamp tubes in it now, but I think i will get some more jj's for fun....

So, I had a good tube swapping; playing around weekend....

20. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

I put a new Tung-Sol 12AX7 on. It sounds cleaner. No muddy. Haven't turned it very loud though yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.