1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bugera v22 infinium: cool or crap?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Coolmody, Nov 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

It's one of the most affordable amps I've ever seen. It only costs about 350€ and it is 22w, and it has a 12" speaker and an effects loop! I fell in love with the looks on this thing. It looks vintage and solid. I have always had a little solid state amp and it's not bad but I'm making my big leap into the world of tubes.. [​IMG]

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  2. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

The clean channel is quite nice but the drive channel not so much. Good amp for the money.

Doghouse_Riley and soulman969 like this.
  3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I have the V5 Infinium and am very pleased with it. I was ready for a more powerful and versatile amp and looked at the V22 and the Fender Blues Jr. I ultimately went with the Fender strictly for the cool factor of owning a Fender for roughly $125 more. Both are solid amplifiers, though the Bugera has more functionality.
    The V22's tubes are self biasing which means you can swap tubes out yourself. I'm not sure how the Infinium circuitry works, or if it works. Supposed to extend the life of the tubes, which has to be a good thing.
    If you like the sound and features, and you're not concerned about resale value you can't go wrong with the V22.

4. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Thanks this really helps!

5. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Thanks!

6. Nasty

Nasty Tele-Meister

The only thing I'd be concerned with is the one in your photo is not an Infinium model, Which might suggest its an older model sold as NOS, Bugera is a newer company owned by Behringer, The first generation Bugera's were of questionable quality at best, and then the fact they've been sued several times for copying other manufactures designs, In which case more than half of they're original line up have been discontinued, Fast forward a bit and Behringer took over production of its Bugera line and the quality issues started to disappear. Fast forward a bit further and now we see the Infinium models and amps that are getting really good reviews, rather than the dismal ones they received in the past, Meaning if you do pop for one make sure its an Infinium, Why do I know this? I did a ton of research before buying my TriRec Infinium. So far its been flawless and holds its own with any high end boutique amp, and in some cases stomps on them, Although am using a high end boutique V30 loaded cab, Which has a lot to do with it, Looks Vintage? Sure does, although it also looks like a Matchless, Who of course has sued them in the past,

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Don't pay that for the non-Infinium model. A new Infinium goes for $399.99 at most retailers here, or based on current euro to dollar exchange, roughly 378€. Musician's Friend has had a price drop recently down to $320.59 with free shipping (US only, sadly) or around 302€.
    A couple of things I remembered: The V22 has standby and power switches and a digital reverb that sounds really good, and the Blues Jr has only the single power switch but does have a true tank reverb. That's what decided me in favor of the Fender.

kuvash likes this.
  8. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

I have the infinium v22 and really like it. The reverb sounds good at low levels and the clean channel is nice. I don't use the dirt channel as I get better tones from pedals. I haven't had it for real long but the build quality seems solid through a dozen gigs. I think the pentode setting sounds better than the triode.

9. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

I have two Bugera amps....the 22W is a very nice amp...you wont go wrong purchasing it!

10. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Yeah It's the price for the infinium, I just posted the wrong pic. Thanks for your advice!

11. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Who ah I didn't know it was behringer's! Thanks this is very useful!

12. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Thanks!

13. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Alright thanks! What's your other Bugera amp?

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the V22 Infinium. It's been a solid amp for me - purchased about a year ago I believe. I've played it a bunch and no hiccups. They come with a three year warranty of some sort now. The internet says the speaker is pretty good. I can't say I disagree.

I've never used the gain channel other than once or twice just to hear it. Prefer my pedals. I use a TS type pedal with the volume maxed and gain dropped in front of it and get a really pleasing (to my ears) country/twangy grit.

Cleans are nice and it's got a good amount of headroom. It is a bright amp, but the tone controls do their job. The two inputs are handy if you have a darker and brighter guitar you switch between. The mid boost switch is nice to have as well for a bit of added balls on demand.

I've played it in a band setting with an annoyingly loud drummer and not come close to running out of volume.

Personally, the reverb is pretty forgettable for me. It's certainly useable, but I like what I get from my HOF pedal more. That leads me to another great feature of the amp - the effects loop. Hard to find that on a tube amp in this price range.

In all, I'd buy it again in a second. Price was right for me at the time, it sounds nice, and has a solid number of features.

Coolmody likes this.
  15. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

V5 infinium

Coolmody likes this.
  16. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I like Bugeras! I have the V22 Infinium Head version, and it sounds great through my 2x12 Framus Cab w/Vintage 30s. Clean channel is very nice, Gain channel is good for classic 60s & 70s rock (the V in V22 does stand for Vintage). It is not a metal amp per se, you'd need a pedal for that much gain. Older non-infinium Bugs are iffy; I did score a 333 and a 1960 during the Great Musicians Friend Bait and Switch scandal. Paid less than $200 for each; swapped out the tubes for matched sets, rebiased to spec, and they have been absolutely GREAT! Other buyers haven't been as lucky (but most didn't change the tubes, either).

Bottom line, you have little to fear from the new Infiniums. They really are a great buy IMHO.

17. 69Telecraigster

69Telecraigster TDPRI Member

Hoping some of you from this thread will pick back up, because I have a question. I'm saving toward my first tube amp and want it to be affordable but good quality. I've currently narrowed it down to the Bugera v22 or the Laney Cub 12R. I keep dodging back go the Cub because of the 1w input. I'm primarily an at home player and tend to keep the volume down almost all the time. Wondering how the Bugera does at low volume? Otherwise, the Bugera seems to win on features.

18. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

For me, my V22 Infinium is too loud for my house. I had to turn it down too much to where it didn't sound good to my ears. It's now at the rehearsal studio. I use my Musicmaster Bass amp (12w) at home during the day and the Vibro Champ at night when others are sleeping.

69Telecraigster likes this.
  19. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I tried one of their 22 watt amps in a jam session a few years back and it had no balls working with a moderately loud bass player and drummer.

Would take a Blues Jr before that anytime if you plan on doing stage work.

20. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Tele-Meister

I have the Laney Cub 12R and it is a great little amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.