Buffing

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Simonwhittle, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Simonwhittle

Simonwhittle TDPRI Member

Im coming up to the buffing stage what's best for nitro buffing by hand or machine. Thanks.

2. Drum Strummer

Drum Strummer TDPRI Member

Simon - if this is your first build I would recommend hand buffing. 2 reasons:
    1. While slower it allows you to control the process. It's harder to burn through the finish by hand (notice I said harder - not impossible).
    2. It's more forgiving - go over the edge of the body with an electric drill buffer and watch the wheel jump up and scar a line across the surface. Stand in one spot to long and generate some heat and watch the surface peel up - not good.

I am a newbie and hand sanded and hand buffed my guitar. While it may be faster for the pros - it certainly is safer to buff and polish by hand as opposed to refinishing at the final stages of the build by letting an electric buffer get away from you (IMHO).

Good luck

3. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

And if you are willing to put the 'extra' work in you will get excellent results. I highly recommend the 'X' line of Meguiar's polishing products. You literally can't screw it up with these products.

I tried the 'kit' from Stew Mac but I like using the products from Meguiar's better. It makes polishing almost fun.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on the Meguiar's stuff. I did the Fine Cut, Ultimate Polish and Mirror Show Room stuff and I also now have some 3M products, the rubbing compound, the Finess It 2 and the Imperial Glaze... both brand are something you see a lot of here and work on the nitro finish. As Drummer hinted at Elbow grease might be the best place to start!

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I went down to my local auto parts store and picked up a buffing kit which came with a wool pad, two foam pads, and a velcro backed plastic backer that chucks in your drill. I bought several extra foam pads. It beats the hell out of doing it by hand. Been there done that, and won't ever do it again. I used the Meguiar auto polishing compounds. Wet sand to 800 or 1000 then medium cut cleaner, then fine cut cleaner, then swirl remover, then show car glaze. It will get really close to the "dipped in glass" look you get from a dedicated buffing wheel and Menzerna compound. Not quite there, but really close.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.