Buffing machine build.

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorry ...........I missed the pix of the bolt heads to the front of the base just behind the castors. For some reason I only saw the two bolt heads at the back. Creeping senility is not good!!!! If it was my problem I'd probably drill 4 hole in the floor to accommodate the bolt heads during buffing, or 10 bricks on the base, or make the wife sit on it while it's going. :twisted:

DC

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
No doubt rig up an auxiliary back massager mechanism to reward the "little" lady for adding her gravitas to the rig whilst you buff? :D

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Finally getting some new 14" buff wheels on & the buffer and into use. Works great and stable. Total cost to build using reclaimed metal was under $300!

1519598092939.jpg
1519598103035.jpg

1519598148607.jpg

LeftFinger

Friend of Leo's
Looks Good
Now to pad the floor and walls for when the wheel grabs an edge and flips the guitar across the room:oops:

I saw that happen at a knife makers , scary scary . Luckily only took out a window and not a person

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I did forget to mention. The 2" thread length on the go cart axle is not enough for the 2 buffs and 2 buffing flanges I used. My two choices were to put on a extension sleeve, or have thread cut longer. Being cheap, I chose option three. [emoji6] I ground the threads out of the inside of a 1" nut until it was a splig fit onto the shaft. I located the nut 3- 1/2" from the end of the shaft and tack welded it in place. The Axle came with lock nuts but if ever need to go with a double nut to lock them on or add a 3rd buff I will have enough threads to do it.

I didn't weld a solid bead so if I ever want to do something different I can grind the welds off easy and do it. If they loosen up I can always do a solid bead.
1520007364091.jpg
1520007370545.jpg

Vizcaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Well done. What are the dimensions of the footprint of the base, and the length and height of the axle? I'm trying to figure out what works in terms of stability of a tool stand or home made base.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well done. What are the dimensions of the footprint of the base, and the length and height of the axle? I'm trying to figure out what works in terms of stability of a tool stand or home made base.
Base dimensions = 19" deep by 26" wide
Column location = 6" from back.
The verticle column has a 12 degree forward tilt which lands the shaft about the middle of the 19" bas depth at the top.
Axle 36" long located 46" from ground, for my 6'2" height.

It has been extremely stable with virtually no vibration. I can lean in and slip the belt with pressure without it ever moving.

Attachments

• 1520479209256.jpg
    1520479209256.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
How long do cheap bearings last on a buffer?

I finished building my buffer over 3 years ago. It has seem regular use but I wouldn't say heavy. Normally as quiet as it comes it had a clear volume increase last week until I had to abandon use yesterday. A little diagnosis and grease spitting out of the race of one and the new $16 replacement pillow blocks are on order from amazon. Overall, 3 years isn't too bad for $16 bearings.

20210511_195230.jpg

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
Overall, 3 years isn't too bad for $16 bearings.

I paid nearly that (in Aussie dollars!) each for four tiny bearings (About 6mm diameter) to replace worn units on my bandsaw blade guides just a few months ago. The bearing shop (local) had to order them in as they usually only sell to Industry which doesn't use such tiny bearings.

Very nice buffer I must say!!!!!!

DC

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Overall, 3 years isn't too bad for $16 bearings.

I paid nearly that (in Aussie dollars!) each for four tiny bearings (About 6mm diameter) to replace worn units on my bandsaw blade guides just a few months ago. The bearing shop (local) had to order them in as they usually only sell to Industry which doesn't use such tiny bearings.

Very nice buffer I must say!!!!!!

DC
Thanks Dave.

3 years really is pretty good, especially for the price. I just ordered a set of new bandsaw guide bearing as well l. I went the cheap way again since the original rikon ones only lasted 3 years as well.

LeftFinger

Friend of Leo's
On my last bandsaw I used ceramic skateboard bearings , they seemed to last longer . The Rikon has been behaving itself ,hmm better find out what it uses and get them on hand

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
How long do cheap bearings last on a buffer?

I finished building my buffer over 3 years ago. It has seem regular use but I wouldn't say heavy. Normally as quiet as it comes it had a clear volume increase last week until I had to abandon use yesterday. A little diagnosis and grease spitting out of the race of one and the new $16 replacement pillow blocks are on order from amazon. Overall, 3 years isn't too bad for $16 bearings.

View attachment 855667

I'm building a buffer like this pretty soon and I got my pillow block bearings for $9 each. I didn't get them from Amazon, but from a vendor I buy bearings from at work. But I emailed the manager over there and said "quote me the cheapest 1" pillow block bearings you have" so if they last 3 years like yours did, that'll be fine.