Buffered pedals causing volume loss?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Neener, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Hey all,

I plugged my guitar straight into my amp for the first time in a very long time and noticed the tone is slightly louder and the bottom end is more present. The difference is small but definitely noticeable to me

Here is my usual pedal chain -

BOSS-TU2 > Yamaha OD-10mii (TS type) > 80s Washburn Analog Delay (assuming it’s buffered) > TE Ditto (true bypass)

I’ve read buffered is supposed to make up for tone suck, but I feel I’m losing tone...

I have tried plugging in one pedal at a time as well, and the buffered seem to always cause a very slight loss in tone, to me at least...

Am I just hearing the loss in bass tones or has anyone experienced volume loss with buffered effects in chain?

2. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Bad buffers can also give you tone suck.

jddub440 and Neener like this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

I don't know but my battery in my TU-3 ran out at practice today (it's last in my chain the other 2 are TB) so I took it out and I couldn't believe how much high end I lost through through 2 cables without that buffer in the middle.

Plugging straight in will always be 'best' because you are taking 15 or whatever foot of cable out of the equation, but a decent buffer at the end of your chain should help.

Neener likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m going to guess the Yahama and Washburn have epically bad bypass. As always, unplug everything, plug back on one by one and see where the problem is. Troubleshooting 101.

Neener, pugnax and Obsessed like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Exactly what I was thinking. Easy to eliminate the culprit.

Neener likes this.
  6. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If it is an older Boss TU-2, that would be a pedal I would look at. I stopped using those awhile ago because the buffer in the older TU-2 pedals is a noted tone sucker. Boss fixed it with the TU-3, but there is a reason why many loopers and volume pedals have a tuner out option-the older tuning pedals often put a blanket on your signal chain when bypassed. I switched to a Korg Pitch Black which doesn't seem to affect the final result. Take the tuner out of your chain and then plug it back in at the end of the chain to see the difference. It has been my experience that true bypass pedals generally like to have a pedal with buffering after them rather than being fed with the buffered signal.

Neener likes this.
  7. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, I figured the older pedals were the culprit

I'm thinking of getting the Yamaha true bypass modded I love it that much...

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have both (TU2 and TU3) the TU2 has a better buffer and "sounds" better slightly more open and transparent if you listen VERY closely and without other instruments playing (the difference gets lost in a band of course)

Also who "noted" this?
    It's the first time I ever read about this.
    There's a reason why the TU2 was THE mainstay in countless professional boards as the initial tuner AND buffer for decades.

Go to 7.28

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    MilwMark and Neener like this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some dude on the Internet, in his underwear, who had never actually played one. Then it got repeated once on the webz and was "true".

Preposterous.

Neener likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just a simple ( yet longtime) bar/lounge gig player with simple setup ( 4 pedals, all Boss, though I will switch out other makes' OD's which goes first BEFORE my TU-2 tuner)

And I remember many years ago reading say, , GP mag pedalboard features- and authors would repeatedly say " you need a good buffer in your signal chain, first or last, and the Boss TU-2 Tuner ( " and most Boss" pedals") is a good buffer..."

I didn't dwell on this as I've always had decent sound- it was more like ' Looks like what I'm using is OK'

BUT I do love this Boss tuner as well, it's a good tuner, is a buffer, and the POWER OUT jack allows daisy chain cable to power other pedals. ( I just use a 1 spot adapter into Tuner). Great multitasker!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Neener and Nick Fanis like this.
  11. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

...and it will mute your signal. I like that as much as the rest of it.

Neener and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Meister

That's good to know! I hadn't considered a pedal tuner before because I couldn't afford to lose one power jack, as right now I only have 8 maximum 9v ports in my supply. At least I know it's an even trade off with the Boss Tuner. :cool:

Neener and Chiogtr4x like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Cool!
    But just like say plugging a ( full ) power strip into a space on another full power strip into the wall...that your system can take/or provide the juice you need.
    ( I don't know much about this stuff, just be safe)

Neener and Switchy like this.
  14. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Brian Wampler had a good YouTube video about how too many buffers will cause lower volumes....his example included like 10 or 15 BOSS pedals. Granted you don't have that sort of situation on yer hands, but still you might even want to find that video, sorry I don't know how to load YouTube videos to my posts (honestly I struggle to even load a photo on this forum straight from my phone lol).

Neener likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.