Buffer/Boost combination

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Rock_Glenn, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I recently built Pete Cornish's buffer combined with a Fulltone Fat Boost. I love the buffer, think the boost isn't cutting it.

I'm thinking of trying a similar build with the Cornish buffer and an Xotic Ep Boost.

I can't decide whether to wire the Cornish "always on" then into or bypassing the EP Boost. Or to wire them Either/Or.

Is there advantage one way or the other? I don't see the sense in having the buffer on when the EP boost is on, but I also worry that EP boost won't buffer in the same way as the Cornish, which I love. But maybe the Cornish is what made the Fat boost sound worse.

I would usually only use the EP to boost for solos.

I know I could simply A/B these, but I want to know the reason for what differences I may hear.

2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

while it IS a matter of choice, I would leave the buffer as "always on" and bypass the boost.
    pedals like the G2 have the always on buffer on the input side and bypass the effect. that might work better for your boost than if you have the bypass on the output side of the effect. you'll know which is right when you try it and notice any improvement.

3. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I guess my main concern is having extra components (the buffer) in the signal chain, that don't necessarily need to be there, when the boost is on. I guess my question is whether the boost is still "buffering" the signal in a way that the buffer is when the boost is off.

I'm thinking I'll make the buffer "always on" but I was very curious as to what was more common. And there is very little on the internet it seems on this exact subject.

4. luckett

luckett Banned

Having the buffer on with the boost may change the tone due to a possible difference in impedance vs just the boost. Whether having the buffer on improves the tone or not depends on your preference.

The boost alone will be buffering your signal, but the EP colors your tone quite a bit whereas the buffer alone will not change your tone as much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.