1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Budz Pickups -- Great pickups, great company

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TeleKato, Jan 17, 2016.

1. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I had one of those heartening experiences today.

I built a partscaster not long ago and wanted to use Budz Purebreds (because I have a set in a RW50 I bought used). Now being a retired so-and-so, I looked around for a used set and found them on THeBay.

I get them and install them and am enjoying playing them -- bridge was strong and twangy, neck was sweet and piano-like. Happy happy happy. But then I go into the middle position (both pickups, parallel) and something's not right. At first I thought I had back-ass-wards wired things and had an out-of-phase issue. But that wasn't the case -- everything wired AOK and even when I flipped the wiring around, no change that I could hear.

Since I'm not a middle-position guy, I just ignored it thinking it was my tin-ear. But it was always there. Something just not right and sounding out-of-phase. So yesterday, I decided to focus on it and discovered the most curious thing -- it was one string and one string only that was causing a problem. The 'A' string, when in the middle position, just sounded weak and definitely that out-of-phase sound. I checked it out on a different guitar that employs a microswitch to let me go out-of-phase for both serial and parallel positions. Indeed ... one string and one string only!

So I thought about posting here, but then decided WTH ... I wrote BudzGuitars about the problem late this morning. In the afternoon, I get this back from David @ BudzGuitars:

There is always something that I have never heard of, however try this, on both the bridge alone and then neck alone "bend" the A string and see if it gets weak when it gets close to the other string. The only thing I a can think of is that some "event" reversed polarity on one magnet on the A string on either pickup. That I can check and fix no problem. Any way if you send them to me I will get it straightened out fix or replace.

So I do that and dang ... the neck displayed the exact characteristic he described upon bending the string! So I report back to David and long story brought to a quick end, the pickup is on its way to him for a fix!

Now remember ... I didn't buy this pickup from him. I bought it on the used market. He has no idea who had it before me and what they might have done to it -- or for that matter, what I might have done to it. He just knew his product wasn't performing as it should and he acted. Did he ask me for a nickel? Nope.

I must admit that I'm happy about every aspect of this. But mostly ... I'm glad to see a business man who stands behind his work. I'm seeing it's not just the pickups that are great ... it's the company and the guy who runs it. Bravo!

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Dave is an awesome guy and his customer service is second to none. I own 4 sets of his pickups including the new Reynolds wrap set. To my ears, his pickups are the most consistent across guitars out of all the boutique winders I have tried. I haven't tried the Purebreds yet but I'm sure they will be next on my list. Enjoy your pickups.

SceroGuitars likes this.
  3. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

I've got Budz pups in two of my Danocaster's. I love these pickups. I've had a few PM's with the builder and he's been nothing but nice. Win win!!!

4. SceroGuitars

SceroGuitars TDPRI Member

Budz is second to NO one.

blues and robt57 like this.
  5. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

(yeah, but it was worth a bump...)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.