Budget vs. High-End is more important with acoustics than electrics.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Mar 30, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Solid tops almost always sound better, but on ocassion we'd get a rare all laminated $100 Epiphone dread that sounded better than the solid top ones. That's why I like to play any guitar before I buy, even solidbodies, because every one is different, but it's even more true with acoustics. And, solid tops are more important than back and sides IMO. Martin's X Series have solid tops and composite back and sides, but to my ears they are the best sounding guitars in the $500-600 range, even over many all solid instruments from other makers.

rangercaster and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I take no position with regard to your premise. It makes sense to me. But I don't know enough about acoustic guitars.

But perhaps there were other factors that hampered your ability to hear the guitar, like the acoustics of the room, the amount of people between the guitar and you, the direction of the sound hole, the room dimensions, etc. Perhaps even if she was beating on a $4,000 Santa Cruz, it still would have been difficult to hear. Just a thought.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I should add that a too heavily braced solid top will probably sound worse than a lightly braced laminated one.

rangercaster likes this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

P.S. I'd like to think that the "you-get-what-you-pay-for" adage that I normally reject, holds true when it comes to acoustic guitars because I paid the most I've ever spent on a guitar a few months back--I bought a Martin 000-18.

Violeiro likes this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I was very close to her. Less than 10 feet. I would inconspicuously walk around to see if it sounded better from other locations in the room.

GGardner likes this.
  6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I do agree, but I tend to try ALL acoustics I can try before passing judgment.. Ive been surprised with Cort acoustics actually.. I cannot afford a pre-war spec Martin or Santa Cruz so I bought the poorman's alternative..

Cort L 300 V - Adirondak top, hog back and sides.. The fret levelling and bone nut, bone saddle, and pro set up cost more than the guitar.. LOL But it was a dang good guitar to invest in..

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=131
    [​IMG]

but if I'm buying an all solid acoustic, Id go with a Yamaha L series.. or probably a used 000-15.. but still Yamaha is still cheaper!

rangercaster and PhredE like this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

These are exactly the same factors I have run up against in EVERY factory/low-end acoustic guitar I have ever bought: frets, nut and saddle. In the case where the basic body and neck are made of decent materials and assembled correctly, it is a fairly safe assumption that those 3 other aspects will need *some* attention before the guitar is setup and sounding optimally. It's almost tragic too -- if any one of those aspects is not done right, sound (and playability) can suffer badly, to the point of 'make or break'.

So, I guess it's a good news, bad news situation -- the bad: on the one hand you can expect a new factory guitar will 'need work' before being playable/usable, the good: the areas that need fixing up are within DIY scope for many folks at relatively low cost.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

On what an amazing acoustic can be.... On why you might want to consider one.

I was shocked last night after some time with my beloved Santa Cruz acoustic. I looked at recent prices for high end acoustics.

10-11 years ago the purchase rationalized as my 50th self birthday present was the first shock. It arrived at my local dealer and played against my plenty fine Martin, my Larrivee, and 1977 Ovation plus guitars in the store it just blew me away. It was like a bikini model and singer sitting down and singing in a 14 year old boy's lap. It truly ended GAS. I sold everything else and haven't been interested in a purchase since.

The shock was a new order or in stock like it would be 2x the price now. I saw a similar one that has a repaired crack sell for almost what I paid.

Something amazing beyond the responsiveness and tone is it never opened up as my Larrivee seemed to - just always amazing. My Martins were all used instruments. It's been stable with weather and temperature changes unlike other acoustics I've had. It's a 14 fret OO. You would not think a guitar that size could go to a bluegrass jam but it can. I never tire of the tone - why I bought others in the past.

Anyway, as far as acoustics, I'm GAS-free since my 2009 model year guitar. I totally understand why some people just have one or a main guitar. With 2 kids, costs and retirement age coming up I also cannot imagine repeating what I did with that purchase.

:)

telepraise likes this.
  9. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

I have been through many acoustic guitars and it is true that you do get more from acoustics that have more attention to details and certain specs and build characteristics. An acoustic with Adirondack baked top will cost more but in my opinion sounds better than a Sitka top...hide glue and good scalloped bracing adds as well...a thin lacquer helps as well... All of that adds up to the price.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I almost bought one of those 'baked' Cort's when they came out. Then I ran into info on the worker's rights issues and passed. That got me looking into the 'baked' top trend. Still don't know if it's such a good idea for integrity of a top.

11. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

I have had a number of samples of both, baked and non-baked.... My feeling is the backed tops are dryer (more vintage sound and bigger head room. All my acoustics today have baked tops...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My acoustic has a baked top and it sounds very good, looks good too.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

What's the difference between "baked" and "roasted"? I mean with guitar wood, not food.

Violeiro and rangercaster like this.
  14. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

We're using 'baked' in place of 'torrefied'. The torrefaction process involves heating wood in an oxygen free chamber...or something like that, I suppose to keep it from 'roasting' too much.

DrPepper likes this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Some of them do sound and look very good. My only concern is how torrefacton affects integrity of the wood.

16. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Depends on what your smoking... Wait,

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like mine medium rare ...

18. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I dunno. I've played budget Breedloves that were better than high end Taylors.

Violeiro likes this.
  19. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

Me too...

20. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

Same thing, torrified, vintage treatment....

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.