Budget vacuum press?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by goodchicken, Dec 2, 2018.

1. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

I'm going to do an arm carve on a Tele (and maybe a carve top on one in the future), and I have some purdy veneer to glue on. I tried testing with clamps, but it was a bit problematic.

I had read somewhere in the past (probably here, but I can't seem to find the thread) about a fairly cheap DIY vacuum press setup. Seemed like it used some stuff from Harbor Freight.

Any thoughts on this or vacuum presses in general is much appreciated :)

2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Vacuum is the way to go for veneers - but there's a bunch of things you need to buy to get set up. The bag material, pressure gauge, mastic, tape, fittings, veneer softener, breather material; and then there's the pump. You could use a household vacuum for a small piece like a guitar body, but it would barely work and almost surely kill the vacuum cleaner

A big aquarium pump might be enough. A fridge pump would work, but you have to find one. Pressure needs to be held for duration of initial set/cure of adhesive. you can either have a regulator control pump cycles or sit there yourself and babysit

Definitely test before you do your real work. There is a learning curve.

3. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I have bagged epoxy with a shop vac, taped plastic film and polyester fabric for a release film. That's easy, but nothing like doing good veneer. How do you keep it neat?

4. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Would a storage vacuum bag work for this?

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

I have an old vacuum pump from a priinting company. I build windsurfers with epoxy/Divinicell sandwich with it, so plenty of pressure from it. A fridge motor would be a cheap source though.

There is a learning curve, like dkmw said.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

goodchicken likes this.
  7. Mike9

Mike9 TDPRI Member

That's a slick setup @Boomhauer

Vacuum is the way to go IF you want to invest in the setup. I used to lay up miles of veneer back in the day. You have to make a platen to evacuate the air. I made mine from 3/4" melamine and used an old refrigerator compressor for a pump and bought a vinyl veneer bag and a pressure switch. I let the freon out then stuck the exhaust port in a jar to catch the oil. I used that setup for years with no problems.

You could also "hammer" veneer using hot hide glue.

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  9. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

just rent the vacuum pump (used to suck down A/C) from advance auto

give deposit (full price of pump)
    use
    return

no problem; this is how their tool rental program works

10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Vacuum cleaner, food wrap plastic film, masking tape.

[​IMG]

11. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

Photo 21.JPG

Photo 2.JPG

I used a vacuum storage bag as suggested above by sergiomajluf when gluing the 6mm thick front and back onto the core for a body and it worked a treat.
    I used a domestic vacuum to pull most of the air out, then used a wine-saver type hand pump to get the last bit out.
    I glued it using Titebond first thing in the morning, and kept checking every now and then that the vacuum was holding, giving a few more pulls on the hand pump if needed.
    By the end of the day the Titebond had cured enough to hold firm, but I left it in the bag over night, just for good measure.

Vacuum is definitely the way to go when doing something like this. On a body sized bit of wood measuring say 17 inches x 14 inches, the surface area is 238 square inches.
    Even if you can only pull 25% of a total vacuum that means each square inch is seeing 14.7 x 0.25 pounds of force (14.7 being atmospheric pressure in psi) = 3.6 lbf.
    That means the whole surface of the body is subjected to nearly 860 pounds force, over 1/3rd of a ton. Best of all, it is evenly spread over the whole surface.

sergiomajluf and Mat UK like this.
  12. spartan warrior

spartan warrior Tele-Meister

By the way, the clamps and aluminium T section spreaders were there for insurance before I established that the vacuum would reliably hold.

13. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Some one gave me this I’ve had it a couple years. I think its time to put it to use Maybe a Vacuum table. Can’t find to much on this model but seems to still be in use deferent model number.

From link Blood analysis, respirators/nebulizers, vacuum pad hold-down, dental/surgical, automobile cruise controls, graphic arts equipment, air and gas analysis, breast pumps, sterilizers, air brushes, agricultural foam markers, oil atomizers and lab equipment.

https://www.rg-group.com/product/doa-v722-aa/doa-series

Attached Files:

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.