Budget Strat copies…

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The Strat in my TDPRI pic is actually my first Strat ( 1990) a $169 Peavey Predator, before I got my first Fender.

I used it for years, recorded a blues demo ( cassettes!) with it, and ( story for another day) played it jamming with Steve Stills at a blues gig...

It now lives in MD ( I live in VA) at a guitar buddy's home studio ( he's a lefty, so I can't play his guitars!)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    mkdaws32, LGOberean and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Did anybody mention Squire Deluxe Stratocaster? They don't make them anymore but you can get a good used one on ebay that would probably fit your budget. They got MIA features and quality made in Indonesia. Mine is a 2009 model and it's full size Basswood body, small head-stock, 2 point trem and Alnico V DD pickups . Very happy with mine. Platefire
    Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 020.jpg

3. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

yes priced between the squier standard and the classic vibe. still found in the fender.com site if at the bottom of the page you change it to "international" so i assume its available anywhere else except USA

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Squier Strat and a Vintage Peavey Backstage 30 for $125.

https://mcallen.craigslist.org/msg/d/mission-fender-squier-strat-guitar/6967230852.html

I know you love Pathfinders. These old Peavey solid stage Backstages were great clean amps. I had one when I was 15. I have 3 of them now. (I have a nostalgia issue). Heck of a deal to get started.

$200 with a hard case. Looks minty.

https://victoriatx.craigslist.org/msg/d/victoria-fender-squire-strat-bullet/6946690335.html

I understand that $350 is a stretch but I’d look at this. The color!

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/d/san-antonio-ft-2013-fsr-mim-fender/6962715180.html

I didn’t know about the Earl Slick Strats. The Slicks get good reviews. That’s tempting.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I had a Hohner strat in the'90's. It was ok. They came in two levels, solid colors were ply, bursts were purportedly maple. I recall the pick ups were functional. I'd put them well above first act or department store models . The electronics beat SE Squiers, but not the wood bits.

7. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Another mia Peavey Predator and Reactor (tele) endorsements. They are great platforms for diy mods, the 2 piece maple necks with micro tilt adjustment, 1 3/4 nuts, 12" radius and thin(er) profiles. Both are my keepers, have been heavily diy modded. Thus have sold off my other 8-9 more costly electrics including a spec'd Carvin hss neckthrough hardtail. Imho/e like them better than any CS I've picked up a mainly because of the necks. List of mods done when I could afford:

Predator...$89:
    locking tuners, bone nut, iirc 62 fender pu's, gfs steel block, blocked trem with rock maple, piw tone cap and pro setup.

Reactor...$150:
    locking tuners, bone nut, reissue 50's fender pu's, has a Predator neck with complete refret job (was already done prior to purchase), piw tone cap and pro setup.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  9. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

The Peavey USA copies, Yamaha, and PRS to name a few.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  10. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

The Squier SE Strats had solid bodies and fat, chunky necks. The Squier Bullet Strats made in the Indonesian Cort factory have 42mm wide necks, measured at the nut. The Chinese Squire necks are typically 40mm wide at the nut.

95% of my guitar purchases are used. Purchased primarily at pawn shops.

1999 MIM Strat - $185
    1995 MIJ Strat ST-460M - $325
    1994 MIJ ST-54 Strat - $200

11. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Another Peavey Predator and Reactor Fan DSCN3174.JPG DSCN3266.JPG

12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

For me the Squier Standard Stratocaster is The One. The Indonesians make a Neck with more CHUNK to it than say a Chinese Classic Vibe. I'm sold on Indonesia when it comes to Quality Control of Budget Line Instruments...it's almost like they read The Terada Handbook on building a Guitar. The PRS SE-245 is a much better "Blow By Blow Les Paul" than the Gibson offering at 1/10th the price. Indonesia even has a leg up on Korea in fact I'd like to see Indonesia get The D'Angelico Excel line because I think they could give The Japanese (High End Lines) a real serious run for the roses that a Blue Collar Guy could afford.

DADGAD likes this.
  13. Platefire

On the Deluxe Squire Strat, I noticed that most of them are from Japan on ebay are way jacked up in price. I was Blessed with my 2009. The previous owner said it had spent its life in the case and was bought from Musicians Friend. I believed them when I got it because there was not a blimpish of scratch anywhere to be found for $200 with good quality Fender gig bag.

Another deal I happened on in ebay was I have been wanting a Fat Strat. Affinity was fine because my experience with Affinity's have been very good. I found a Metallic Blue 2005 one that looked very good for $100 Buy it Now including shipping. No Case. I went for it and when it came in it was super clean and not abused at all. The great bonus is the thing plays and sounds amazing as is. The only mods I did to it was install DynaGuide String trees and plugged the hole that goes all the way through the trem block for the bar with a bolt on the bottom side. That was so I can use a trem tension spring to hold the trem arm in position. Also I did my personal strat set up.

So you got to figure out what model you really want and stay on the hunt a long time if necessary to get the deal and model you want. If you already got a guitar you like, then you can afford to be patient, watch and wait. Then when you find it, go after it full force. Platefire DSC03881.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A Squier strat may be cheap, but it is not a copy of a Strat ... It is the genuine article ... Just the same as an Epiphone Les Paul is an actual Les Paul ...

awasson and mkdaws32 like this.
  15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I’d say so. I set up and played a Squier Mustang that belonged to my wife’s cousin’s son last week. Absolutely stunning guitar. I couldn’t put it down and apparently I made sounds with it that people enjoyed. A very fine guitar and I could have played it all day.

16. Platefire

This budget strat by Behringer turned out to be a real jewel called "iAxe 393". I mostly bought it because I love white strats and hoped I could do something with it. At $40. including tax, couldn't go too bad wrong. Main changes is a USA strat wiring kit, Artec Alnico pickup set, roller string trees and my personal strat setup with floating trem. The frets are small like the original fenders, which I like. Definitely and successful project. Platefire
    DSC03840.JPG

DSC03798.JPG
    DSC03848.JPG DSC03842.JPG

preactor and awasson like this.
  17. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

LGOberean likes this.
  18. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

LGOberean and FredAU like this.
  19. FredAU

FredAU TDPRI Member

They are great, bought the V6 Strat copy years ago, lovely guitar, will never sell it, its just too good.

In this neck of the woods (Aussie) they are no longer a budget option, much on par with MIM's.

The V6 would hold its own against any CV or Mex Strat, no doubts on that one but when your competing at the price point with something that has Fender on the head stock I would think JHS would need to look at their pricing here.

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Save your money and just spend hours in guitar stores trying Strats until you decide if you can get along with them.

The get a real Strat, a used Fender Player Strat for under $500. That’s what I did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.