Budget Player Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AZMLI, Jul 18, 2019.

1. AZMLI

AZMLI TDPRI Member

I'm in the market for a budget telecaster, and have a budget of about $250-300. I'm looking for a player, with two single coils.

I used to have a Fender Standard (MIM) Telecaster, which I loved, but I had to sell it for various reasons. Now even used, that's beyond my budget.

At best, I'm a novice guitar player. I'm currently learning "Folsom Prison Blues". I not very worried about the best tone. I do need it to be playable with nothing more than a setup to factory specs. The frets need to be dressed, and ready to play. I don't want to have to pay to have a nut fixed or replaced.

I've been looking at Squiers, Xavieres, Austins, etc; watching YouTube Videos, and reading.

I've gone into local shops, but most of their teles are under 200 or well over 300, and it's not like most of them bother to do any QA on the guitars on the floor.

I'm leaning toward getting a Squier Standard from Elderly Instruments. They setup and check all their new guitars before shipping. I thought about a Squier CV 50's but they're $100 - $150 more. I thought about getting a Xaviere XV-820, but what's Guitar Fetishes QA like?

Thoughts? My head is swimming.

- Patrick

Skydog1010 and NothingGoatboat like this.
  2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

For 300$ u can find Classic Vibe Telecaster by Squier, Vintage Blonde is really sexy colour. Pickup are nice and bluesy. Go for it

3. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I agree with trying to find a classic vibe used. Best quality option for that price.

Dismalhead, DanDII, AZMLI and 2 others like this.
  4. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Squier, for sure. A lot of them play as good as MIMs. Or check out Harley Benton or GFS

AZMLI likes this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

No no harley bentons, they hit and miss. Dont please. I live in Europe .

Go for Squier Classic Vibe tele

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I'd go for a Classic Vibe.

I wouldn't go for Harley Benton either, unless you want to buy mine... You can have it cheap... It was a TE-70 but even not worth 50 euros if you ask me.

7. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

You're probably right. Classic Vibes are far more consistent. Classic vibe gets my vote.

NewKid, nicod98, DanDII and 2 others like this.
  8. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Classic vibe used is in your range and an amazing instrument.

You can also check out school brand at www.rondomusic.com.

Not bad stuff for 120.00.

AZMLI and bgmacaw like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's what I'd get if I was keeping it really cheap: https://www.rondomusic.com/Furrian_MN_Alder_PBU.html I have one of their older models and it's been really good. The neck radius is like 13.7" which is really flat. I like that since I play a lot of slide on it.

The Squier Standard Tele is pretty good. I had a used one a while ago that I loaned (aka gave) to a family friend's kid. I paid like $60 for it.

AZMLI likes this.
  10. AZMLI

AZMLI TDPRI Member

Where does one find a $300 used Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster? I've been scouring Craigslist and Reverb, and the best I can find is $325 + $50 shipping.

11. RoCkstAr256

With some small "relic" scrateches you can find these. Here in Poland thet go dor 300 to 350 used. New one is 450$

AZMLI likes this.
  12. Mosstone

Mosstone TDPRI Member

I got my CV new from Sweetwater for $350 (I just asked my rep if he could give me a discount... They're good like that). You should be able to find a used one for $250-$300. Check Guitar Center's used site. I've gotten lots of good deals there.

If you don't get a CV, I think you're wasting your money. A Standard is ok, but the CVs are exceptional and need zero mods in my opinion.

I also like SX Furrians, as @bgmacaw suggested, but those are real modder guitars. I love the necks and the fretwork has always been good, but everything else on those guitars have got to go... Especially the nut. I've never seen a Furrian that didn't have a borked nut.

AZMLI likes this.
  13. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

They are often offered over here for about 300 euros.

Paid 300 and 275 for a BSB
    250 for the VB
    300 for the CVC, but 250 for the white CVC
    275 fro the Thinline...

I'd say it's possible for around 300.

Got me one with a slight ding (I think repairable) for 180 euros a few weeks ago... I call that a bargain...

But if the CV is too expensive, I can second the idea of getting a Standard (price new is less than 300), they don't sell often on the second hand market. If that is even too much, get a Bullet, give it a fret job, setup, replace the nut, electronics and perhaps the pickups. It will still cost you less than 300 euros.

AZMLI likes this.
  14. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

I have an SX Furrian ,and it is pretty good for the price.
    There is one on Reverb right now that will cost you $156.00 shipped.

Zzounds has a Squier CV for $33.34 a month for 12 months,no interest.
    Make the first payment with a small fee ( under $20.00 I believe )
    and they ship it out.

Skydog1010 and AZMLI like this.
  15. horax

horax Tele-Holic

AZMLI likes this.
  16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, Patrick. Grab a Squier Classic Vibe 50's, but check out the newest ones first. They recently moved production out of China, so they may have actually gotten better!

The Chinese version has alnico 3 or alnico 5 pickups (depending upon which color you buy), which are unbranded Tonerider pickups - very nice!

AZMLI likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Mine was an STL-50 and the nut was good on it. I've done a lot of mods on it but that's why I bought it.

AZMLI likes this.
  18. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

If you have 300, spend it on a neck, and if you have any money left over, buy a cheap, solid bridge pickup.

Save up and get the rest. If you can’t do that, you shouldn’t have bought the neck in the first place ;) and a used body and pickguard and the rest ain’t that much.

If you like Johnny Cash, I say you need a good neck, some kind of single coil bridge, and very little else!

Skydog1010 and AZMLI like this.
  19. MonkeyJefferson

Most of this other stuff you’re looking at won’t scratch the itch.

AZMLI likes this.
  20. MonkeyJefferson

From here, the world is your tele oyster, and you’ll like your neck right from the start.

AZMLI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.