Budget pickups for classic Tele sound?

Xingchoolin

NEW MEMBER!
Hi everyone!

I have a HB cheap Telecaster with SD Hot for Tele pickups. They sound ok but I'm after that classic, quacky sound. I've read about Fender Tex Mex, Texas Specials,... but I'm pretty sure there are cheaper alternatives to get that classic, twangy sound, right?
I have Les Pauls, Strats and some super Strats, so now I'd like to have a Tele that sounds like an old school Tele.

I'm based in the UK. Any suggestions?

Kindest regards.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I knew when i read this i would look at your post count and you'd be new here. Otherwise you would be well aware of Bootstrap pickups. He charges $50 USD for a tele set and i assure you they are as good as anything from duncan or dimarzio etc etc. They are all i use anymore. Only issue is because they are so good and inexpensive he's always backed up on orders and lead time is usually a month. But it;s worth the wait. Now being in the UK i am not sure what shipping would be and even if he ships internationally, but heres the site if you want to check it out. If u email him it may take time for an answer because as i said he's always overwhelmed with orders. https://bootstrappickups.com/
By the way, i'd recommend the Palo Duro set for a vintage tele sound. And if he doesn't ship international you may find some used on ebay of reverb etc.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I'd suggest these

they'll cost you less than £60 for the pair and they have fibre bobbins, steel baseplate etc.

They are good quality pickups... I have the overwound bridge in my esquire but the regular ones will be more what you are looking for.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Dont know what your budget is, but I’ve fitted an Oil City Pickups Wapping Wharf to my Esquire and that is a cracking pickup. It’s a coil tapped pickup based on their Honky Tonk Angel model.
Definitely check them out.

Reactions: BB

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Isn't Bare Knuckle Pickups made in the UK? Try them.

What's your opinion of a "classic" Tele tone? Examples?

Welcome to the forum!!

They are, but they aren't what I would call 'budget' .... they are £200 a set for the 'standard' range, £150 for the 'bootcamp' ones (which I've never been that impressed with) They are kind of inline with Duncans and stuff like that.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They are, but they aren't what I would call 'budget' .... they are £200 a set for the 'standard' range, £150 for the 'bootcamp' ones (which I've never been that impressed with) They are kind of inline with Duncans and stuff like
Have you looked at "Axerus"?

Looks like their prices may be more to your budget. Selections cover several "classic" offerings.

Andertons?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Have you looked at "Axerus"?

Looks like their prices may be more to your budget. Selections cover several "classic" offerings.

Andertons?

I'm not looking for budget pickups, but if I were I've recommended what I would use already.

Sorry, I shouldn't have commented on your post, it's not my place to criticize your suggestion when you were only trying to help and in addition to that I seem to have caused confusion too.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm not looking for budget pickups, but if I were I've recommended what I would use already.

Sorry, I shouldn't have commented on your post, it's not my place to criticize your suggestion when you were only trying to help and in addition to that I seem to have caused confusion too.
No, I'm bad. I lost track who was the OP.

Got distracted. It happens.

The OP should have plenty of options in the UK I would think. Maybe not.

You would think that SD, Fender or DiMarzio would have distribution there.

Seems like someone there would carry a set of Fender OV's or DiMarzio Twang Kings.

blackmonday

TDPRI Member
I got a used set of Fender USA Tele pickups on reverb for my squier and it sounds fantastic now. someone bought a brand new American Tele and changed out the pickups. Worked for me!

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Lower your existing pickups as low as they go without falling off the elevator screws.
That will fix overly hot, muddy, and 'ceramic magnets' tone problems.

Pick between the bridge pickup and the saddles, in a 'lifting out' motion. Rest your palm behind the lip of the bridge plate.

Use Delay, Reverb, and Compression.

Over time you can tip up the bridge pickup for a little more bass side and the neck pickup for a little more treble side. You can raise the bridge pickup to balance with neck pickup output volume.

mostinterestingpickupswapping.jpg

old soul

Tele-Holic
'Budget' means different things to different people, but boot strap(if he is currently taking orders), tone riders(I have these and love them), but I really want to try the Wilkinson low gauss ceramic Nashville pickups. I've listened to quite a few sound clips and really liked them, and they're about $30 for the set