Buddy says he's 40 & lonely....so I said:

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I have been married longer than I have been single. I was thinking on this the other day and sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I not married my wife.
I dream that I would have finished college and gotten a high paying job, built my dream house, bought a corvette or a cobra, bought a plane, got my teeth fixed, and still fit into my High School jeans.

But in reality that dream probably would not have happened. I probably would have ended up dropping out of school because I liked to party too much, started working in a factory to make ends meet, and either drank myself to death or started doing drugs off of the lady twenty years my senior who let me live with her if I cleaned the clocks every now and again.

So I just sit back, drink my coffee and thank my wife for giving me the life that I have.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have been married longer than I have been single. I was thinking on this the other day and sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I not married my wife.
I dream that I would have finished college and gotten a high paying job, built my dream house, bought a corvette or a cobra, bought a plane, got my teeth fixed, and still fit into my High School jeans.

But in reality that dream probably would not have happened. I probably would have ended up dropping out of school because I liked to party too much, started working in a factory to make ends meet, and either drank myself to death or started doing drugs off of the lady twenty years my senior who let me live with her if I cleaned the clocks every now and again.

So I just sit back, drink my coffee and thank my wife for giving me the life that I have.
Wives are the bane of some, and the blessing of life for others. When you marry, and it's a good marriage, the wife keeps you working, keeps you out of jail, keeps you keeping on.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Your friend should get outside. I've never really been alone in my adult life but if I was seeking out companionship, run clubs and fun runs are a great place to meet people. Don't run? Start! It costs very little to get into and the benefit to your health is immense. Cycling is another fun sport, gravel races are a blast and there are many sociable people at these things. Road cycling is usually a bit stiffer and less social, gravel is looser and has a larger draw.

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
The grass is always greener on the other side. Whenever I'm married (3rd time now), after the honeymoon period (however long it may be) I start thinking what I'd do if I could be on my own again. And when I become single, I start looking around for some life companion again. And so the story goes....

Being 40 and lonely seems like someone got lost in the forest and can't find the way back. Any other way it's a choice, not a circumstance.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
47 year old here...never been married, no kids. I had a few relationships, but I really am looking for something more long term. It has been so many years since I've been with someone, I'm not even sure I know how to act if/when she comes around.

Being alone is a double-edged sword.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
I can understand how a person can feel this way. Some people can feel lonely in a crowded room of friends sometimes. I can remember times when I all I wanted was just same dang time to myself to collect my thoughts. I guess you should be careful what you wish for.

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
Wives are the bane of some, and the blessing of life for others. When you marry, and it's a good marriage, the wife keeps you working, keeps you out of jail, keeps you keeping on.
I'm just tryin
To keep my daughters off the pole
And my sons out of jail
Tryna get to church, so I don't go to hell
I'm just tryna keep my wife, from figuring out
That I married up, and she married way way down
In Alabama, where they love Nick Saban
Just tryin to write a song, that the local country station'll play
I'm just tryna stay out of AA

Last edited:

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
It's not your job to fix anyone (and you can't). If it's a friend, sometimes they just need to be heard. One thing better folks have tried to teach me because my instinct is to respond like this. Maybe lay off the prescriptions and just share understandings and experiences. Your friend felt close enough to open up about what's weighing him down. You're not going to turn anyone's life around by giving them a list of things to do differently.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I don’t know if I’m wired differently or what but I have no desire for companionship right now and view short term companionship as mostly a hassle

Would it be nice? Sometimes….

But I’d rather be alone most the time

Maybe just haven’t found the right one yet, maybe never will… does that bother me? Not at this point
I'm very much the same way. I've been in many relationships, several live-in, married once, now divorced, and just can't get interested in being "in" a relationship now. Oh, it would be nice to have someone now and then to do things with, but even that would get complicated.

An ex co-worker and her friends recently came to see us play, and apparently one of them had some interest in me. I had to put the brakes on to that. Just really not interested.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Screenshot_20220120-020527_2.png

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Get into your hobbies or join a team or club or karate or church.
Buy a kayak & a mountain bike & enjoy your health while you still have it.

Women cost too much $$$ & want to control you or FIX you !!
Ask me how I know? (5 kids later!!!!!)
No kids is a financial saving too.

Buy a Harley or a HotRod & the chicks come running..
Just beware the gold-diggers & heart-breakers.
If your gay, well your Golden....

One more thing: NO BOOZE & NO DRUGS & NO GAMBLING...
they've ruined many a man...including me....for real !!!
Why do you think prisons & hell are jammed full? 💀

I wish I was 40 again....66 now &getting grumpy ☕
New camera, new suit....I'm too sexy for my hair...
Get out there & kick some A$$ ! 💪🤠🤟
Gone FISHIN',,,,,,

Rock 'til ya drop !
grass is always greener .. I'm with you, I envy a single man's freedom... Just the idea of waking up and being able to do whatever I wanted again. To paraphrase "Youth is wasted on the young", which I guess is also applicable here, I think freedom is wasted free men.

viking

Friend of Leo's
People should just do , or try to do what makes them happy , at this very moment , IMO....
Im in Italy in a campervan , with my wife , who I would very much like to stay here with me and the dog , thankyou ....
But , this year have been special in that we have seen far more people camping on their own , some are gay , some travel with a dog , some are in their 20s , the oldest we met so far were a French lady in her 60s , just travelling europe on her own in a diminutive camper van .
I dont think I could do it.... if my wife wasnt here , I would probably drown in alcohol , and share the dogs food........