Buddy Rich straight out of star trek and dissing country music.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I don't go by today's standards, as today's standards are pretty lame in many ways, both artistically and socially. Having said that, those first two incidents - it sounds like he doesn't know how to deal with people. Frank Zappa was a task master, and did not tolerate unprofessional performance or behavior. Yet you can read (and hear a few instances) of him dealing with his band members. He never had to threaten and intimidate. There are other examples of band leaders who wouldn't tolerate BS, but didn't need to swear at people and use threats. It's enough to let someone know what they are doing wrong, what the expectation is, and if they don't meet it, that they will be replaced. Then if they don't do what's expected, replace them, no second chances. That gets the job done.

I agree with you in general, but in the case of Buddy Rich, I think there's no reason to speak to people that way. In fact, I've personally experienced that sort of thing as being counter productive. It makes people afraid, then they perform poorly, and actually tend to make more mistakes.

tonytrout likes this.
  2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Most of what I wrote had to do with his comments on the TV show and why he was unable to take country music seriously. I commented on who he was and how great a drummer he was. And at that time, most Jazz players thought jazz music and musicians were where it was at and less serious musicians were novices. And they would tell you that to your face or to an interviewer or TV host. I guess you could say they were snobs. So what?, snobbery is a common thing especially among the elite or great.

I know about the bus incident and other things people like to dig up any time his name is mentioned. That wasn't what the thread was about. I do have an opinion about that, but feel posting here in this thread would be out of line since the OP didn't mention it.

FLHT, johnny k and Mad Kiwi like this.
  3. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Buddy Rich was a taskmaster who didn't tolerate BS and expected his band to be in top form when performing.
    Howlin' Wolf was a taskmaster who didn't tolerate BS and expected his band to be in top form when performing...he was also a decent man who took care of his guys. Paid their taxes so they could collect unemployment when they weren't employed and provided health insurance for his band members.
    People miss the music of both those guys, but I've never heard anyone lament that they miss the a$$hole treatment and insulting comments of people like Buddy. If Buddy hadn't been such an incredible musical talent, his mouth would have made him unemployable in the real world.
    Although...I still enjoyed the clip.

tonytrout and boris bubbanov like this.
  4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

No matter how "great" a drummer is, he is still just a damn drummer. ;):D:D

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I like his schtick.

If you are so much better than anyone else, practiced and trained yourself to such a high level it would be hard to not expect a similar level of performance from anyone else.

johnny k and FLHT like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Drummer in the first band I was in, idolized Rich.

But our drummer was also completely unable to connect with the audience. Much worse at it than even me. But I guess there were guys like Matthew Fisher and Bruce Palmer that didn't interact with the audience - it just meant I needed to be a better showman and I wasn't prepared to be that guy.

I liked to aggravate Jim by talking about how great Gene Krupa was.

johnny k likes this.
  7. Donnie L

Donnie L TDPRI Member

True Story ... my jazz teacher told me the story ... it's been verified and later turned into a joke but I heard this was real ... this guy played with Buddy for years, when Buddy died, he called his home and spoke to his wife "is Buddy home" , "No, Buddy died" "Oh, I'm sorry" ... guy calls the next day , same thing.. Buddy's wife replies " didn't you call, yesterday?" Caller replies, "Yes, I just like to hear it .."

Another person in my town played with Rich for 3 weeks, got fired... Buddy called him back to re-hire him and says " Yeah, but I fire everybody at least 3 times" my friend replied "that's Ok, once is enough for me .. "

Yes, Rich is quoted saying that Carl Palmer has the "fastest hands I've ever seen on a drummer"

I think Rich was a great drummer and a ambassador to jazz drumming keeping it and the genre alive in the fore front as much as he could ... lots of older jazz musicians didn't like and were not tolerant to other music genres... I think it's because jazz got put out of the mainstream with pop and rock music really soured the older generation as their music used to be the mainstream ... I once overheard Jimmy Raney say, "there isn't any jazz music or any other good music since end of the bossa nova movement"

I heard it's on videotape but I have never seen it ... in the mid 80s when Epcot 1st opened at Disneyworld Rich was playing right in front outside the big geo dome to a group of high school, middle school and elementary school children only to verbally cuss out a side musician and throw a cymbal stand at him ... Corporate Disney made him get on the PA and apologize to the audience ... there'a a problem there folks, a real big professional problem... cheers DL

johnny k likes this.
  8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I’m a drummer. Buddy was not human.

johnny k and Bassman8 like this.
  9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Probably most know this but Buddy Rich made some memorable "Tonight Show" appearances. His conversations with Johnny were very funny.

johnny k likes this.
  10. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

There is no amount of talent that justifies behaving like a turd in the short amount of time we have to share this planet together. My blood boils when I see an elder statesmen behaving that way. It enables and emboldens younger musicians to replicate that toxic nonesense.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^But look what is happening here - We’re talking about Buddy Rich and at least half the conversation is about what a tool he could be.

Do you want to be remembered that way ?

In 2016 , Bowie died and a couple months late Prince died.

Of course we knew they were musical pioneers and game changers but a ton of stuff came out about how unbelievably nice (Bowie), extremely generous (Prince) they were and regular folks went out of their way to say how great they both were in encounters with them.

In the same year, a country rock superstar died between Bowie and Prince.

The only thing you heard about that guy was from his rich fellow musicians and it was about - the music. Period.

We get what we deserve ? Probably

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    johnny k and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Sometimes "great drummers" remind me a lot of shredder guitarists in many ways......
    Just sayin' and take it for what it is.......

johnny k likes this.
  13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I'll take Gene Krupa over Buddy any day.

johnny k, RoarDog and chulaivet1966 like this.
  14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

It will be better for the reader if you could put a few spaces in your wall of text please.

15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Carl has his own ego issues to deal with, but I wouldn't say he's just lucky. The guy has some serious chops.

johnny k and FLHT like this.
  16. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Buddy Rich was a pathological egomaniac, treated people like garbage...drumming was his only redeemable quality. Listen to some of the recordings of the way he talked to his crew, I'd be in jail on assault charges if a man spoke to me like that.

...On second thought I'm glad I'm not the type that reads biographies etc. ignorance is bliss in that respect. I just listen to the music mainly. I'm sure some of my favorite musicians were total turds in real life.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    johnny k and chulaivet1966 like this.
  17. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I was a drummer also for many years.
    You stole my thunder!....I was going to post the same thing....:)

I would never criticize BR's particular musicianship but his seemingly perpetual M60 snare work was never that pleasing to my ears.

As far as I'm concerned....nothing justifies his arrogance and treatment of fellow musicians.

But, that's just me....carry on.

johnny k likes this.
  18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I don't know much about him, he might have been a straight upahole as well. But he was an entertainer as well.

19. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Nah you wouldn't have to worry about Buddy, you'd have to worry about the six goons he had with him. Besides you think he'd want to hurt his hands?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.