Buddy Guy

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Jun 13, 2011.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Been watching a lot of compilations lately, special guest appearances with established bands and i've noticed how Buddy tends to kick the onstage energy up another notch-something raw and primal happens. It suddenly becomes the Buddy Guy show no matter who's onstage. He's still a dangerous man.

What's your favorite Buddy Guy tune?

2. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

I love that Stones footage. As soon as Buddy Guy opens his mouth and sings one word, you're like "Mick who ?". And that close-up... Got me transfixed when I saw it in the theatre. Buddy's one of the last true Blues legends ( no pun intended ).

3. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Love Buddy Guy -- from the solid backing guitar on Muddy's Folk Singer album, to the insane reverb'd leads on Sweet Tea, he's got it going on.

4. elihu

Exactly. Notice how Mick's harp playing gets a lot better with Buddy in his face. And Keith and Ronnie are just falling all over him.

5. elihu

Put up something Wilbur...i wanna hear it through your ears. :)

6. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

This is wha I'an talkin' 'bout :twisted::

7. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

8. elihu

Hard to argue with Sweet Tea. I Gotta Try You Girl is another killer. But i dig the way Buddy can make it happen with just an acoustic too. Great voice.

For Maxwell Street...love the band interaction in this one...drummer's really watchin'...horn's are great...bass player's pushing...:cool:

9. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

10. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Saw him headline the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival 3-4 years ago. Some dangerous lightning storms came rolling through, but he kept playing until the organizers cut the power and sent everyone home. He was great!

11. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

The Man is a must see for the guitar enthusiast, and the consumate entertainer. His tonal pallate is as broad a any player- from high & tight to raunchy & spacious, and then some. Yes, I prefer Telecasters, but Buddy can really stretch a Strat as well as any player ever lived.

12. sbpirate

sbpirate Tele-Holic

How would you like to be in this kid's shoes

13. elihu

So what's the best song and why? No one gets out of this thread without answering two questions WaylonFan76. ;)

What I'm thinking about Buddy now is this-he's all about trying to make the moment happen....about connecting with the magic, the inner muse, whatever and express it now. This explains to me his fearlessness, taking chances and falling when he misfires. And he falls a lot IMO, sometimes his guitar technique just comes off as sloppy-which to us guitarheads is the ultimate sin. But he's proven himself over and over in the 1950's and the 1960's and i'm guessin' Buddy could give a flying flip about a guitar player's analysis of his use of the pentatonic scale.

14. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

Some harder stuff here:

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just saw him in Nashville a few weeks ago at the Ryman with B.B. The man is a major presence on stage and IMHO he can play with anyone. He does his usual gimics during a show, but he is an entertainer. I've been listening to his latest cd Living Proof and I think the song Thank Me Someday indicates the drive and effort he has put into his music over the years. Awesome Strat player and he was killer on an Electric Sitar as well. Given the total package of musician and performer, he still rocks.

16. elihu

He's a master of the playing with total abandon technique! That's the **** man, thanks for posting.

Even Big Mama Thornton.

My favorite version of Hound Dog.

17. elihu

One more then i got to shuffle off to work.

18. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

Saw Buddy in April. He brought another Buddy Guy with him - Buddy the Clown. But Buddy the Clown was entertaining even if he talks more than he plays and never finishes a song. But Dangerous Buddy Guy played for 2 songs and was just devastating.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Long time Buddy fan. Seen him about 10 times, been to Legends on Chicago a few. He's still got it. Anyone see him do "I'm 74 Years Young" on Leno a couple months ago? Nuff said.

20. 6stringelectric

6stringelectric Tele-Meister

And while you were slippin' out
    somebody else was

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.