Buddy Guy

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mbr, Jul 28, 2021.

1. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

Buddy Guy on American Masters on PBS last night was a particularly good episode.
    Look up "humble" in the dictionary and you'll see Buddy's picture.

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Excellent......excellent.....excellent episode. Always giving everyone his' due.

3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Watched most of it.

Great stuff.

JeffBlue likes this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Watched it and loved it.

JeffBlue likes this.
  5. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

you can't watch Buddy and not smile.

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

This album absolutely kills.

[​IMG]

7. MTPoteet

MTPoteet Tele-Meister

I watched it as well, then immediately searched his tour schedule and found he is playing a small theater here in Sept.
    I went to book tickets and was informed that "These tickets may be higher than face value" I thought OK, it's Buddy Guy.
    So, back of the theater $113.00, not my preferred seats, but I'm on a budget these days and even that is a little high for me. Again it's Buddy Guy.
    So I click x2 and go the check out. There is an additional $39.00 processing or handling fee or whatever per ticket, bringing the total to $309.00. again, the second to last row in the theater!
    Then there is a recommended ticket guarantee, whatever that is for an additional $10.00 per ticket bringing the cost up to about $330.00 bucks, plus parking downtown at least another $20.00 to $30.00. Plus drinks etc....
    That's half way to the cost of a new player Strat.
    I saw him 3 or 4 years ago with Jeff Beck (another one of my favorites) for under $80.00 So I called BS on this show. This morning I got an e mail from the ticket agency offering %20 off. I bet they don't sell out.
    I've seen him twice before, I' have to just be happy with my memories.
    So I booked Ana Popovic for Under $80 in a small bar!
    Alls well that ends well. Sorry for the rant.

as5431 likes this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Dang it. I wish I could have seen it…I love Buddy Guy.

I met him at the old Antone’s on 23rd & Guadeloupe (Austin, Texas), right before “Damn Right I Got The Blues” came out...late 1990.

It was a Saturday night...we’d driven down from Fort Worth (200 miles or so), hoping to meet Kim Wilson and see Buddy Guy. I was 20 and my friend was 17 or 18, but used his brother’s ID.

For some reason I rarely (if ever) got carded, even though I looked about 17 years old...so I bluffed my way in.

The fantabulous early-1990’s Antone’s house band opened up the evening, with Kim Wilson acting as frontman—singing and playing harp. Amazing show—so much so, we thought we’d be disappointed by the headliner (spoiler alert: we weren’t)...

My compadre and I snuck backstage to get Mr. Wilson’s autograph, and happened across Mr. Guy, in all his Gheri-Curl glory, sittin’ and sippin’ at a table in an office.

I had ripped a flyer off the wall in order to get autographs (I always carry a sharpie), so he first signed a picture of Katie Webster...he also signed a $2 bill (which I also got Kim Wilson to sign as well).

We were polite, calling him “Mr. Guy,” and not acting too familiar, so as to not overstep our bounds. He seemed happy that we were so deferential, and told us to sit down. He sent his personal waitress to go get us a drink, and chuckled at us eyeballing the vintage Stratocaster laying on the table.

“Go ahead—I know you wanna!”

He allowed each of us to pick up and strum the guitar, complimented my friend (he was/is a better guitarist) and chatted amiably while we drank our drinks.

Suddenly, a bouncer appeared out of nowhere and demanded, “HEY! What are y’all doing back here!”

Crap.

We hadn’t heard Buddy Guy play a note and we were about to get thrown out on our collective butt.

Plus, we were both underaged and thought we could be in trouble on that front (the things you worry about when you’re underaged in a bar)...

Mr. Guy looked up and said, “They talkin’ to me!

The bouncer looked sheepish and said, “Oh! Um, ok...no problem...” and beat a hasty retreat.

After the bouncer walked down the hall, Buddy asked us, “What ARE y’all doin’ back here?”

I said the first thing I could think...

We’re talkin’ to you!

He laughed uproariously and slapped his hand on the desk...he called the bouncer back and said, “Put these boys right in front of me. I want them to feel the sweat drippin’ off of me—I want them to smell the funk!”

The bouncer complied.

We watched the (kick-butt) show until ~3:30AM, drove back to Fort Worth, showered and shaved and went to our religious meeting at 10:00 that Sunday morning.

My mother, unimpressed by my newfound rambling habit, demanded to know what I had been doing the previous night.
    “Aw, nothin’ Mom...just hanging out and drinking a beer with Buddy Guy.”

She didn’t believe it until I showed her the $2 bill.

After the religious services, I went home and crashed until Austin City Limits came on channel 13 at 6:00PM.

But there’s more to the story...

A decade and a half later, I was perusing eBay for some new music to buy; I found a bootlegged CD that said, “Buddy Guy and the Antone’s House Band, featuring Kim Wilson, live at Antone’s, 1990”

It couldn’t be...could it?

I bought it and found that it was a recording of a live radio broadcast on an Austin radio station (much like Stevie Vaughan’s “In The Beginning” album) that somebody ensconced away and later pressed CDs of the show.

And sure enough, during a slightly quiet moment in the show, I heard half-lit 20-year-old me yell, “YEAH!!”

The signed $2 bill now resides in that CD case...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  9. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks for the recommendation, listening and enjoying it now!

10. joealso

joealso Tele-Afflicted

Sorry I missed that. I saw Buddy live a few years ago. He invited a kid from the audience up on stage to play with them for a song or 2. I thought that was pretty cool. He also did an extended solo as he walked through the audience. I had an aisle seat in the balcony and was really excited as he strolled by.

JeffBlue likes this.
  11. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have seen him twice. He was great both times. I have read his biography. It is wonderful. And this American Masters show was outstanding.

I was in a band once where Mustang Sally was on the list. (That’s kind of a no-no around Dallas.) I said,”I’ll play it, but I get to do the Buddy Guy solo! That “Guy” can make any song great.

Fiesta Red, JeffBlue and PhredE like this.
  12. 72_Custom

72_Custom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Great documentary. Great player. And, in the spirit of this forum, do you all notice the photo of him playing a Tele with the Yardbirds in ‘65?

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

He had a very small role talking with Tommy Lee Jones
    In The Electric Mist. I thought he did very well. I don’t know how many movie roles he’s had, but he was very good in this one.
    Excuse me, I gots to go stair my beans.
    Go Buddy,

Fiesta Red and JeffBlue like this.
  14. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Wow that's an amazing story. So cool!

After hearing his life story it's truly touching, the hard times that him and his parents especially had to endure as sharecroppers. Those polka dots really mean alot as a tribute to his mother.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    JeffBlue, Cali Dude and Fiesta Red like this.
  15. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I hope you're listening to it on something that can handle really deep bass. Necessary for full appreciation of the second track.

Old Plank likes this.
  16. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

He's gonna be here in mid-September at the SF Opera with Samantha Fish. I'd really love to go, but it's awful spendy (tix start at ~$75), a Sunday night, and I'm mostly ignorant to Mr. Guy. Maybe this doc will sway me.

JeffBlue likes this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe this can sway you further:

-He played with Muddy Waters—hand-chosen by Muddy to be the second guitarist on the “Folk Singer” album, against the wishes of Leonard Chess, who didn’t care for Buddy Guy’s style for some reason.
    -He backed up dozens of other artists, but seek out his live videos backing up Big Mama Thornton.
    -He massively influenced Hendrix and SRV…so much so, that you’ll hear certain licks that you Thought were by Jimi or Stevie, and you’ll realize they stole them from him.
    -Just like Muddy, he encourages young/hungry players and tries to promote them and Blues in general.

18. 72_Custom

72_Custom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I can’t definitively prove this, but I suspect that he was the first guitar player to make a recording through a Leslie on “Hoodoo Man Blues” from 1965. Yet another Buddy Guy innovation.

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I wish everyone had a story this good. :cool:

20. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Seen Buddy many times. My favorite was in a little club in Boulder called the Coast in the early 80’s This was before the polka dots and such and he was playing a Guild thin line through a Marshall stack. Unbelievable evening. Also saw him at a record store in Denver and he did a solo acoustic set and signed his new album. When he’s on he’s the best.

JeffBlue and Cali Dude like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.