Bucky Pizzarelli died,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

stevemc, Teleguy61 and brookdalebill like this.
  2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

……………... :(

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I saw. Very sad. Bucky was an early influence for me.

My first Bucky album was Love Songs. I'd never heard 7-string fingerstyle jazz before. The album that he and John did with Johnny Frigo was simply wonderful.

4. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Saw him live in '92 in a tiny cafe'. What a player. It's like a library of irreplaceable music has just been burned to the ground. What a loss!

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

That makes me really sad! I love his playing, but his books ... these are the books that I learned a lot of my essential skills on the guitar from: swing rhythm guitar and fingerstyle jazz. An amazing talent has left us.

MonkeyJefferson and ASATKat like this.
  6. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Great player and innovator. He had a great run.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Great player, excellent musician, sad news.
    His son is also an excellent player.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

His book The Creative Guitarist only saw a short run. Imo that was due to the typesetting errors all throughout it which were easy to spot and fix. Just fixing the errors was truly a learning experience. For me this has been the one truly eye opening book that I own, and I have a couple hundred books, due to the fact I lived only 50mi from SF and the great music book store called Guitar Solo. It was on Clement, right off of the GG bridge going into the city. Guitar Solo had a huge reputation for having every new book or transcription out there. People came to that store from all over the solar system, but mostly it was the bay area people like me. Over the 10 or so years I frequented the store like I bought 200+ books. Through that process I learned first hand what a good book was and what a bad book was, some had great presentations and some were lousy presentations which I often didn't notice till after I bought it.

An example of bad presentation is Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry. This is a book on how Ted's brain works, his musical intelligence. What it failed at for me, was delivering those goods to me.
    Back in the 80s I was a total greenhorn, I didn't know good things to study vs less effective study. Chord Chemistry is a work of brilliance, genius but I never really got past the first page of examples. And 30yrs later rarely if ever look at it. And at 66 I am still very active with my books,

Anyway,,, I needed something easier and less painful than Chord Chemistry and that's where The Creative Guitarist book showed up at Guitar Solo, about '88.

It's all about three note structures, three note chords are arguably the most popular jazz guitar chord used in chord melody.

The three note approach to chord melody is very popular with more modern players like Sco, Metheny, Lage, and Frisell who I really am inspired by using it. And it all goes back to Jim Hall and his influence on these sort of players.

Bucky's approach for me has become a window into a foundation to explore players like Hall and Frisell even though the two guitarists sound totally different. They share a similar foundation. But Bill hasn't come out with a simple book on his foundation, so Bucky serves that purpose and gives me the foundation.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    swingtime likes this.
  9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I saw the them together, in NYC, and It changed me, I learned so much just by watching.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  10. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

Just the same for me. I have copied this book in Rotterdam library, never saw an original again. There is, also, another book, which I bought on a secondhand market called 'The Romance of the Chordal Guitar Sound'. This gem has basicly the same information as 'The Creative Guitarist" condensed in 3 pages, along with 10 pages of examples. You could order a cassette tape with it. (Still like to hear this ...)

Ted Greene: exactly how I see this book, too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.