bucking transformer problem

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
a bit of rob's and jazzman's bucking transformer. no pilot light, no on/off switch and no switch for the bucking. should be simpler but.....

i'm having a bit of a problem and would like you to look at my setup to see any problems. i can get wall voltage from the 3 prong cord to the fuse and then to each side of hot connections of the outlet but nothing in between going thru the transformer to the lights. i'm using jazzman's idea but without the on/off switch.

i have black to fuse. other side of fuse to tag strip where one primary is connected. off of that same side of fuse are the opposite side secondary and a red/yellow wire going to the hot side of the wall voltage red led. the other primary goes to the tag strip where the neutral white is connected. it goes to the neutral side of the outlet. the green ground is connected to the tag strip and then to the ground connection of the outlet via the blue wire. the secondary CT goes to the green led hot side. the red/blue wires go from the hot side of each the green and amber lights to each hot side of the broken tab outlet. the small black wires go from each of the neutral sides of the leds , red to green to yellow and then to one of the non broken tab neutral screws of the outlet.

i'm enclosing a couple of pics.
thanks in advance.
mikeB

Attachments​

• hook1.jpeg
    hook1.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 1
  • hook2.jpeg
    hook2.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 5.08.36 PM.png

Last edited:

andrewRneumann

Friend of Leo's
i'm having a bit of a problem and would like you to look at my setup to see any problems. i can get wall voltage from the 3 prong cord to the fuse and then to each side of hot connections of the outlet but nothing in between going thru the transformer to the lights. i'm using jazzman's idea but without the on/off switch.

I’m having trouble understanding. Are you getting full wall voltage at the outlets, or is the bucking working? (Or is it boosting?)

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
Check that your home mains outlet is wired properly. Hot measured to ground should give mains voltage. Neutral measured to ground should be 0.
Both outlets? Did you remember to break the bridging tab on the hot side of the outlet?
andrew: i tested at two different wall outlets.
dsutton: yes both outlets. yes, bridging tab separated
thanks,