Buck Owens - Don Rich tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nashd, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Tele-Meister

Hey Lerb, Do you think those threaded saddle barrels were in any way a factor in the sound of those mid 60's Telecasters (besides the pickups and the 1 meg volume pot)? I may be opening a can of worms here but I'm just interested in your or anyone else's thoughts on this.
    Eric Ellis

2. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Don Rich as I understand didn't turn his guitar up all the way, he turned up the amp and lowered his volume on the guitar. I know when I do this it really gets close.

3. johnny114

johnny114 TDPRI Member

I read that Wes Montgomery did the same thing.

4. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

I remember reading a Don Rich interview one time, that he used the studio amps at Capitol in L.A. on the records. I think they were Tweed Bassmans.

5. nashd

nashd TDPRI Member

Last night I cranked up the treble on the amp, and I think that might be a good part of the answer. It really emphasised the attack, and removed the slight warmth/woolliness/bloom. This was with the Hot Rails pickup. I’ll need to try the single coil guitar over the next few days.

It’s very powerful, but also very loud! I’ll have to get some hearing protection even for playing at home/recording. The amp was just kicking in with volume around 2. I backed off the volume on the guitar which helped, and it didn’t seem to lose any attack. However, even then it was louder than my ears like.

I noticed on a Youtube video of Don Rich that he worked the volume knob on his guitar – cranked it up for the solo and backed it off again when Buck Owens was singing.

I probably wouldn’t have tried cranking the treble up without the comments about the Twin Reverb’s bright switch, so thanks again. I’m now curious about the bright switch – what does it actually do, and does it have a different effect than simply turning up the treble? My DRRI only has treble and bass controls – I think a Twin Reverb has treble, mid, bass and the bright switch. From what I remember the DRRI has a sweeter, warmer tone than a Twin, but perhaps it’s less suited to these crisper tones.

6. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

Late 60s style pickup in my opinion to get tHat don rich twang, and for pedal steel licks especially; with steel saddles.

The middle neck and bridge are usable.

I just got in the mail today custom made oc duff pickup in the late 60s style with flatpole in a alnico 5- alnico 2 configuration 43 gauge wire wound to 10k! Will probably get a late 60s style neck pickup with more oomph to match my bridge so I can still get those great sounds you hear with late 60s style pickups ! Can't wait to try it out !

7. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I love these kinds of threads/discussions. This is why I joined this forum. Awesome information here fellas!

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Instead of finding a used '64 AV tele, I just bought some '64 pickups and will put them in my American Standard tele that I love to play but want a little more "vintage sound". I really want a Bakersfield sound out it. I hope it does the trick.

9. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Let me know how that sounds when you get it done. I would like to know what you think.

10. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Just remember those pickups have staggered magnets that work best with a 7.25 fingerboard radius. Your AS has a 9.5 radius. It may or may not be an issue depending on how you set your action, to get a balanced volume from string to string.

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

so the consensus is a cranked amp with new strings.
    sounds about right.
    all I hear is a bright tele and bright amp.

stock fralins and a twin reverb gets me in that ballpark

the bright switch doesnt do anything when the amp is turned
    up. It only works for low volumes. it gives a few dbs of treble
    but thats in relation to the other frequencies. Once past
    this point (like past 6 or 7) the switch effect is gone.

12. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

One thing to keep in mind. When they mixed the records, Buck cranked the treble on the board. This would make the mix cut better on AM radio. So, what you are hearing on record now is not what the instruments sounded like.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The bright switch in a Twin is hardwired into the DRRI. As long as your volume is under about 7 it's like engaging the bright switch on the bigger Fenders. the Fender tone stack are really "cut" knobs to my ear. Gain and frequency. So as you turn them up you are increasing volume I think. I've never watched videos but to me it sounds like Don is picking very close to the bridge. I can get that sound with a thick pick and .011s into my DRRI. Picking close to the bridge seems to make the bass tighter and "pop" more. Happy hunting!

14. Speedy East

Speedy East TDPRI Member

In the early days, Buck and Don traveled with something like five Tweed Bassman amps. They used two for PA work, one for Buck, one for Don, one for the bass player. Sometimes they used a sixth one for the fiddle player. Imagine an entire band using nothing but Tweed Bassman amps. Works for me.

15. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

+1

16. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Tele-Meister

ripgtr, You are right. If you want to hear how Don's Telecaster really sounded back then, check out the clips on youtube from the Jimmy Dean Show and the old Buck Owens Ranch shows. It was still a great sounding guitar, just not as bright as when they cranked the highs and mids up when they mixed the studio recordings back then.
    Eric Ellis

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

True. I believe Fuzzy Owen and Buck came up with the high pitched singing and the trebly tele tone thing. Unmistakeable Buck Owens/Bakersfield sound.

18. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Tele-Meister

Speedy East, Don Rich was also the fiddler and I believe he played his fiddle through the same amp he played his Telecaster through. And the type of amps varied after the Buckaroos (and Buck) started flying to their shows.
    Eric Ellis

19. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Buck's reasoning behind the bright tone. He had owned a radio station in Tacoma Washington before moving to Bakersfield. He realized that the treble would cut through on A.M. radio and on juke boxes, making his records stand out from the other artists.

20. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Tele-Meister

Live is not always how it was done in studio. Live sure used amps, but had to. Would not be out of the question to think some recordings were done direct to console.
    Live:
    Try a TBX tone all the way up paired with a volume rolled back to about 2/3 position in tandem with the TBX.
    A good Broadcaster Pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.