1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buck Owens and the Bakersfield Sound

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hpilotman, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

In my opinion and excellent written story about Buck Owens and his influence on musicians.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3458/buck-owens-and-the-buckaroos/

Excerpts:
    "As Owens’ popularity surged, he made a point of avoiding Nashville. Vast differences existed between his guitar-driven, austere Bakersfield sound, emulated by Merle Haggard and Wynn Stewart, and the politics of Nashville’s music industry. In the ’60s, Owens was outspoken in his disdain for Nashville, and wasn’t afraid to make it public. “I didn’t like the music in Nashville… syrupy and so contrived. And I disliked the fact that most of the musicians that had their own bands could not (record with) their own bands. They wouldn’t let ’em.”

"ZZ Top founder/guitarist Billy F Gibbons, a longtime admirer of the Buck Owens Bakersfield sound, told VG, “Buck’s upbeat playing style, without a doubt, brought a new twist into country music. With his interesting band of renegade musicians, the sound emanating from his trusty Telecaster, twanked and tonked its way to the top of the charts, inspiring all of us who love his six-string thing.”

Gibbons’ presentation piece to Buck, a black, rhinestone-encrusted, souped-up Esquire-styled solidbody, was one of the final additions the interesting array of custom guitars so well known to Owens’ showbiz-savvy personality. Built by John Bolin’s “House Of JB,” Gibbons says, “The instrument features the latest in frontline hardware and electronics. A genuine showpiece!”

2. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

When I was a kid, my parents would watch Hee Haw. I alternately cringed at the corniness of the show, leered at the girls in their Daisy Dukes, and was strangely intrigued by the sound coming from the guitars played on the show. Now, years later, I realize how influential the segments with Buck were to my musical tastes and predilections.

3. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

Buck's Crystal Palace is a mile from my house. We've seen many shows there.

Bob M likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I don't know why I seem to like sparkly Teles...

Bob M and GFrank like this.
  5. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Bucks own words in an interview.

10. Buck, last year you played with my absolute favorite artist, Gary Allan. Who was the most memorable person you have ever played with? And why?

"The most memorable person I ever performed with was Don Rich; there’s no doubt about it. However, talking about other artists, I owe so much to Johnny Cash, because in 1960 Johnny Cash took me on a tour with him all the way across Canada, down through Seattle and Portland. Then Luther [Perkins, Cash’s guitarist] dropped me off at my house in Bakersfield after the tour. I got to play before tens of thousands of people. Johnny Cash was so hot, and he gave me that opportunity. I sang three or four songs each show. I always felt like I owed Johnny Cash that debt forever. I would never be able to repay him. So, my most memorable person is Johnny Cash. I don’t know anyone that has meant more to country music than Johnny Cash has meant. He’s the absolute champion. Although I’m a fan of many of the others, I’m a great believer in the great Johnny Cash."

buster poser, JRapp and drlucky like this.
  6. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Buck's Piano Player - Jim Shaw

Perfect example of being at the right place at the right time.

Matt Sarad and aeyeq like this.
  7. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Buck with an SG!?

Mind blown!

Matt Sarad likes this.
  8. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Matt Sarad likes this.
  9. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

That's a terrific article. Country music in general never appealed to me much, but whether or not you like the music, Buck Owens and the whole Bakersfield movement is a great story. I loved the details in that article about how they fine-tuned their recordings specifically to sound good over AM radio.

10. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Buck Owens, a true original.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.