1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buck & Don Teles - years?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Rumblur, May 11, 2019.

1. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Buck and Don had several Tele's over the years, we all know this. I know Buck had a 50's white one that was in a fire at some point, and then of course the silver and champagne sparkle guitars in the 60s. What I would like to know is, a chronological order of years when they got / started using the different guitars. And, if at all possible, what blackface amps they used.. I've seen Twins and Deluxes, and I know Brumley used a Super with a 15" at some point. Really don't care anything at all about the tweeds or Gibsons, but blonde/brown/black Fenders - yes, info please!

Random1643 likes this.
  2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Good questions... re Tele's, I do recall reading somewhere that at least Don preferred his 50's Tele tho CBS (possibly Leo, who was working there) didn't like how worn it looked on the telly so they were given new sparkle finish ones. I believe these had the transitional logo which would put them circa '65/'66. The show debut'd in 1966 so this would make sense.

You can see Don's 50's tele on this epi of the JD show..

On this appearance it seems the new Tele's make their debut... note blackface amp..

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

They had an endorsement deal – I think pretty much played whatever Fender gave them.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Then they had a Gibson deal for a while, but that wasn't the right thing.

daddyplaysbass and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  5. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Great thread. Have no expertise in this matters, only interest. I will follow.

6. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I know they had a Fender deal, then Buck got mad at Fender (they wouldn't pay) so he went with Gibson in 1970 and then back with Fender after that, and that's when he "borrowed" the Mosrite "salesman" color scheme as his trademark. What concerns me in particular, is the year of which the silver and champagne guitars are.

Greggorios and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

I think you can safely say they are circa '65, lastest '66. Episode #1 of the Buck Owens show debut'd in 1966. The 2nd Jimmy Dean vid above shows them both playing them (its harder to tell since its b&w though the body binding is visible) so that would put it as early as 1965. Also notice that they are all using blackface amps, where as in first JD vid, (where Don is playing his 50's Tele) Holly is plugged into a white tolex bassman head so it would seem to me they got their Fender deal between these appearances on the JD show. Here's episode #1 of TBOS and again notice all black face amps... the transitional Fender logo can be seen on both guitars.

Just found this tdpri thread as well - http://www.tdpri.com/threads/buck-owens-silver-sparkle-tele-red-white-blue-sparkle-tele.62422/

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Random1643, Kingpin and Rumblur like this.
  8. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

so the general consensus is the silver sparkle and gold sparkle Tele's were 1965 and/or 1966 models?

9. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Good news for Buck. His haircut is trendy again.

10. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a '65 Fender Villager.

11. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

The Fender Villager was a 12-string with the "hockey stick" headstock. I owned an unplayable Villager back in the same era.

12. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Much of the amp and guitar chronology is revealed in the (fairly) recent book "Buck 'Em". A great read for any Buck Owens fan! Still available on Amazon and from other book sellers.

It is interesting to read Buck's "somewhat sanitized" version of his own lifestyle (he recorded the information for the book on cassette before his death) compared to someone like Keith Richard's book "Life"; both of which have significant portions of the story taking place in the 1960's USA.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the guitars it is in there...Bucks favorite amp was a beloved 4X10 tweed Bassman, later recovered in black tolex, that he and Don toured with and played out out of together as a duo. He once said that amp was the best because "it would get the highs without thinning out too much".

Buck

13. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In “Buck ‘Em” he says he bought his first Tele (used) in 1951, and the pic of him playing at the Blackboard Club (1951-1958) shows a blackguard Tele.
    Another pic of him in the studio in the 60s shows a blonde Tele with an 8-screw white pick guard.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  14. Vark45

Vark45 TDPRI Member

A couple weeks ago I was at the Songbirds Museum in Chattanooga Tn. They have Don's sparkle Telecaster on display. If I remember correctly (I'm old...haha!) they said it was a '64.

-Shawn

15. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

There’s one of Don’s at the Country Music Hall Of Fame....
    6C7A1EE9-49E7-4A11-90E6-CC75D12979FE.jpeg
    B043890D-BBF2-470B-B9B2-31B5AA9455B0.jpeg
    48502821-CEE7-4C0D-99F7-C2FF9165E25E.jpeg
    AAD0DE36-307F-4FA6-B3E6-A3CC73A12F11.jpeg

16. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I'd read him saying that was his favorite, and someone posted about them repairing/restoring it for him. The "blackface" years were crippled tonally IMHO, because he EQ'd the records to sound good through the single crappy dash speaker of a chevy pickup truck. Had he had the foresight to tune the amp for a full rich sound, good grief... TONE for days! I'm no fan of the nasal tweed sound, but I can see where in his time and place it was useful.

17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    A TDPRI member...lerb21... knows that stuff and has posted extensively about it

Search him up and enjoy your reading

2 Headed Goat and Kezzell like this.
  18. twang junkie

twang junkie Tele-Meister

From what I have read Bucks white tele was a 1962 with an early 50s neck and the silver sparkle was a 64. Gotta love Buck

2 Headed Goat and preactor like this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

When I think of Don Rich, I think of a pointy object headed towards my eye. He had the tone that cuts like a knife - a "Buck" knife, lol.

Fretting out likes this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Is it just me or are the Saddles screws really bent on the silver tele?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.