1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bryant & West

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jericho60, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

I can't believe I'm actually getting to a point where I'm able to make some sense of Jimmy Bryant's playing. But oh my gosh, it's like pulling out my own teeth, one by one. So little of his playing falls into any kind of framework that I am familiar with.

Any other Jimmy Bryant-olo-gists?

2. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Trying to work out Yodeling Guitars. Job has put a hold on it, but I have it up to the 45second mark. The 2nd half of the song is the hard part!

Have a thread of it going somewhere. No updates, because no progress since sadly...

Basically, he's a dude who heard gypsy jazz over in Europe and brought it over in his Tele pickin' way. You could hear some Django lines in Jimmy Bryant's playing in my opinion alot.

Mucho mucho Alt picking, some sweeping, and some chicken pickin' is in order for his playing. Not that I am an expert, but it's what I have discovered thus far.

Love my some Bryant~ Original Telemaster~ The Grand Doyen if you will~

3. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

I like Bryant's playing a lot, but to me the later stuff pales in comparison to the materal with Speedy West. They were a great combination, and I love their interplay. The technical side is very impressive and staggering, but I love the humor that comes across. Those guys sounded as though they were having a lot of fun.

As Breen said, a lot of Django there in Bryant's playing. Charlie Christian, too.

4. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Clean, fast playability with jazz, swing, blues, as well as country thrown in for good measure.
    I have everything that he did on record.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. jericho60

I have been slaving over that descending run towards the end of "The Night Rider" and can't get anywhere with it. I can't even tease it apart to position-study level.

6. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Fan here. Stumblin' china boy, night rider, and low man on the totem pole are some of his that I work on, and never master.

7. jericho60

I can get the central riff on Night Rider, but that descending thing has been taunting me for years.

8. dB

dB Tele-Holic

Love that stuff. Not a clue where to begin. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.