1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brushed sparkles on white pearl

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peltogyne, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Feeling quite pleased with at least one of my previous brushed on sparkle jobs I'm starting another. Here's the one that worked.

The goal for this next one is to use only a foam brush and one type of fluid product to do the entire finish. The fluid of choice is General Finishes High Performance Gloss

The body donor is a Guild Pilot, something I've wanted for 30 years, that I just got on ebay cheap. It has had it's old butter colored poly finish removed and it's mahogany body stained with a few dings and a chunk missing. The gold hardware is being replaced with chrome.

[​IMG]

2blue2 and RatherBeFishing like this.
  2. Peltogyne

The first step was to sand down the old finish and then get a smooth level base coat. My last sparkler had a black base coat and this one I wanted to try white. I didn't have any white pigment but I did have some pearl powder so I mixed that up, brushed on a bunch of coats and leveled it and got a nice pearl base coat.

[​IMG]

So instead of doing a sealer, grain fill, primer schedule I just used the one jar of pearly paint and did all that at once. It used about 1/3 of an ounce of pearl and at least a dozen coats.

I'm basically only painting with the General Finishes product and changing the additive. 1st layers get the pearl, 2nd layers get sparkles and then 3rd will be clear coats.

2blue2 likes this.
  3. Peltogyne

Why a brush? I don't really have a good place to spray so I'm doing this indoors. Brushing is not nearly as messy as spraying so this is apartment friendly using the water base products. It also uses a fraction of the paint and sparkles so it's cheap too.

Brushing sparkles gives a different effect than the more common spraying or sprinkling. The flakes lay flatter. This makes it much more reflective when the lights are head on and only slightly less sparkly as the guitar turns away. It's closer to a mirror finish than the usual sprinkled as the angle of light is more important, where as on a sprinkled finish it sparkles pretty consistently no matter the light angle.

Here's a shot of the sparkles going on, it's quite lumpy and looks hideous until it covers more completely. It's tedious to do all the layers but the end result is a small fraction of the thickness of when I tried sprinkling sparkles on.

[​IMG]

4. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

cool man! What are you using for the sparkles? Also, is there more than 1 color layer on the sparkler in the video? It looks like blue and black on top of each other. Great depth in the color. The new one does look "hideous" at the moment, lol. Can't wait to see it transformed!

5. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I sure would love to see a video of that brushing as well as the material... I do not have space to spray either and hand rubbed finishes are only good until somebody wants a uniform color!

6. Peltogyne

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/Custom-Shop-Automotive-Dry-Flakes/

I'm using .004 micro flakes on the bass in the video. Blue and holographic silver on top of a black primer. More info in this thread http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/525686-simple-sparkle-story.html

The current project is more hideous and lumpy than the other one at this stage. I think that's because most of what I'm using is the .008 flake mixed with some smaller .004 and the pure .004 seems to brush better.

On this finish over pearl I'm using .008 smoked chrome and .004 seafoam green and aqua blue. I'm using mostly the larger .008 in the first layers for coverage and then switching to the smaller flakes for color which I'm hoping will nestle into the nooks and crannies of the bigger flakes. I'm shooting for more subtle than a traditional sparkle job but more sparkly than a metalflake on a car. I did some tests using Duplicolor Metalspecks as a base coat and that also worked well.

7. Peltogyne

I'm not sure what you want a video of, I do keep shaking & stirring the jar to keep the flakes from settling. The technique is a bit like buttering toast. I've found brushing also tends to wipe clean the high spots and corners so attention must be given to them to make sure the edges get enough finish.

Spraying is much smoother and preferred for an even color. But I've found if you're brushing something that is not transparent eventually the color becomes consistent.

8. BigBillow

LOL, glad I had swallowed my coffee before reading that. Is it easier to brush the flakes on if they are at room temperature, or can you use them right out of the fridge? :p

Thanks for the link, the flakes are very cool. How much do you use for a single axe?

9. BigBillow

Okay, checked out your other thread. Not a lot of sparkles used. Very cool.

10. BigBillow

Dude, you should totally make large side markers again and fill them with flakes and CA glue...although you may need to wear sunglasses when you play.

11. Peltogyne

I have a block filled with little holes and side dot tests. I couldn't get any sparkles to work well sadly.

12. BigBillow

13. Peltogyne

Interesting stuff this Retro-Reflective Pigment, 180-250 Micron High-Power Glass Bead Reflectors.

I don't think it would work well as side dots as it's directional, and like the reflective tape on road signs, rather dark unless you get the angle right. But mixed in a sparkle finish it could be nice. Sure is a cheap enough experiment.

14. Peltogyne

Here's a few progress shots of the sparkles going down. I've decided the 2" foam brush is much better than the 1" for speed and evenness. There's going to be around 30 coats of sparkles when I get the last few on. That seems insane but being water based and with no spray equipment a coat only takes a few minutes including cleanup of the brush.

This one was lumpier than my previous one which I'm attributing to starting with some .008 flake before switching to just the .004 size and trying a 1" brush for a while. But once you get full coverage the lumpiness disappears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's actually sparkly even though these pictures don't show it.

15. BigBillow

It doesn't look hideous anymore!! :D

You got more color out of them sparkles than I expected, looks nice green. Will be fun to see the color change after you sand her.

BTW, those retro-reflective beads, I got some and I'm not sure they're actually cool. Obviously they are round, so at least a couple coats of flakes would be needed to equal the thickness. Not sure how they'll sand either. They haven't exactly inspired me to experiment with them; they remain in the plastic baggie. :(

16. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Have you used General Finshes Arm-R-Seal? A friend used it on his antique Ford truck's wooden bed and stakes, and swears by it...

17. Peltogyne

Thanks, it's got about 5 clear coats now, I think it will be ok. The real sparkle comes out in the polish.

Bummer about the beads, I have a small jar of glow in the dark powder from a similar experiment.

18. Peltogyne

Never tried it, since it's not water based it would take a good deal more commitment for me to use. There's a recent thread with someone having success with Varathane, there's probably a number of useable choices out there. I'm also under the impression that the acrylic/urethane blend I'm using is a bit clearer than a straight urethane.

19. Peltogyne

Finally finished it. I achieved my goal of just a single fluid for grain fill through clear coats, all done with a brush. This time I bought a foam buffer wheel for my drill to help with the last polishing stage and it worked wonderfully. This poly/acrylic is harder to sand than lacquer and the buffer wheel did a good job of hiding scratches.

You can see the flakes are quite lumpy, oatmeal style. Definitely a different look than the other sparkle methods but this one has no mess or fumes so the trade off is huge for apartment dwellers.

This is micro flake so it's not as "country" as some of the bigger flake jobs more commonly seen. Flake with restraint ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rock-Ola, JAckal66 and Buckocaster51 like this.
  20. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Me Like Sparkly !

It's hard to tell on my phone, would you say it's considerably different from a metallic paint under stage lights?

Is the flake size .04? I'm trying this out this summer!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.