Bruce Sighting

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Oct 7, 2010.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

A friend of my posted on FB that she saw Bruce Springsteen this morning coming out of a gym!!! She chatted with him a bit about the weather, said she was a blubbering wreck, :lol:

I can't imagine he goes to a public gym, I mean his "mansion of glory" MUST have it's own facilities. Maybe he was visiting some buds. In any case, cool!

And as a reminder, TONIGHT is the HBO documentary on Darkness on the Edge of Town!

2. Telebubba

Telebubba Tele-Meister

Wish I had HBO, I'd like to check out that documentary. "Darkness" is probably my second favorite Springsteen recording.

3. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

4. tele-rain

5. tele-rain

I'm sure it'll be released afterward on DVD, isn't that usually how these things work?

I just looked at the price for the Darkness box set...$115. It sounds like a good deal, there's a lot included, but I can't pre-order just yet. I'll have to wait for the sales, or hope Santa picks it up for me.

6. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

I NEED to find a way to get this. I've always loved Bruce, parents had records growing up, and within the last couple of months I've really gotten back into his stuff and Darkness is by far my favorite album. Gonna try to track down one of those vinyl versions if I can, use my record player more than any CD player in my house.

7. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

...it's gonna be a fantastic package no question!

8. tele-rain

9. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

My wife used to work at the Borders in Eatontown, and he used to come in there from time to time to buy books, no entourage, just a guy out shopping for books. He's actually a pretty regular guy, and doesn't seem to like drawing a lot of attention to himself. He hops up on stage at the Pony unannounced once in a while, too.

It's refreshing that there are still pop stars who don't feel like they need to alert the media every time they go out somewhere.

10. tele-rain

Yeah my friend said he was alone too. I've always heard that about him, that he's a "regular guy" and honestly, it does come off that way in interviews. Of course, there is also the driven to success side, but there's a fine line between success and big shot. You don't get where he is by not going after exactly what you want, how you want it, etc. And I think we're gonna see some of that evidence in the doc tonight.

11. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he has his own gym but people need interaction too so you can either just stay in your house all the time and only talk to your staff or go out into the world. Bruce does not seem at all like the "superior" type. A friend of mine worked in a bar where Bruce was drinking alone. He said bruce was super cool and down to earth. He left my friend a $100 tip.

12. tele-rain

Definitely, it could be any reason at all, really. To assume that one "shouldn't" be somewhere is just silly (and I was merely joking when I said it too). I think it's awesome that he's always out and about, and that he doesn't have an entourage. People are respectful, and that's what counts.

Now that I think of it, my brother in law told me of a horse saddle shop in Englishtown that Bruce is known to frequent too on occassion.

Damn, I gotta get outta the house more :p

13. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the original box set, title eludes I think it is 1987-1997 or something like that. On cassette tapes. I don't think I've listened to it since I went to cds some 20 years ago.

I've seen him in concert twice now. Can't say for sure if I would go again. second time was general admission, no seating. 4 hours is too damn long to stand with no breaks. And then he comes out for an encore or 3. I just wanna go home. :eek::D

14. Telefinken

Telefinken Tele-Meister

He's apparently a real down to earth guy. It's good to see. [​IMG]

15. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

16. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

Bruce is the man. Enough said.

17. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Yep.

18. tele-rain

well that was cool!

I completely dorked out and put my vintage strap on my Tele again:

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-0689-000-Standard-Vintage-Strap/dp/B0002KZDKA

I'm always changing my straps, because the one that feels most comfy is the thick Levy's, but it's too wide and when I sit, it falls down. However, I don'practice/ play nearly long enough for ANY strap to be a legit consideration, so I put this one back on cuz I love it :p

Back to Bruce, that was really cool. I loved how they were describing the sound of the album visually, because I kept thinking about the lonely aspect of it during some songs where Bruce just sings with the lone snare drum. Of course their descriptions were so much more colorful.

I hope to catch the rerun when it's on again.

19. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Very cool … and I especially loved it when I saw the MXR Distortions +

20. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

I think Bruce has always been really sensitive to the way that fame can corrupt--with Elvis as the ultimate example. (There's a funny story about him and Steve trying to scale the wall at Graceland.)

There seems to be two ways to approach fame: You can try to keep your fans away (and you away from them.)
    Or you can just wait for someone to say "hi" and you say "hi" back and that's that.
    Bruce, from the dozens of stories I've heard, has taken the second route, carpooling with neighbors kids, shopping at the local deli, having a drink at the local bar, and yes, walking into a guitar store and playing a few things.
    There's a story in the Star-Ledger last week about this couple taking their wedding pictures on the beach, and Bruce is just kinda hanging out, and he poses for a couple and even takes the guy's guitar and plays a song.
    Generally people sense that vibe and are largely respectful of his privacy.

There's another funny story about Bruce having a night off during The River tour and he goes out to see Woody Allen's Stardust Memories. This young guy and his sister meet him at the popcorn stand and ask him if he wants to sit with them.
    "Sure, why not?"
    They watch the movie, which is all about Woody slamming on his fans.
    The guy asks Bruce if he feels that way. "Not so much" he laughs.
    So the guy asks if he'd like to come over and have some food.
    "Why not?"
    So they bring Bruce Springsteen home, and the guy's mother thinks it's a prank until they guy goes into his bedroom and grabs the Darkness album cover and holds it up next to Bruce.
    So Bruce sits around, eats chicken, watches TV and generally hangs around with this guy, just because.
    Somehow, I can't see MicK Jagger doing that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.