1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bruce Cockburn's Soul of a Man

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Jul 21, 2010.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I've always thought this was a great song and I like Bruce's interpretation...

2. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

I like this song too. I've never tried to figure it out though. Anyone know how it's played? Is it open tuning?

3. garymaddox

I did some searching and according to a 1994 Acoustic Guitar issue, Soul of a Man is played in open 'C' (CGCGCE).

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info Garymaddox. Is that the tuning that Blind Willie Johnson does it in too?

5. garymaddox

I don't know about BWJ's tuning. I did spend some time with his stuff when I was really into country blues. I'll give it a listen and see if I can tell. I plan on trying the C tuning this morning.

6. garymaddox

I tried the C tuning. The strings are like rubber bands. It does make a huge difference in playing the song. I have not had time to figure out much of it, but once you are in this tuning, most of it is happening at the 3rd and 5th fret. At the part where the vocal starts, just bar the first 3 strings at the 3rd fret and play the others open, then all strings open. That's most of the song other than the flourishes and the high part. I don't have that yet.

7. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

The album that tune's on is simply one of my all time favourites (Nothing But A Burning Light)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.