Brubeck and Beauty

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Very nice. It've always noted how a pianist wrote so many songs that were vehicles for other instruments to stretch out in the verses and solos. We'll not see the likes of Dave and his various bands again.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Nice tune- like a lot of their music, I suspect it's at least as much a Paul Desmond song as a Brubeck song; Desmond certainly dominates the recording.
Yes Paul wrote that because he was in love with Audrey...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Aye. Him- and another hundred million men, on all continents.

Including Antarctica. :)

(Women liked her, too. They still try to copy 'the look', today.)
Well yeah my wife loves Audrey and we have Breakfast at Tiffany's as one of our falling in love moments.

But did you read the NYT piece?
Brubeck set break time for Desmond to run over and see Audrey leave the theater every night, but Paul never said hello.
Paul wrote that song for her, died never having knowingly communicated with her, then when Audrey died, her husband called Brubeck asking him to play Desomds tune at Audreys memorial.
Dave never knew she knew the tune but she had played it every night on her record player.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Wow. That has the sads about it.
Shedding tears here, the story always guts me.
Doubly teary material this morning; my wife told me I am her favorite musician while telling me her recent second favorite is Django. I really had no idea.
Doubly gutted!

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Shedding tears here, the story always guts me.
The New Yorker page you linked to. Brilliance in 10 panes. 10 panes to convey the story. 10 panes and my eyes got a little moist.
I love the music Paul created, I love Audrey. 'Roman Holiday' & 'Breakfast...' rank high in my favourite films. Now, when I watch the films, or hear the song, I'll have another take on it.