Brown's Canyon? Old Growth Redwood? Tele-bration? Why the silence?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by loudfast, Apr 27, 2011.

1. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

I'm not Boris, but I'll give it a go....

The redwood I've seen so far in these instruments is not something that would be even sellable by a tonewoods supplier, with it's uneven and wide (for old-growth) graining, and the discolorations....

But...

It's story and age give it a cool vibe, and I applaud Fender for using it....

I'd like to see Fender go with something like this:

[​IMG]

2. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Now THAT is damn funny. I was actually thinking the same thing, but I'm not so sure I can picture Neil playing a Tele....at least I can't recall it.

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

That's a surprising comment. My old growth has a super tight grain, much like that of a Spruce top....unless you consider that to be wide???

I have a friend who plays a beautiful Taylor Acoustic with a Redwood top and the grain is extremely similar.

Every day I play this guitar I am more impressed at the Tones that come out of it. I have two other Tele's...one ash and one mahogany and although I love them both, they have nowhere near the tonal range as the redwood....truly. But of course that's my opinion which is totally subjective....whatever floats your boat I say....

4. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Here's one that is kinda representative of what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

And it's probably the grain orientation--and not the GPI count of the grain itself--that is giving the illusion of wide graining...

Yep:

[​IMG]

5. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

Redwood is brittle
    Redwood is prone to cracking
    Redwood is soft
    Redwood dust is toxic to some people

With a fellow by the name of Craig Carter (RIP) who was responsible for the "LUCKY" redwood on the 70's and 80's... we harvested, resawed and sanded about a 1000 redwood tops that were eventually sent to Spain some the 3 famous USA guitar producers.

As a competitior to cedar.. cedar is cheaper and more plentiful. Cedar for tops was
    introduced by Ramirez in the late 60's and early 70's.. why.. cheap and available..
    When redwood was cheap and available it was viable.. now it is more scarce and hyped and more expensive so not commonly used.
    As with other natural resources.. when the availability goes down the price and desirability go up.

100's of thousands of picnic tables and benches and decks and garden bed frames and water bed frames were made from redwood.

The phrase "wanna buy a bridge" comes to mind when I think of the Brown Canyon wood.

As to Doug Fir.. becoming more scarce especially the old good stuff.. but l,uckily I am in the heart of it...a mill down the road is knwn for the old growth straight grain stuff, the majority going to Japan for Shoji frames and traditional housing and furniture.

Doug fir is much harder than redwood. Splinters are a bear...
    often used for flooring in the early 1900's.. lasts forever.

Still the wood of choice for house framing.. at least locally... the good stuff is culled out.. and scooped up by folks like me...
    I have a stash.

I have about 300 Doug Firs, 300 pine , 300 oak, 100 madrone, a few ash and alder and one redwood on my property .

6. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

I remember Craig....
    That was some dandy redwood....

7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I can totally see what you're referring to, not to mention the orientation of that grain angle, which adds to the illusion of wider grain.

Here's a couple shots of mine. As you can see the orientation is more 90 degree'd with the front and back thus giving a tighter impression. Almost looks like a cedar top

Attached Files:

8. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

What species and what kind of wood are pines in your property? You probably know the discussion year or two ago of CV50 Tele, many people doomed it as being s@@@t because of pine body. I tried to explain in vain, that species of harder pine woods exist, as here in Sweden, we think our pine is quality wood for many purposes.
    If you look at Fender.com, there is many as expensive Telecasters others than Brown`s Canyon & Old Growth made of pine, even Strats.
    Leo made his prototypes of pine.
    I often wonder why oak is not used in guitar building? It`s hard and has pretty grain. Ours is.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've never personally seen him perform with a Tele but I recall images posted here at TDPRI of Neil playing I think a Broadcaster live in the very early 1970s.

Now, Steve Stills played Teles and Esquires more. Although the last 2 times I saw Steve he was playing mostly Stratocasters (including on June 2 at the Fox Auditorium in Oakland CA (The Buffalo Springfield).

10. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Order page at Thomann looks a little strange, but my redwood guitar is paid, mailed and coming in tuesday-wednesday next week.:neutral:

The header says Old Growth Redwood Telecaster, but description below writes Brown`s Canyon, Northern California Railroad Trestle Bridge and other doubtful text of a guitar i now firmly believe will be the one the header has already said.

FENDER OLD GROWTH REDWOOD TELECASTER
    ArtNr.: 259073
    Fender Brown´s Canyon Telecaster NAT, e-guitar, Tele-Bration, special run, redwood body thomann from an 1890´s northern california trestle railway bridge, 52´ Hot Rod maple neck, maple fretboard, 21 Med Jumbo frets, 62´ Vintage pickup set, custom neckplate, vintage tuners, finish: natural, incl. case, comes with certificate and picture from the bridge.:lol::lol::lol:

There will be a NGD thread from me in due, not too long time! See you around!:cool:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  11. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Curious....which bridge plate did you go with? I'm thinking of doing the same and was toying with the double cut for access. I was also looking at the Barden

12. johnnytronics

johnnytronics Tele-Holic

13. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Johnny, I may have to go with one of them. Any recommendations on chrome or nickel plating?

As far as the saddles, which would be the best for a fairly accurate intonation? I'm also wondering about brass or aluminium....this guitar is definitely warmer toned than an ash body (which is actually why I like it), thus I don't really want to either brighten it or mellow it....any thoughts there??? Would the brass mellow it even more than the existing standard saddles???

14. johnnytronics

johnnytronics Tele-Holic

@Jethro
    I should warn you that on the conversion brigde the saddle screws are freaky long, due to string through placement of the bridge. It's six in one, half dozen in the other, as I view the American Standard bridge to be unsightly also. As far as tone, I got brass saddles that do mellow the tone a bit, but also give it more depth, if that makes any sense. I may try one of the other saddle material combos in the future.

15. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker NEW MEMBER!

another old growth

I'm new to this forum, only joined because I just bought my first telecaster.
    (we're a Gibson family.........)
    any way here she is, its a classy looking one, not really any nail holes except one on the top side near the neck. Nice tight grain, pretty smooth, plays nice.
    Can't help but think that any one with an actual Browns Canyon will have a collectors item in 30 years time. I don't have a name for her yet, my other guitars have pole dancers monikers, Dallas (66 cherry red ES335) Montana (hummingbird) and Arizona (59 sunburst ES335 reissue). I don'[t want to call her Corona. Any suggestions ?

Attached Files:

16. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the group....very nice indeed.

As far as names how 'bout "Red" :lol:

17. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Any interest?

What do you think, shall we form a Redwood Tele Club?

Attached Files:

18. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Great idea....I just started an Old Growth thread in the Guitar owners forum

19. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Yo, jtronics, guess youmissed my post a few days back^^^^

20. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations to all the Redwood tele owners. You now own what looks to be a very beautiful guitar.

I had the chance to handle one yesterday, at a local dealers. This was an extremely pretty example of the guitar. It had the latest 'non Brown's Canyon' neckplate. It sounded and felt really sweet, with what at first glance appeared to be a one piece top. Definitely a perfectly matched top on an otherwise well set up guitar. :D

However, having just ploughed through this thread, I'm left wondering what on earth is going on at Fender? :confused:

I had seriously considered the purchase of the 'Browns Canyon' or even the 'replacement' job, but now have absolutely no regrets in deciding to go for the gorgeous Ron Kirn Loblolly Pine Barnbuster that I recently bought - to add to the well loved Fender American teles that I already have.

BTW this Barnbuster thing is oh so very old, and came from an even older barn that was demolished somewhere just outside ..... hmmmm ..... well I think it did ...... OMG, RON!!!! :oops:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.