Brownface Cleans on a budget

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Ive been wanting a brownface amp for a while now. I have the Blackface and tweed covered and having something that sits in between the two is very appealing to me. Any amps/preamps/pedals etc. out there that do this on a budget. I'm primarily interested in clean to edge of breakup tones . Thanks

2. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Falcon, by Crazy Tube Circuits $189.00 on Reverb. Budget? Depending on what your is. Youtube video as well.

Skydog1010 and High Head Brad like this.
  3. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

+1 of the Falcon. I got one a month ago, its great. Unlike some other pedals I've tried, this one sounds like the demos. I play through a pedal steel rig (very clean) and I think the breakup tones sound great, dare I say tube-like

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I see no Falcon named amp on Reverb less than $1800. ??

rjtwangs likes this.
  5. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

6. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

It's a pedal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

there's also this

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I've tried a few of the Lovepedals, put 'em up for sale the day I got them. The guy who bought one of them loves it, so YMMV. Thankful for those half-off sales!

10. Whoa Tele

I've read some good things about the Crazy Tubes Falcon. I may try one out and see how clean it will stay with my blackface amps. The Lil Dawg Chocoprince would be ideal for me but might not be in the budget right now.

11. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

12. Whoa Tele

13. Whoa Tele

I'd love to see a demo where someone runs one of these pedals into a blackface and then plays a brownface in a direct comparison.

14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

When you say budget.... Ballpark?

Also, how loud do you need/want to be?

I will say that if you can snag a '63 Vibroverb Reissue, you get lots of beautiful brown cleans. You can play in a band with enough headroom most of the time (if you don't play with Keith Moon, anyway). If you are just playing at home, look for an Ampeg J-20 (one of the newer made in the Pac Rim jobbies), it's a copy of the 6g3 circuit. But, prices on both of these are climbing.... I've wanted a J-20 to go along with my VVRi for years now.

If you can find the replacement for the '63 VVRi, the Custom Vibrolux Reverb. It's a the VVRi, with different negative feedback (making it dirtier, and noisier). Mod it to the 63 VVRi specs, and there's that headroom right back. Or, like so many over the years, use it just like it came and be happy.

I'm sure there are a ton of other options... Those are the low hanging fruit (to me).

jondanger and scelestus like this.
  15. sshan25

sshan25 Tele-Meister

Ampeg J-20 Jet (almost a 6g3). I bought mine two years ago for about $450. Great amp stock. Even better with a few mods. If you want to spend a bit more, have Jim at Lil Dawg build you one. I have a Choco Prince. A++.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  16. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Which one? They all kind of sound different. I own a 6G2, 6G3, 6G6-A, 6G9-A and 6G12. I have also owned a 6G7 3x10 combo and 6G5 Pro. The higher powered ones with 2 or 3 tube "harmonic vibrato" sound and behave differently than the lower powered models. The Bassman(6G6) sounds very different than all of the others from the line. Even the Deluxe and Princeton are pretty different(I prefer the 6G3 Deluxe to a Princeton any day, but around here everyone loves the 6G2 more). My personal favorite is the 6G9-A Tremolux, but what brownface(6G) amp sound are you after?

Of the amps I own, the closest would be a 61 Magnatone 413(labelled DaVinci) or an early 60's Ampeg R12R (Reverberocket) with 6V6 power tubes. Leo was definitely referencing the Magnatone amps when designing the later tweed and early 6G amps. They aren't really cheap, but there are deals if you look hard(found mine for 600 when Phil X was making the 213/413 amps into a YouTube rage). This DaVinci has similar Schumacher transformers that Fender used with a 6G3(Magna was using them well before Leo switched over). I actually play the DaVinci more than either my 6G2 or 6G3. It just sounds excellent whether set for clean or gritty sounds. It has vibrato to die for.

The Ampeg R12R is still a sleeper amp on the vintage market, so they can still be found for cheap. The earlier Ampeg M12 is also great value. The M12 is often compared to the 6G2 and 6G3 amps. The Ampegs of the late 50's and early 60's have more midrange content than similar era Fender amps-they don't have the Fender shimmer. Though they get a great sumptuous clean sound that goes into a burly overdrive when pushed. I have never played a more recent Ampeg J20, but the hype is that it's a ripoff of a 6G3, so that might be your ticket.

It sounds like a pedal. Not a bad sounding overdrive pedal, but it doesn't seem to exhibit the touch of these amps. Seems dynamically flat. The couple of demos I saw also didn't show much evidence of the gorgeous clean sounds the 6G amps are capable of.

17. Whoa Tele

Right now the 6g2 is what I'm leaning towards. If I go new I'd love to have the 25 watt Lil Dawg Chocoprince. It has a 12 inch speaker and I think it will give me some extra clean headroom without sacrificing the brownface tone. I tried the Stapleton Princeton and liked it but wanted a little more clean volume at a lower price. The Chocoprince is around $1200 and I own 2 of Jims amps so I know what I'm getting. Having said that, saving a few bucks is always nice and my experience with Brown fenders is very limited so the less I spend the easier it will be if I end up not liking it as much as I think I will.

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Fender Excelsior. Similar to the 6G2, and gives big, rich cleans in the Pro version w/ the mighty Eminence 1518.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My extra cheap solution is a Hotone Mojo Diamond head hooked up to a Mooer Radar with a Celestion Vintage 30 IR. It came it at under $300 ($100, $115 and $29, respectively)

20. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

@Obelisk, you mention a couple of brands of amps that i already have, just not those models. I have a '66 Magnatone M10 and a '66 Ampeg J-12 Jet. Like @Whoa Tele , I'm interested in something like a 6G2. Do either of these come close? I also have an Excelsior and as @RoscoeElegante says above, I suspect it's the most similar to a 6G2 of these 3 amps.
    This is just gas for me, I don't think I've ever heard a 6G2 live, just in videos. I want something different than what i already have. If the Excelsior is pretty close to the 6G2, then I might look for a 5E3.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.