1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brown Princeton 6G2: tone control action

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EsquireBoy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I have the Chris Stapleton signature that I got in a trade a year ago.
    It’s got a really nice tone but it tends to be a bit muddy in a particular mid frequency range.

Usually I tend to play it with the tone knob at around 7 (13-14 o’clock) and each time I up the knob I find it adds treble but does not cure that midrange mud. In fact it becomes even muddier to my ears.

But today I counterintuitively turned down the tone knob quite low at 4 (10 o’clock): surely it warms up the tone in the higher frequencies, but it also seems to open up the midrange.
    Don’t know what it does, but it sounds to me like it scoops the mids a bit, or at least swifts the emphasis on different mid frequencies.

I can’t really describe it accurately, but it’s as if the tone became less crowded and clearer.

Is it just my imagination or does it make sense to you who know how this single tone control works on that circuit?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never been around the Stapleton Princeton. The original 6G2 amps that I have owned did not exhibit such a tendency.
    They are hot amps, ime. They react well to guitar output control when one has the amp turned up above halfway, which is where I like to run them. I also liked the tone control above halfway. I like the 6G32 a lot
    If I had one, the first thing I would do after hearing it would be to pull the chassis and see what they did there. If the tone exhibited this ‘mud’ that you describe, I would be especially interested to see what if any changes they made to the circuit and in particular that simple tone circuit. I would also be curious about the speaker. It is a ‘special design’ Eminence. One might wonder if it is perhaps pointed at a midrange thing rather than the type of speaker that would have come stock in the amp back in the day. There is a trend among some parts toward midrangey speakers that I do not follow. Have you run the amp through a different speaker arrangement to hear what might go on with a change of speakers?
    If you get good results by turning the tone control down, I say go that way.

King Fan and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Thanks @Wally
    At home I usually run the amp halfway up and control the volume at the guitar. With the pandemic kicking right after I got it, I haven't got the opportunity to play it really loud yet, but I'm sure the speaker has had the chance to break up.
    That's a good guess about the special design speaker. Unfortunately I haven't got any 8ohm spare to try out, just the 4ohm on my 5F2 clone (which is a far more brighter amp in comparison by the way).
    AFAIK Fender did not really change much about the 6G2 circuit for this Stapleton signature, apart from the 12" speaker.

4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, what Wally said. I haven't looked but there must be a writeup somewhere about any changes the Stapleton version made to the original specs. I was under the simple-minded assumption it was a straight clone.

If the tone stack etc. *are* the same, I'd double down on Wally's question about the speaker. My straight 6G2 clone has been very sensitive to speaker choice -- the tone control itself is pretty simple and linear.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IFAIK none of Fender's descriptons and none of the 3rd party reviews mention any changes other than the speaker, which is a mystery Eminence. If the speaker is a special, made for Fender, Eminence won't provide any technical details about it because it's proprietary.

EsquireBoy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.