1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brotherhood Build 2021 edition

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazydave911, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

After my first one or two or three builds I would still reach for my fenders more than my builds. I've gotten better and now I can bust out a much better guitar and my Fender collection is dwindling. So no more buying for me!

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  2. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Tell her because you earned it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Hopefully my first build is a good one. My squier strat is better than most Fenders that I have heard.

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

This was actually the first year I bought a guitar, two in fact. One I never desired to build and one I didn't think I could

received_1132999530459958.jpeg

One I've always wanted, didn't think I could though I tried long ago

And the other

received_1588655524657511.jpeg

And the one I never cared to build. I'd often eagerly tried them, some really nice Fenders, but they all left me cold. I'd bonk them on the back and..... . Nothing, no body resonance AT all. I wouldn't have bought them if solid body, every piece of wood should ring SOMETHING, not just like dead MDF.
    Now this one? Was reviewed by a that surprised me, Trogelys Guitar Show. Usually the highest of high end. This a Glarry, go ahead and laugh but he was surprised at the pickups (so am I) and made a comment about the light basswood body. About that time he accidentally bumped it on his table and it rang for days lol. I perked up, sure it will need full sized pots at some point but at a little over 5.5 pounds and a full C neck I already Tru-oiled, I'm a happy camper :)

Dave

Moodivarius likes this.
  5. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Afflicted

I am in and I think I may actually build a tele on the tele forum. Wow

old wrench, erix and crazydave911 like this.
  6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Stick around here and ask questions and it will be! My first build was good, but it still left some to be desired. Part of that was the tools I had at the time VS the tools I have now. I'd say the largest and most important difference for me was when I invested in tools to slot and shape my own nut. That just takes any guitar to the next level when you can drop the strings just where you want them.

crazydave911, GeminiCG and photondev like this.
  7. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

The more you build, the better you get, if you desire to learn from your mistakes or the advice from the really generous people in this forum. Also there is so much material on line or great books.

I love being able to attempt a guitar that I thought was impossible for my skills, but you get into it and you manage to produce something you are really proud of.

8. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, my Acoustic-Tele build started with the neck last May, & the body is almost finished.

So, I might have to start another one. :lol::lol:

I’ve made a mahogany body blank glued up, & a piece for the neck blank of a LP style. Might have to start it, after the Second Acoustic-Tele is done. :D

Scott

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  9. crazydave911

Say it isn't so :eek::eek::eek:

:lol::lol::D

Mbechmann and 1bad914 like this.
  10. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wow indeed! Come over this weekend and poke around the woodpile!

crazydave911 and 1bad914 like this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Count me in.

I already have a project in an early stage, but it stalled due to other commitments.

This sort of motivation thread is like having a pal to work out with at the gym: "You're not done yet! You owe me five more reps, Peegoo!"

old wrench and crazydave911 like this.
  12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking it might be time for the "Springsteen"esk squire Tele build. I've only had the block of swamp thing for about 7 years, it might be acclimated to my shop by now! I think I'm in too. And wow, yes a Tele!

crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I'm in for at least two, I'm thinking. I have materials for 3, possibly 4, but don't want to overdo it :). I impulse bought a burl maple slab yesterday, too. I may need help, but not until I'm done with a few more ;)

Mbechmann, crazydave911 and DrASATele like this.
  14. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

@crazydave911, how many people have actually started the 2021 BB? I see Mojotron's build but haven't seen any others yet. Is he the only one who has officially started?

I wish the mods would start a subforum for Brotherhood builds, that would be convenient for viewing the various builds all in one place.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

It doesn't start until tomorrow. Take a look at the first post with the info. Mojotron's are from last year. The sub forum issue has already been answered and it's a no.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I didn't go back and re-read the OP so, when I saw Mojotron's 2021 thread, I thought it had started especially since I couldn't see any of his pics. Also, a guy can still wish and ask again even when the first answer is no.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mojo's titles say 2020 on them so I don't think he has started yet. It would be nice to have a sub forum but it ain't happening.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

I don't really know the issue involved but if John says no I respect that. For an evil minute last year I considered moving it to the Partscaster Forum since most of them seem to be here hunting necks :lol::lol::lol::lol:

photondev likes this.
  19. crazydave911

Or ask her how many shoes she needs lol

All you Esquire guys are getting my dander up. In 30 years I've built two. A 24" scale with Lil Puncher pickup and one with a 14k humbucker with coil split, a fave of mine. But point being, always a trick, non Fender. But I've always wanted a Surf Green Esquire, preferably Elderd mod. Again not Fender but close enough :D

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    DrASATele likes this.
  20. crazydave911

Annnnd they're off! Come on guys, we're burning daylight! :lol:

ale.istotle and dazzaman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.