1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brotherhood Build 2021 edition

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazydave911, Mar 1, 2021.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not sure that I've recovered from building the Z last year but I'll enjoy watching all these projects as they progress.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Great! I'll be in. Just happened to stop by the wood store this morning and came back with something interesting... :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

As long as nobody sees a brand or stamp suits me

telemnemonics and 2groggy like this.
  4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Well... I haven't finished last year's build yet! So I doubt I'll do this one. Lots of excuses on why it isn't finished yet, and it is on my list of things to do, and it's SO close... but no.

So why am I even posting? To buzz kill the thread? Offer up reasons not to?

Hell no! Anyone who's thought about it should give it a shot!

I'm posting because even though I failed to finish lasts year's build and realized I have other projects I need to attend to before I build yet another guitar... I saw this thread and started thinking about what I could build this year!

I'm posting this saying I'm not gonna do it just so I don't go ahead and do it anyway!

Then again... when I was cleaning up the basement I found parts I didn't even know I had, and they really should get used, and I do plan on retiring during the timeframe so I'd have more time... hmm...

Nope. Not gonna do it.

Uh uh.

Unless....

NO!

Probably not anyway. Not even something silly like an 8 string uke. I mean it sounds fun, but no. NO!

crazydave911 and 2groggy like this.
  5. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

Does it count if I found lumber in my garage that I already started gluing? EB4B09A9-F2F9-4D1C-8805-995039E4058D.jpeg

Steve Holt and crazydave911 like this.
  6. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Petition to have your handle changed to "CrazyglueDave911" because you hold this place together my friend.

I'm not currently setup to build at the mo, but will watch with interest and try to offer advice (for what it's worth) if asked and encouragement when I can.

You rock, Dave.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    RobRiggs, Mbechmann, Mojotron and 6 others like this.
  7. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Well, the events of last year at around this time made it really easy for me to enter, and complete it fairly early on. But the same events are making it harder this year, at least at the start. But we have time to start, so I will be positive and commit to being in, just not it the first wave. Maybe I will start mine on September 10...

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. crazydave911

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    It's just lumber, why not? :)
    :confused::oops:o_O I THINK maybe Marty deserves that title more than anyone but nevertheless I'm honored :)

:lol: I think you may be the perfect straight man, but it's tough beating Stan lol

:lol:

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I looks forward to participating again, although it will likely be later in the cycle due to our purchase of a property to "downsize" to. The rules/requirements make sense to me!

For those who have concerns about building the neck, consider that one of the great benefits of how this BroBuild thing is organized is to encourage skill building, not just pretty things. It's an opportunity...

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  10. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I tripped over 4 pcs of mahogany yesterday 2 1/8" x 13 3/4" x 23"

Oh what to do
    what to do :rolleyes:

crazydave911, tewiq and telemnemonics like this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_0101.jpg

12. crazydave911

Moodivarius likes this.
  13. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I think the beauty of the Brotherhood Build is the fact that it's not a competition :).

I think most everyone who wants to build a guitar wants to build a pretty one, especially the first one, and the second, and third, . . . ;)

Although I'm sure we'll see some real beauties, a flawless finish is not a requirement. So don't let that trip anyone up.

Finishing seems to be the hardest guitar building skill of all to develop. That's just my amateur opinion, but I think I could get plenty of backup on that from real professional guitar builders.

The objective is to build a playable guitar, and that's very doable. The entire Brotherhood is here to help everyone do just that.

Semantics. The 2021 Brotherhood Build. "Brotherhood" is not a patriarchal reference; it simply means the same thing as kindred, and that means everyone who wants to build a guitar is welcome :).

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

@crazydave911,

I think I've been a member here at TDPRI for long enough to witness 4 or 5 of the build challenges. I was never sorely tempted to enter one, despite my interest in building guitars. The brotherhood build is very tempting, however. I'm swamped at work and have tons of stress in that arena, but I'm thinking I may jump in on this one also. You sir should be given a TDPRI ambassadorship. ;) That would likely entail responsibility without authority, so I don't wish that on you, but never the less......

old wrench, Mojotron and crazydave911 like this.
  15. crazydave911

Amen!

Come on in, the water's fine :D

Mbechmann and old wrench like this.
  16. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

I think I will be able to join this year. The biggest variables right now are budget (college student) and access to tools (I am going back home for the summer). I've fallen in love with the 1953 Telecaster and I am thinking of building one for myself with my future company name on it and everything. This would be a good way to practice.

17. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Not sure I'm in or not! I'm about to have my first baby in a few days and I'm days away from finishing a jag build! I might have some feelers at building a bass for a friend... But time will tell!

18. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

What do I tell the wife when she asks why we need another guitar?

Steve Holt likes this.
  19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

What does "need" have to do with it. When my wife asks me why I need another guitar, I tell her that is not the relevant question. The real question is why do I want one.

Let me know how that goes over for you, and we can compare notes........;)

Ha, seriously, my wife is pretty understanding when I build them, not so much if I want to buy one from a shop, which I actually never do.

Steve Holt and crazydave911 like this.
  20. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Why buy them when you can build them :lol:

crazydave911 and Steve Holt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.