1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brotherhood Build 2021 edition

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crazydave911, Mar 1, 2021.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Well folks, here we are again :D. Time to clear the decks and concentrate :lol:.
    Again this is not a contest or the C word :eek:. Those guys and girls participating are simply people of a like doing something they love in spirit of comraderie. To review the simple rules

1. Basic timetable, March 5th to Sept 11

2. In that timeframe you have 90 days to complete a build from date of start, even Sept 11

3. Build whatever you want within reason lol, as long as it plays a tune with you playing it

4. Requested but not required completion video with your smiling face :)

5. If you get torqued up and ambitious, start and finish early? If you wanna build another have at it ;)

6. Any trolling on another's thread will get you booted forthwith

7. Last but not least, if your creation has a neck, for God's sake build it yourself. If you need help, I'll be there as will others

Acoustic, electric, both, whatever, have fun :D

Dave

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To clarify on point #7, the body I am about to build (for an existing bass neck) would not qualify, correct?

Not sure I want to show off my first attempt at building a musical instrument anyway... o_O:lol:

photondev and crazydave911 like this.
  3. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

I will certainly join again this year!

wadeeinkauf and old wrench like this.
  4. crazydave911

If you in fact built the neck I'd have no problem with it, it's easier than people think. Back during the Challenges in 2011 I petitioned for building your own neck and helped all beginners I could do so. The reaction was surprisingly positive, from people convinced they couldn't finding they could, and actually liked them. They gave themselves the gift of confidence and you could too ;)

Dave

lilqueenie and telemnemonics like this.
  5. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Well, there it is :)

The Brotherhood Build is -

Folks who share a common interest doing something they enjoy doing in a spirit of camaraderie.

Pretty simple, as are the "rules" -

There is a timeframe and common courtesy is required.

Thanks for laying out the guidelines Dave :)

Count me in.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Good on ya Dave! I have a Strat to build that I'm donating to my daughter's high school. It'll be raffled off to support the band program. I also have a P bass build for a buddy. Up here in the Great White North I won't be able to start for at least a month. Maybe I'll hop in with both builds.

7. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

THANKS DAVE!!!

While I'm working through my resolution for 2021 of finishing all of my open build threads.... (some or which are 6 years old) as well as my 2 2020 Brotherhood builds, I got some great ideas for what I'll do for this one and I'm in!! Why, well I have a shop now, for the first time in 5 years and doing projects no longer involves moving cars and trying to find tools :)

This build will be my priority. For the most part, I'm going to create a design around P90s and making a neck with a scarf joint, but using my trusty Bill S. neck shaping jig. Very likely, the body shape will be a combo of things to make a very playable guitar - most likely ripping off ideas from Guitarbuilder's amazing LeS-G thread: The LeS-G | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)- But, more of the Gibson L6-s shape with a super thin body and a 25" or 25.5" scale neck.

8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I've got a PRS hollow body and a guitar version of my Dipole electric mandolin both about to start. I'm not sure I'll met the timeframe, but for sure they are going to be in the spirit of brotherhood. And epic. They will be epic. I've built enough mediocre guitars in my time :)

9. photondev

photondev Tele-Afflicted

Count me in. I am having a love affair with P90s, it will include at least one for sure. I have not decided yet on the rest, but I am considering several options.

I will finish my current build in parallel.

crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  10. old wrench

My 2021 BrotherHood Build will definitely have a Telecaster bridge pickup :).

And I believe it will be relatively light-weight.

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
  11. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

YAY DAVE!

I'm in for at least one: Son #1 wants to learn guitar and he's picked out a '59 custom for inspiration so we'll have a go at that as a team. I also have a pile of parts and some 150+ year old white pine that is destined for a solo build - depending on how the father-and-son team works out!

1bad914, crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

So say my two brotherhood builds from last year have not progressed from where I left them still be eligible? LOL

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. old wrench

Well, I guess I have four more days to procrastinate (I mean plan ;)) before starting on the latest :).

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

hmmm...I need another incomplete guitar.....:)....

Mbechmann, kwerk, photondev and 5 others like this.
  15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Whaaat?? No trolling??!!

Oh . . . okay then.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I didn't build the neck. A buddy of mine ordered a bass version of a tele with a reverse headstock out of China (he had a Fender logo put on the neck, for shame). Neck is alright, but the body is too light/too small and electronics are crap. So, I offered to build a new body for it for my first build experience.

I will come up with another project for the brotherhood build that involves a neck. :)

17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Damn, another reason to build the lap steel. I guess it counts, its all neck.

18. crazydave911

Guys, I'm speechless. The response is overwhelming. Even Marty and Freeman? Wow, welcome one and all, the water's fine :D
    And you don't know what YOU'RE gonna do? I'm days away from finishing mine from LAST year lol. And have almost no idea for this year BUT maybe :twisted:
    And Freeman, even a Greek lyre would count :lol:

Carry on my friends :D

Dave

Mbechmann and kwerk like this.
  19. crazydave911

That is SO good to hear, and don't forget Guitarbuilders "Let's Make a Neck " series, very good I highly recommend

Dave

DrASATele likes this.
  20. 2groggy

2groggy Tele-Meister

Hmmmm, my winter build over in the Bass Place is done early, complete with case... And I do want to experiment with vacuum bagging archtop panels...

Can I reclaim and shave down a neck that I made for a previous previous winter build rather than build from scratch?

telemnemonics and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.