Broken String Question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Badabing, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

When you guys break a string do you:

1) change all the strings

2) only change the string that you broke

Thanks for your input!!!

2. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Well.....if it´s in the middle of a show I change that string only and then replace the rest, if not, I change them all, I don´t usually break strings

3. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i change all, but only because my strings last a long time and if i break one, it's time to change them all.

back in the day when i used a lighter gauge and broke one every show I would sometimes replace the broken one, but even then i would frequently do a full change every couple of weeks.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the '80s I used to get individual high E strings from a local store; I remember carrying about a dozen around at all times and popping them on whenever I broke that particular string. Lately though I just restring the whole guitar. Now that I've traded most of my Gibson guitars for Fenders I seem to break less too.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't broken a string in years... I change them every couple of months at the latest, just because they've gotten dull by that time.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I change every four or five gigs. I've only broken one string on my telecaster and that's because I'd been playing claw hammer style and split my nail and blood rusted it.

I was given another telecaster on that gig and changed them all when I was home.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

hen younger and playing professionally- two sets a week.
    I now change them when they start to sound dull- every 2-3 months.
    Also one string at a time- I just don't like the idea of taking ALL the tension off too quickly.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I do that too; it just makes life easier, especially on a Strat.

9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

If I break a string, which is rare, it is usually at at the tuner post. If the strings are in reasonable condition, I knot an extension to it. Good for the authentic blues tone. :)

If it does need changing, I do the whole set, one string at a time.

10. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

(3) Learn to wrap your strings so they don't break, and learn to hear and feel the difference in them as they start to age. Then change them when they should be changed to keep playing and sounding good, rather than wearing them out so totally that they break.

Since 2010 I have broken precisely one string. It got caught on a stand when the guitar slipped. I have eight work instruments. I change strings on one or another at least once a week. None get a chance to wear out. And I use all .008 and .009s.

11. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I keep a few individual E strings at hand. When I do wiring work on my strats I often unscrew the neck with strings on, and E string will be likely to break during tuning, or the next Time...

12. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

When I was younger I broke a few strings occasionally and on those occasions, I changed only the offending string (costs, you know!). These days it's not a problem but if I broke a string on a gig, I'd just replace the broken string.
    When the strings are dull, I change them all at once, this gives me the chance to clean up or oil the fingerboard if required. If I'm re-stringing a Strat, I block the trem with a wooden wedge. And I always stretch new strings as I imagine does everyone else.

13. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hardly ever break a string. If I do it's usually a new one, so I suspect I just got a bad string.
    If it's been on a couple days, I just change that string. If it's been on longer, I change the whole set.
    I buy bulk strings so I can choose my own sizes, so I always have extra of each string.

14. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

In 59 years I have never broken a string while playing. I change strings once a month.
    Although I have broken high E while restringing and stretching it..( Too much muscle).
    I play my guitars,,I don't try to beat them to death.

15. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I broke one half way through a gig on Friday, just started using really expencive flatwounds and the top E went, bit of a bummer as I never break them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  16. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

I have to admit that I am a bit HEAVY with the Right Hand. I am working on it...

17. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I'm probably jinxing myself here but in 20 years of playing live I've never broken a string at a gig - I play with fingers so don't hit em too hard but even so, guess I've been lucky!

18. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I've broken two strings recently--the G and the D--and both times it was on a set of Elixirs that I was experimenting with. The D'Addarios I normally use haven't broken in recent memory. I did break a brand-new D'Addario G string on my Sigma DM-2 when I was carving a new nut and saddle for it and was getting them right. Lots of winding and unwinding during that project so I can't blame the string for breaking at the post.

I guess I'll stick with D'Addario. I was underwhelmed by the way the Elixirs broke--both at the saddle. This is on my Martin dreadnought acoustic.

As for strings, I change them all at once but unwind them individually; that way the tension on the neck is gradually relieved, and I can clean under the strings. It's not going to hurt any guitar for the neck to be untensioned.

19. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I change the broken string only. In my experience new strings have more risk of breaking than old ones. I'll change them all when recording, the start of a tour or whenever they sound dull to me.

20. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

When I played acoustic I use to brake them all the time and would replace only the broken one. Never broke one on electric, but if I did i would change them all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.