Broken coil wire blues

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by norand, Feb 26, 2020.

1. norand

norand TDPRI Member

So

I got to the installment part of my brand new BK Boot Camp-pups. Did a more or less complete rewiring. New pots, new cap, new pickups.

Got everything together, but the bridge pick up said nothing at all. Checked continuity in circuit. All well.
    Redid the ground wiring which was slightly strange from stock. Still nothing.

Checked the pickup itself. The tiny tiny wire connecting the coil to the black wire was snapped. The grounding plate connected to one of the screws was probably to blame (but mostly my hamfistedness of course)

The internet told me that if it was the "outer" end of the coil, I could unwind one turn and have extra wire to work with. Of course it wasn't, so the internet said the pickup was probably scrap now. (Funny how the internet seems to talk back at you sometimes, innit?)

I wrote a humble email to Bareknuckles explaining my predicament. They replied instantly and very kindly told me that rewiring would be more expensive than a new one. They suggested I tried soldering the two ends together again.

I just could not make that work! With only micro thin wire and no good surface it just got everything very messy.

I nearly tossed the pickup, but decided as a last resort to try to just flip the broken coil end down over the side and solder it to ground directly instead. The signal would have to travel a bit further to get to the ground wire to the volume pot, but hey, ground is ground.

It actually worked! The pickup sounds as loud and great now as the other one.

Of course this would never work with the live wire. But with the ground end it does not seem to matter much.

Cudos also to the good folks at Bareknuckles for not just making a top notch product at a fair price (in € at least) but also being so very accessible. I think I exchanged 10 emails with them over the course of choosing, buying and fitting their products. They were swift, kind and very helpful.

Attached Files:

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

according to this: the black is the start of the coil on a Fender with black and white wires and wound clockwise. If your pickup is wound similarly, then you may have soldered the finish side which is not tucked under the coil and theoretically could be unwrapped to be resoldered to the eyelet if is not hermetically sealed with some material. As you found out it is like a surgical procedure.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...onics_and_Wiring/Single-coil_Pickup_Kits.html

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It does appear that this is the "finish" end of the coil wind.. thus easily reparable... remove the tape on the coil.. it can be facilitated by warming it with a hair dryer, or heat gun if available.. If you use a heat gun, be careful.. it gets hot enough to do permanent damage..

once the tape is removed.. simply unwind a turn or two.. unsolder the black lead from the eyelet and poke a toothpick through it to clear it of solder.. stick the coil wire through it and loop it around a few times..

now from the back side.. re-solder it, leaving the solder tool in position for about 5 seconds, to give it time to burn the enamel coating from the wire... '

check for continuity, replace the protective tape... rock on

r

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Afflicted

I gently pull the wire once over the edge of an xacto blade to scrape the enamel/poly coating before soldering. Works every time. It also helps huge if you use a liquid flux pen to apply flux when working on small delicate connections like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.