1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

broke the head off a pickguard screw...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Feb 27, 2018.

1. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

...right as it tightened down. Broke off flush with the top so the full shank is buried, nothing to grab onto. Argh.

Any good ideas for how to remove it cleanly? (I have a screw removal bit set but it can't handle something this small...)

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I vote renting the DeLorean from Doc and Marty, and going back to stop yourself just prior to that last twist...

Joking aside, you can get reverse (left-handed) drill bits, and if put deep into a chuck with only a 1/4" out in a drill press, you could drill out the steel stub with a 1/16" bit or thereabouts. Not a prayer of doing this w/out a press, though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Torren61 likes this.
  3. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Here is a possible solution. Drill holes around the screw with a tiny drill bit. Then grab the screw with a pair of narrow tipped plyers and twist it out. Then fill the hole with a mix of sawdust and epoxy. After the epoxy sets, redrill the hole.

Here is another idea. Use a Dremel roto tool with a cutting disk to cut a slot in the top of the screw. Then screw out the screw with a - screw driver. If you grind down the cutting disk until it is small, you won't put much of a gash in the body of the guitar.

the-woey-man and Steve Holt like this.
  4. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Did the head break off at the top of the pickguard or flush with the body? If it broke off flush with the pickguard and you don't know how to solve that problem, you shouldn't be working on your guitar.

5. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

Yeah, I figured I'm stuck with drilling it out...

Was hoping someone knew of a magic trick.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Live with it or pay someone to remove it and fix the repair evidence.

7. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Its a countersunk screw so its highly unlikely to have broken off flush with the pickguard !!
    if you don't know that you shouldn't be giving advice on working on your guitar o_O;)

Peltogyne likes this.
  8. coolrene

coolrene TDPRI Member

I had the problem on a ThinLine, but it's barely visible and the pickguard holds tight thanks to the other screws. If it's aesthetically OK, I wouldn't touch it... Can we have a pic ?

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Worst case, use the S-M screw extractor to remove the screw and the wood around it, cut a plug, glue it in, and redrill. The tool helps cut the plug, too.

Perhaps start with these screw removal pliers, see if you can get a piece of it.

Still cheaper than a time machine...

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

moosie's got it
    another option is dremel away a bit of wood around the screw and then grab it
    luckily it ain't gonna show

11. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I just did something similar when I found 2 nails in a board I had crosscut for making a speaker cabinet. My saw blade had cut through them, leaving just the imbedded shanks of the nails in the end grain of the board. I got 2 sizes of steel roll pins from my local hardware store. I used the smallest one (3/16") with an inside diameter that would surround the shank of the nails. With a pointed grind stone in my Dremel, I tapered the inside and outside edges of one end of the roll pin, and filed a small notch (tooth) at the joint of the roll pin, to create a miniature plug cutter. Then I gently hammered the roll pin around the shank of the nail, driving it down about 1/8". Finally, I tightened the chuck of my battery drill around the pin, and slowly and incrementally drilled down. It worked like a champ.

I don't have pics of the imbedded nails, but I think you can see the idea here. I came back and drilled the holes out to 1/4" and doweled. The boards should be fine for the finger joints I will do eventually.

Total cost was $.44, by the way.

IMG_20180225_150401803_HDR.jpg IMG_20180225_154528366_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wow, that's pretty neat. Patient work. Those roll pins are hardened, arent they?

13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

They are spring steel, so plenty hard for end grain drilling in pine, and probably fine for most guitar bodies. With the Dremel and stone, I was able to make the end pretty sharp. I just realized my photo was taken before I filed the small notch at the pin's split to give it a little tooth. While drilling, I kept pulling it out of the hole and blowing out the sawdust until the nail came out in the center of the pin. Then I used a small drill bit to push the nail out of the pin and do the second hole.

14. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

How about a drop of JB Weld on top of the screw shank with something attached to unscrew it with when it sets?

Milspec likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Those screws are not deep nor do they have a lot of hold strength. Cut a slot into it and remove it with a fine screw driver.

LutherBurger likes this.
  16. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

+1

Additional snark response:

Glue the screw head to the pickguard. No one will ever know!

17. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you need to buy another guitar.

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Get a piece of brass tubing from a hobby shop and file teeth in the end of it. Use it in the drill to saw around the screw. Then stick a screwdriver down there and pop it sideways to break the grain. Replace the wood with a similar wood plug and glue. See the pic in post 11.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-fix-broken-screw-in-body.161641/

Frodebro likes this.
  19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This was what I was going to suggest as well. Have done it plenty of times myself.

20. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Is there enough access to put a tiny dab of superglue and reattach the head and unscrew the shaft?

Bit of masking tape on the finish to be on the safe side ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.