Broadcaster vs. Telecaster

petebrown

Tele-Meister
I've played several broadcasters, and they were all quite different from each other. Played a few with HUGE necks and heavy weight, my buddy has one he got indirectly from Nacho that is light with a small(ish) neck and flatter fingerboard- that one is possibly the best guitar I've EVER played...

They were all quite different from my '53 in general feel, and in the details pretty much in every way...

Drunkinminer

Tele-Holic
I'm kind of surprised that after all these years Fender has never regained the right to use the word Broadcaster for a special reissue model. Sounds like a seller.

It doubt the original legal issue still holds -- especially since FMIC now owns Gretsch? I speculate, of course.

Fender has most of the control over marketing, production and distribution of Gretsch guitars, but the Gretsch family still owns the company.

Last edited:

kuma52

Tele-Meister

I've got a custom shop reissue of the Broadcaster i bought last year, really nice guitar but no success at all. It was heavily discounted.

Mark Davis

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Main differences are the pickups and lack of a diagonal route for the wiring.

Other than the Blend which left in 52 and was replaced by the vintage dark wiring with the fixed bassy neck pickup and headstock decal just little details are different.

CChampagne. Esquire

TDPRI Member
We know that the Broadcaster bridge pickup is said to be wound with .43 gauge wire, rather than the later Telecaster .42 gauge wire for the bridge pickup.

Is it fair to say that most 1950 and January 1951 Fender bridge pickups were wound with
.43 gauge wire, and Ohm readings that approached 10?

Thanks.

CChampagne. Esquire

TDPRI Member
Based on what I have read and what I recollect:

The Nocasters date from January 1951 and end in April, 1951, because the Telecaster decals were first applied in April, 51.

WaylonFan76

Poster Extraordinaire
We know that the Broadcaster bridge pickup is said to be wound with .43 gauge wire, rather than the later Telecaster .42 gauge wire for the bridge pickup.

Is it fair to say that most 1950 and January 1951 Fender bridge pickups were wound with
.43 gauge wire, and Ohm readings that approached 10?

Thanks.

That matches the specs of my Klein Broadcaster pup. Looks like you are right on the money, there.