Broadcaster v tele info on controls

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ndavis1971, May 16, 2021.

1. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

I am considering purchasing a relic new broadcaster that is close in spec to early 50s. Almost 7 lbs. That means a hot bridge (9 or so ohms in output v 6.7 in neck) and, as I understand it, no tone knob to speak of. Instead what would be the tone knob on a Tele simply adds more neck to the bridge in the broadcaster from what I’ve read. Could be wrong. Center position on this one turns both pickups on like a humbucker.

Anyhow I have no experience with a broadcaster and I’m curious what your thoughts are on them, how such a setup changes the tone of a broadcaster versus a Tele, why people prefer one or the other, etc.

TIA

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Unfortunately, not like a humbucker if it's really like an original, because Fender did not use a reverse wound reverse polarity pickup pair.

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  3. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    If you’re talking about a CS Broadcaster, the wiring is like this: front position, neck pickup with preset bass; middle position, neck pickup, no tone; rear position, blend using the “tone” knob to blend the bridge pickup with the neck. No “regular” tone control at any position.FWIW, there is a prewired control harness included with the guitar to give you “normal” Tele wiring.

Tonetele, Telekarster and Ndavis1971 like this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

This video might help. Skip to about the 4 min mark...

gmann and Ndavis1971 like this.
  5. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

Thanks. It’s a nacho broadcaster. So tone knob works and middle position is “humbucker”. Which makes me wonder why he calls it a broadcaster...hot bridge maybe?

Telekarster likes this.
  6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Forget humbuckers. Sounds like it's a Blend Control, that adds more bridge pickup to the neck pickup until you get the stock "both pickups in Parallel" sound. Humbucker would be both pickups in Series, usually in the 4th (neck) position of a 4-way switch.

Telekarster likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder how many $$$s Norm sold it to his " buddy" for.

Telekarster likes this.
  8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

The nocaster I built I wired to the specs of 51/Broadcaster wiring. You'd be surprised how much I use the "Dark" setting. It's awesome in my ears via overdrive, and perfect for background chords for color with the rest of the band etc. Going through the proper amp, and proper pups (I used Fender's 51 pups), the tones are very jazzy just as you hear in the video.

Exactly right. It's a blend knob, when using the original wiring scheme, just as you say.

More than a bag o peanuts, or a new car, I'm sure LOL!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Ndavis1971 likes this.
  9. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Humbucking can happen whether the coils of a single pickups are wired in series or parallel (Bardens), and whether individual pickups are wired in series or parallel.

Ndavis1971 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.