Broadcaster style PU for Ash/Maple Tele?

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
How does The Boss and Flat 50 compare to the Paul Bunyan?
i’ll try:

boss:
had it in two guitars.
kind of a scooped EQ. more mids than a typical sub 7.5k wind but the mids are not dominant. the bass is kind of surprisingly big for a tele bridge PU but of course it’s easy to screw the pickup down. highs are not too bright nor too little for my liking. i roll the tone back to at most 8 but it’s also fine on 10. for twangy stuff this thing feels too big and slow, but i think nobody is buying it for that. this pickups is best for clean and slightly distorted rhythm sounds. with more gain i didn’t like it. as mention before i think the scoop is a bit too extreme to make for a pleasant distortion sound. if the highs and bass are too strong, with little mids to fill it out, it get’s kind of raspy and rough.
had this before with other pickups, although i do like some pickups, i would still describe as scooped.
since a few years i tend to keep the bass down in the early signal path and compensate for it with the amp setting. the distortion just sounds smoother and clearer/tighter to me.

zhangbucker paul bunyan:
tap at around 8k:
seems brighter, clearer and tighter as the boss. more mids than the boss but far from overbearing. this is definitely bright but not piercing. but mostly i use this setting with the tone rolled down a bit. but difference to the full wind isn’t so big as would have expected. but i also don’t want a lower wind tap. just more tonepot fiddling and a sound i like less…
full 9.5k:
slightly increased bass and mids. the highs are now perfect so i don’t really use the tone pot. mids are a tad more prominent than with the tap but still nothing i would describe as overbearing. the pickup is hotter than standard and way hotter than a standard tele neck, but that’s the only downside: the inbalance between neck and bridge.

bare knuckle flat50s:
it’s been only a few hours i enjoyed this pickup, so read with caution😉
it’s not really hot, in fact this is the pickup that balances best with a std tele neck PU out of those three. but the boss isn’t that much hotter.
it’s a very balance tone that makes for a rounder distortion. can’t really put my finger on it yet. it definitely has more mids than the boss. compared to the PB i don’t know. never had them in the same guitar. but since i like them with the same amp setting i guess they’re not too far off.
enough low end (and i tend to run my pickups rather deep).
feels more vintage than the paul bunyan. definitely more clank on the attack, but the highs are round enough so it’s not unpleasant.

i don’t normally play clean on the bridge, but also the paul bunyan and the flat 50s can all sound good from the edge of breakup to modern distortion levels.

definitely in the honeymoon phase, but so far the pickups i liked immediately, i still poses to this day.

you can mess around a lot with pots, but i never really bonded with any sub 7.5k AWG42 tele bridge winds. a 230k volume pot or the tone rolled down never made me like a pickup.

maybe i should try adding some parallel capacities (and shift down the resonance peak) to safe some PUs i have layin around.

in my next build i will try one of those A3 AWG43 10kish. still a bit curious.

Last edited:

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
wow, resale value is great on those things. Maid a profit selling the Boss set!
i bought it used post brexit and therefore import tax free.
now list prices skyrocketed here