Broadcaster style PU for Ash/Maple Tele?

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
finished a roasted swamp Ash partscaster with a maple neck.
sounds good accoustically. A thicker neck profile might be even better soundwise. Maybe i switch some necks around.
It's not overly bright or thin sounding. Also in no way dark or bloated. Nice even sound i'd say.

Tried the Duncan "broadcaster" STL-1B in it and didn't like it at all. i tried this pickup before and i had the same result.
it's very bright with a dominant upper mid push and not much else. i doubt this is a 8K AWG42 wind. must be AWG43 because the bobbin is not very full.
Had to turn the tone down a lot, and still didn't bond with it.
Will give this Pickup one more change in a warm Alder tele i might posses in the future...

Tried the BKP Boss in it and this one is much beefier! although i like it better there is something strange about the lowend. when playing dirty, the chords ring out in a unpleasant way. the big bass makes it sound like a fog horn. well not really but i want the gain structure to be smoother. the grid of the distortion should be of a smaller grain if that description makes any sense. Big bass never does help in this regard.
Lowered it way down to the point where it's starts to sound kind of whimpy, but that characteristics never really went away? Maybe it's the scooped nature of the PU?
in my other tele i got zhangbucker Paul Bunyan which i really like, but i want to try something different.

i am curious about those broadcaster style PUs. I am not into authentic vintage reproduction but what is to expect from PUs like:
Fender twisted tele bridge
BKP flat 50s
Cavalier NoCaster Holygrail...
etc.

how do they compare soundwise?
how will they differ to a comparable AWG42 A5 Pickup or overwound one like the Paul Bunyan?
i always play with some dirt. from mild crunch to quite heavy stuff. So nothing uber twangie, but also nothing like an all middy Duncan Hot for tele style Pickup...

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Dave from SD claims the Duncan Broadcaster is A5/42 wire.

Doesn't seem like a "faithful tribute" that they claim.

Have you tried an SD Jerry Donohue?

The Cavalier HG Nocaster gets good reviews too.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member

takauya

Tele-Meister
Technically it's not a Broadcaster style pup, but the Suhr Classic T Bridge could be a good candidate.

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
I have a 68 re-issue Thinline with "nocaster" pickups, that might fill the bill. Very articulate, which was common for the time.
there was an fender 10k nocaster bridge but it‘s not for sale anymore.

i don‘t think i will like anything under 9k AWG43. since i didn‘t like any 7 to 8k AWG42 pickups…

i know dcr is not a good criteria to characterize a pickup, it should actually be infuctance and turncount.
also tightness and turns per layer are important…

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
I have a SD Antiquity I flatpole in my 50s style pc. Ash/maple. Sounds great. Lots of good choices out there that may suit your need. 😀
i am kind of through with duncans
(tried the the STL-1, STL-1B, STL-52, lil59 and QP)
liked the QP the best, but it was too compressed for me in the long run.

this one looks wheempy with 6,5k and i don‘t think degaussing magnets will do that much to make it a fatter sound. it‘s also too expensive for a duncan.

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
Dave from SD claims the Duncan Broadcaster is A5/42 wire.

Doesn't seem like a "faithful tribute" that they claim.

Have you tried an SD Jerry Donohue?

The Cavalier HG Nocaster gets good reviews too.
i think it was the opposite.
i will search for it.
yeah it‘s not a faithful tribute, but i wouldn‘t mind if i like the sound.
but i don‘t!

i am kind of through with duncans, but the donahue might be the one i should try. maybe round enough with a A2 mag and will balance better with a tele neck than the Paul Bunyan.

yes, i have my eye on the cavalier nocaster holy grail. i seems legit, but i am more curious how someone will describe it‘s sound. the sound clips are not really good for comparison.

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
I remember seeing a post here or on the Duncan forum saying that the Broadcaster is 43awg. Seems to be the case considering how small the coil is (8k in 42awg would be a pretty full bobbin):

Compare with the Vintage ‘54 which is 7K but had a fuller bobbin:

i don‘t know who adam gotch is but:

i think you are correct!
yes even the STL-1 had a more filled bobbin. i owned it once. The Boss is also much fuller, and is about the same DCR

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
actually i was hoping for some sound descriptions, rather than more pickups suggestions.
what will be the tonal differences of these pickups, compared to each other etc...
or compared to the pickups i know

tho618

Tele-Meister
I haven’t tried this pup, but the Mojotone Broadcaster sounds pretty good to my ears. A little Mellencamp to boot! 😉

The trick w Broadcasters I find is they have more mids and if you add even more w a mids hump OD, it gets that nasal honk which you may not like.

You might be better off w a 7-8k range pup w 42awg wire. Then if more mids added via a pedal it still sounds good.

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
I haven’t tried this pup, but the Mojotone Broadcaster sounds pretty good to my ears. A little Mellencamp to boot! 😉

The trick w Broadcasters I find is they have more mids and if you add even more w a mids hump OD, it gets that nasal honk which you may not like.

You might be better off w a 7-8k range pup w 42awg wire. Then if more mids added via a pedal it still sounds good.

Yes, i don’t like any kind of honk!

But meanwhile i got the BKP flat 50s and i like it!
it sounds much rounder, than “the boss”.
Also that raspy, farty, fog horn quality is gone.
i guess it’s the added mids that make for a smoother distortion…

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
I realized that I have no idea how to describe how a pickup sounds. Even when I read descriptions, they make little sense to me. Youtube clips are of little help too. I recommend you do what everyone else does. Keep buying until you find one you like :)

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
I would give a 10k/42/A3 pickup a try. Less fundamental and more mids, less brittle hifi-ish twang. Q-pickups is quite cheap and fast when ordering from Europe. Excellent pickups IME

TinkerSolderTry

Tele-Meister
I realized that I have no idea how to describe how a pickup sounds. Even when I read descriptions, they make little sense to me. Youtube clips are of little help too. I recommend you do what everyone else does. Keep buying until you find one you like :)
yes, it's hard and i don't think i am good at it.
"the boss" description and specs sounded like something i'd like, but i don't.
clips can be good, but only in a comparison where the only variant is the pickup.
Currently have 5 Teles. since last weekend, they got all pickups i like.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
yes, it's hard and i don't think i am good at it.
"the boss" description and specs sounded like something i'd like, but i don't.
clips can be good, but only in a comparison where the only variant is the pickup.
Currently have 5 Teles. since last weekend, they got all pickups i like.

How does The Boss and Flat 50 compare to the Paul Bunyan?