1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Broadcaster style blackguard build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TenaciousP, Apr 23, 2021.

1. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Hey everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve done an actual new build thread. It’s been a couple of years since I built a guitar in fact. Anyhow, a friend approached me a while back about doing a Broadcaster style Tele. So I spent some time studying plans and drawing up a set of templates based on said plans. My templates are based on drawings that were created by Ed Hawley if I remember correctly. I also had the opportunity to compare the templates to my friends 61 Esquire and they seemed to match up very well. Most recently, I spent some time building and testing a couple of jigs to route the curved truss rod channel and to drill the holes in the ends of the skunk stripe style maple necks. With all that completed, the time finally came to start building.

So a couple of evenings ago, I traced my template on the blanks and roughly bandsawed the bodies out. I’m building one for myself too by the way. It’s hard for me to resist a good blackguard tele ya know! :D

It’s not much yet, but it’s what I have so far.

Bandsawing on the old Delta...
    6C2E3425-BE54-4656-9914-1557FAF5DBEA.jpeg

And a pair of bodies! or at least the beginnings of...:p
    CABD8362-3767-4842-AE04-B245DDCFF86E.jpeg

Here is the prettier of the two with a Phenolic pickguard laid on it. I can kinda picture it if I use a little imagination.:lol:

90C0C3F4-BA7F-42E6-AB2E-14E5F0102B90.jpeg

The bodies are one piece, ultra light swamp ash. They both have a density of 2 pounds per board foot or a little less. So they should make for some nice light weight guitars. I hope to have some more updates soon.

2. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

nice wood, as they say.
    suggest saving your cutoffs - it's nice to have something for the other 1/2 - 2/3 of your router baseplate to ride on when you're routing that neck pocket.

pavel likes this.
  3. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Thanks!

Yea, I always save my offcuts. I have a huge pile that I keep around. They can definitely come in handy at times. And you can always test spray finish on them if nothing else.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't wait to see the 3 degree jig you came up with. :)

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Awesome man! Looking forward to the progress! Just FYI that I think I read somewhere recently that there's some sort of shortage on this type of wood now? You might be building some rarities too, if true ;)

6. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Yea, I believe it. The place I got those blanks from only had those two left. And they weren’t cheap.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Telekarster likes this.
  7. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I made a fair amount of progress yesterday afternoon. I gave the roughly sawn out bodies a quick sanding on the ROSS to get them a little closer to the line. Then routed the perimeter with a flush trim spiral bit.

295E8F7D-E2F5-4D5A-B510-47EADB669A4C.jpeg F67C6DF9-8BF1-46E8-8CE4-5455E2C095E2.jpeg

I used that same template to drill my neck mounting screw holes as well after routing. The slot in the template will be used later on the top side to cut the notch between the neck pocket and the neck pickup. I made it a separate operation since I’m using a bushing on my router. You’ll end up with a radius on outside corners when used a router bushing. Not that it would matter, but it just wouldn’t look right under the pickguard. :lol:

B64BA53E-37FC-445A-83FA-EAEFD5195330.jpeg

I then attached my pickup routing template to the top. I used small nails in the locations where early tele bodies normally have nail holes from the painting process.

And after a bit of routing.
    7A795408-F1A9-47FF-857A-53D972FB24CC.jpeg
    I also drill my bridge mounting screw pilot holes and partially through the string though holes with this template.

With the template removed, I drilled a wiring hole through to the bridge pickup cavity. These won’t have the diagonal channel as most Broadcasters did not.

3BB0DB9F-AC65-488F-BE44-EEF76C6935D2.jpeg

I then clamped my perimeter template on to the top and routed the truss rod adjustment notch as discussed earlier.

AFC067E5-F1B7-46A9-B63D-96448FD17CC9.jpeg

Looking more like blackguard tele bodies!

EE13A1DC-20E8-4029-9C26-7854FE8444C0.jpeg

I hope to have more progress this week.

old wrench, pavel, kifla and 5 others like this.
  8. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Get busy!

TenaciousP likes this.
  9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Looks great nice clean job that
    what are the weight of the bodies ?

Jerry J likes this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

That's very fine looking! Congratulations!

TenaciousP likes this.
  11. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Thanks! They don’t have the Jack hole drilled yet and a few other little things that will reduce a small amount of additional weight. But currently they were both about 3.9lb/1.75kg.

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

That's perfect! And you're right: that is some very light swamp ash!

13. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I’m expecting the finished guitars to be around 6.5lb. I have a Tele I built about 10 years ago that has a body made of White Pine that has a similar density as this ash. It weighs about 6.5lb. Everything else (hardware, neck, pickups, etc..) on it is roughly the same as what will be on these two. So I figure these two should be of a similar final weight.

jfgesquire and theprofessor like this.
  14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous.

Can't wait to see this finished!

Are you doing the finish as if we went back in time, or are you going to "amber" the clear coat?

15. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I’m still thinking on the finish. I was kinda thinking to go with a “back in time” pale color like what is under the pickguard in the below pic. That way the exposed finish can darken from UV on its own. But, I’ll keep thinking on it.

4A6F647F-1D02-42BC-9040-C0366322B8BC.jpeg

jfgesquire likes this.
  16. jfgesquire

I am actually stuck in that spot. I have read that the Behlens stringed instrument lacquer does yellow over time like the original lacquer used by Fender. I have a pint in a jar on the deck waiting to see if it ambers at all for me. I already have the guitar whitewashed waiting for some form of clear coat of lacquer, although I don't know how much tint I'm going to do at this point.

I will be following you for ideas!

20201202_150205.jpg

17. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Nice looking guitar!

I’m planning to use Nitro lacquer from Sherwin Williams. I have aged it before in liquid form like what you are doing. It will turn from pale golden color to a very dark amber after a few months of direct sunlight. I find that the non-aged lacquer will darken a lot from UV once it’s on a guitar. It checks fairly quickly too. I can’t decide if the color coat should be just white or if it should be slightly yellow tinted. Most pics of early 50’s teles appear to be a pale yellowish cream color under the pickguard. But I’m not sure if that is the actual original color or if that lacquer has yellowed to a degree even without UV exposure.

jfgesquire likes this.
  18. jfgesquire

I always like to refer myself to this picture. It's only black and white, but I think this picture tells me that it should be white white with only the sealed and grain filled color of the ash coming through.

upload_2020-10-6_14-41-20.jpeg

A coat of shellac sealer really darkened the filled ash so my whitewash wasn't stark white.

20201112_200504.jpg

19. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Interesting!

20. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Ahhh Right perfect weight then
    other than Ash is harder to get hold of it sure will cost more for light weight blanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.