1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Broadcaster Reissue, AO Tele, or American Performer for First Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mbc220, Aug 19, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned a Player Strat, and a Performer Strat, and the Player is a nice guitar, but the Performer is miles above the Player IMO, contrary to some other opinions here. It's as good in every way as my Am Pro Strat, and the Yosemite pickups, both Strat and Tele, are my favorite of any Strat or Tele pickup I've ever tried in 5 decades. That's my opinion.
    BTW, the Performer guitars have jumbo frets, so they will feel a little more like a LP or SG.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    mbc220 likes this.
  2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

If you play the more expensive guitars and like them more, absolutely spend the extra money.
    Since the OP hasn't put hands on any of the guitars he has no idea which he will actually prefer. The small differences don't add up to $700-$800.

3. closedmri

closedmri TDPRI Member

I have not played any of these but would like to pass along my experience with tele pickups, particularly the bridge. If you’re really rocking on some hot Alnico Vs through a super clean sounding amp, you will likely overdose on high end. They are great for getting softer playing styles to cut through and sound nice. Ie more of the twangy, country-tinged style stuff. Not sure if that’s the sonic realm your trying to expand into or not but my tele is my go for that kind of stuff. Good luck!

mbc220 likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's a good description. For the record I have Strats, Teles, an SG and a Gretsch. If I could only keep one it would be a Strat. In reality it's nice to have them all. Some guitars fit a song better than others. I have to work the volume and tone controls on a Tele more I do with my other guitars to control either the mids or the high end. I still usually reach for my Tele first.

5. mbc220

mbc220 TDPRI Member

Keep it coming!
    I did not even think about fret wire because I've always taken it for granted. That's really useful to keep in mind. Man, there's no getting around trying these in person.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  6. mbc220

mbc220 TDPRI Member

I have to say, the Yosemite pickups in the Strat sound so good, they almost make me reconsider going for a Tele. I've been very impressed with the sounds of them I've heard.

7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Yes they do. The labor alone costs more. The Blackguard pickups in the Broadcastser are handwound and used to be sold for $500 as an aftermarket set (vs $100 for Yosemites). The nitrocellulose finish is more labor intensive than the polyurethane, which adds to the cost. The G&G case is $200, set of Gotoh SD91 tuners and special bushings are $45, and my tech charges $80 for bone nuts. The Broadcaster reissue, for what it is, is a good value and will be collectible.

Plus, I got my Broadcaster at a closeout price. By the time I would have added Gotohs, a G&G case, nut, and labor, the Performer would have only been $65 less.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Here's a good example of the Yosemite Tele pickups too. I put some in a Squier Bullet Tele, and I love them too. I guess you noticed that my Avatar is a Performer Strat, the best one I've ever owned in more than 50 years.

9. ECC83

ECC83 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The differences are tiny on paper, but are *very* apparent when you play the two guitars side by side.
    Performer has a satin-finished (tung-oiled?) neck which is ok, but feels less luxury than the broadcaster's lacquered neck. The Professional has a lacquered neck that feels somewhat similar, but has a different profile. All Broadcasters I played were much more resonant than the Performers. Professionals are similarly resonant to Broadcaster. Broadcaster pickups are better than Performer's (but may not be better than Professional's).

Overall, Performer is a great guitar, but it's still not cheap. Performer is what you'd stretch to if you were looking at MIM Teles, but didn't like them. If money is less of a problem, or you are buying a guitar for life, I'd go for a Broadcaster, AO or Professional.

And yes, always haggle to bring the price down. At MAP all Fenders are too expensive.

EspyHop likes this.
  10. mbc220

mbc220 TDPRI Member

Can’t find a store nearby with a Broadcaster, but I do see some AOs. Those also have vintage tall frets, which I’m curious about. How different will the experience be between the AO 9.5 radius and the Broadcaster 7.25? I’ve read some posts saying tall frets work well with 7.25.

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I have 4 guitars, including a '52 and '64 AV with a 7.25" radius and some version of small vintage frets. Then I got an AO Jazzmaster with 9.25" radius and vintage tall fret wire. To be honest, I never noticed any difference. The difference between the JM and the others, for me, is the same difference between the 7.25" radius guitars with the smaller vintage frets. It's all about the neck shape. Unless you are very particular, I wouldn't let the slightly larger radius and frets put you off the AO tele.

12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just my 2 cents. I'm a long time Gibson LP guy also. Went thru 5 Tele's until i found my keeper. It's a very similar '17 AV52 Telecaster. The Broadcaster, even with a slightly narrower neck would be my first suggestion for you. The AO series second. I'm not knocking non MIA guitars too much, but nowadays it's only MIA Fenders and/or Gibsons for me also.

As for the radius, yes I notice the difference if I play the Tele and then pick up the SG (no LP at the moment) or visa versa but it doesn't affect my playing abilities at all.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    mbc220 likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No one wants to accept this. But specs are just that. Specs. I've played new Fenders with "vintage tall frets" that seemed more like vintage. And ones with "vintage" frets that seemed more like "vintage tall". And "vintage tall" that seemed more like almost medium jumbos.

It's all personal preference, touch, and how picky/adaptable you are. No one here can tell you that in any meaningful way, unfortunately.

EspyHop likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.