Broadcaster Reissue (all) Owners' Club

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
New Broadcaster owner here. While I love my Telecasters, there's something really fun about saying, "I have a new #1 and it's not a Telecaster".
66310508422__E8BC8AA9-FD91-48F6-8613-E5F9D954FEF0.jpg

SonicBlueByYou

TDPRI Member
I thought it was time I joined this club. The honeymoon period is over and I still think it’s the best modern-production ”Tele” I have ever played. Maybe the best Tele period!

7 pound 1 oz. Just an Awesome guitar. My old Time Machine relic Nocaster is getting dusty.

1B1AFAFF-C556-4E0C-B527-2BDB2DD2A343.jpeg

A6D3844E-DFE0-4FD3-B96B-000D31018555.jpeg
7E7DA107-D332-4E67-B666-452FA6624D4B.jpeg

Last edited:

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
So far, I love my 70th Ann Broadcaster, but it's a bit to get used to. Mainly the gloss lacquer finish especially on the back of the neck.

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
What pickups come in the non CS 70th Ann Broadcaster. I'm having issues finding info on them. Trying really hard to NOT remove the bridge to look and measure.

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
They are made specially for this 70th Anniversary model and otherwise unavailable. Currently.
Interesting. I bought a set of CS Blackguard pickups a about five years ago. They don't make them anymore. Great-sounding pickups. The pickups in my Broadcaster remind me of them. Seem very different that the CS Nocaster pickups; more open and "alive" sounding.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
The pickups consist of a Custom Shop–designed ’50-’51 Blackguard in the neck position and a ’50-’51 Blackguard at the bridge. A three-way blade switch selects the pickups in standard Tele fashion (neck, both, bridge), and the circuit sports an old-style .05 MFD/150 V.D.C capacitor and cloth-covered wiring.

Masmus

Tele-Holic
The bridge pickup does not sound like the original in my broadcaster and is certainly not made to those specs. I have talked to others that believe it's likely a see post above^, remember there is no one spec for the originals. They were generally the same with individual variances with 43 gauge wire but different amount of windings.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I buildeded my own because what was available didn't have the features I wanted. Chambered pine body, homebrew neck with ebony fretboard and no dots, and two sizes of fretwire (jumbo 1-9, vintage 10-22). Total weight is 5.8 lbs. Just because!

View attachment 940678

That is a killer looking guitar, sir. Love that pick guard shape and the reversed control plate. I would feel lost on a fretboard without markers (even if it had side dots) though, but that's just me. Boy, this is a real stunner, though.

I have to ask about the hybrid fret wire size. Very interesting, indeed. For me, Jumbo and what's now called "Narrow Tall" frets are just too high for me. Any fret wire above 0.051" in height and I'm a dead man. I always bend the notes too sharp on chords and sliding produces a comical "da-da-da-da-da" noise as my fingers run over the frets. But, I'm curious about the advantages of this hybrid wire you chose. Please share your wisdom!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm curious about the advantages of this hybrid wire you chose. Please share your wisdom!

Not sure about any wisdom 🤪 but the jumbo wire is 6100 and the narrower wire is 6105. "Vintage" really is not a good descriptor because it is tall. Both are stainless steel and start out at .055" tall, and were ground down to about .050". The reason for the two sizes was an experiment to see if it made playing up on the higher frets any easier.

Fatter frets certainly make chording easier for me on the lower frets toward the nut. I'm not too certain it makes enough of a difference to use two different sizes, however. Most of my guitars have SS 6100 fret wire, and this guitar feels the same to me no matter where I am on the neck. This was just an experment to see if it mattered. I think it really doesn't.

The switch on there is a Gibson-style Switchcraft. I could've used a typical Tele 3-way, but this guitar is not typical. The original pickguard I made for it was sort of like the one on there now, but it was curved and I didn't like the look as much...so I made the one you see here.

Here's a link to the build thread:

Cheers,

Geno

Last edited:

Broadcasted

TDPRI Member
Hey all....so I've been doing some digging after watching the 70th Anniversary Custom Shop Broadcaster promo video with Mike Lewis at the Custom Shop....he states that they based this release from specs taken in the early 2010's of a Broadcaster that was in a private collection....they based the neck, electronics and most other specs of this reissue based on that unique example....Mike even mentions that the neck shape they're using..."1950's Blackguard" with a slightly narrower nut was based on this example....and also the 50/51 Blackguard pickups presumably were modeled after specs taken....so I went over to BlackguardLogs.com and think I may have found the guitar they took the specs from is 0027...https://blackguardlogs.com/guitars/detail/0027 Best I can tell it matches up visually but I wanted to get y'all's eyes to take a look and get your impressions....this is just part of my guitar obsession and not really a big deal but i think it cool to know exactly which guitar ours was "cloned" from.....here is the link to the youtube video and Mike starts talking about the specs taken around the 4:25 minute mark....thank y'all:

Updating the link to the blackguard log entry for 0027 as the site is now "guitar logs.com"..... https://guitarlogs.com/gear/detail/4f8e5e93-b494-4b30-9df8-88ff0c6fe833. BTW there used to be better pics (about three) on this entry when it was "blackguard logs"....now there's just one pic from what appears to be the Fender Telecaster book....so this image may not be as good to compare with the example in the video they took the specs from...if anyone has any better images of 0027 I'd be glad to know how to find them....thank y'all!

Last edited:

horax

Tele-Afflicted
Used to have an AO50 that was amazing.
purchased a 70th broadcaster non CS version. Will be here Tuesday.
has anybody been able to compare the two?

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
Funny, I received an email notification about this thread that said this, "I'm selling mine if anyone is looking for one!". I was going ask why you were selling; but it looks like you have changed your mind. I'm glad to hear.
Lol I did sell it, I changed that post after I sold it to not get anyone's hopes up lol. It's on its way to its new owner.
Great guitar but I wasn't playing it.

horax

Tele-Afflicted
Mine came in tonight..:but I’m wondering if I should sell/return and get a custom shop version?

For those who have played both, would you say the custom shop is that much better than the production run?

I will post pix tomorrow.