Broadcaster "Dark Circuit"....

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Texicaster, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

¡Bueno!™

So I just got a new CS Broadcaster with the "dark circuit" CS installed. It comes with a Fat 50s Tele harness to swap if I don't like....But A-B'ing a bit of a hassle and curious of opinions of those who have faced similar decisions and if a swap was cool or you went back "dark".

Fender brightened it up so it's not really a dark circuit like the originals. You get 2 neck tones.

The blend is pretty cool and the only think really missing is a tone knob adjustment. Seems the blend covers 90% of what I want a tone control to perform......

I'm leaning heavily towards keeping but super curious how the pups react to "normal" Tele controls.

Thanks!

2. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I have the stock broadcaster wiring in mine. The neck position with resistor is pretty much useless or unless you’re using it for jazz type stuff. However the neck straight through is wild and I love the bridge position and being able to roll in the neck. For what I play I never had the need to swap the wiring around to the more vintage/modern tele setup.

VillainSean and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

You can change the value of the resistor for the dark position. I used a .022 for my 50s T-style. I really like the BC blend.

hepular likes this.
  4. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

First congrats on your new guitar.

You could remove the resistor and run a jumper wire. Just put it across the where the resistor was. Replace the cap with a different value. I like .022uF It wont be as dark.

But the "normal" wiring is more versatile. You have the tone control for both pickups. Plus you can use both pickups together.

But you said you have 90% of what you want. The "normal" wiring with both pickups together or the bridge with the tone rolled off might be what you are missing.

I tried both. I also tried the mods I mentioned. I the end I went back to stock. You have a little more options.

Both pickups on with "normal" wiring sounds good too.

You can get lots of opinions. But you are the only one that knows what you like. If it were me I would try both for a while.

Texicaster likes this.
  5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I was never a fan of the dark circuit. I had it in an 99 AVRI. If I recall you go in between the selector to get both pickups.
    They gave you a kit to use normal 3 way switching but I was too lazy and clumsy to do it.

Texicaster likes this.
  6. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They changed it a little bit so it's not as dark. Here's the specs of the circuit. I'm not sure how the values alter the tone.

Position 1. Bridge Pickup With Blender, Position 2. Neck Pickup with Volume, Position 3. Neck Pickup with Volume, 10K Resistor and .001uF Capacitor.

gtrwrks likes this.
  7. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    To me, on my Broadcaster, the third position is a little bit brighter than the second position.

8. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

same.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

I meant capacitor as opposed to resistor. I think that the BC blend is just as " versatile " as the modern. Maybe even more so.

Fender-guy and hepular like this.
  10. Blackguard bob

Blackguard bob TDPRI Member

I love the dark circuit, I added a four way switch to my tele so I could have modern wiring and a dark circuit if I choose. Best of both worlds IMO. Congratulations on the new guitar. Enjoy it whatever you choose to do.

11. SnidelyWhiplash

How did you accomplish this with a 4 way? Do you have a diagram?

12. Blackguard bob

No, my buddy has it. I’ll see if he will send me a screen shot.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  13. Blackguard bob

He told me he does still have it and that he will send me a picture of it this afternoon when he gets off of work. I’ll post it here.

jim777 likes this.
  14. Blackguard bob

Here it is. 39069405-3430-4992-9D4F-968847AA3D60.jpeg

rodger, VillainSean and gtrwrks like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.