Britt speaker for DR.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by psykobilly, Sep 14, 2019.

1. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

Bought a 68 DR a while back and put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in it because, well, its what I had layin around. It is a great speaker, it really is, but I have a few friends that run british flavored speakers in their amps and love the tone of them also. Looking at an ET-65 and Emi JS-1250. Anybody have input on pro's, cons to any of these? I know tone is a very subjective thing, but I like to ask for opinions before dropping 100+ based on youtube videos....

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I really like a GB in a DR. Some hair for more than country twangin.

codamedia likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Well I’m a Brit. So I suppose my ears are tuned to Celestions and I’ve been running cabs with Celestion blues and greens since I was a teenager in the late 70s.

I have a British made Creamback in my DRRI 65 and I like the way it kills the ice pick and it kicks the Mids up a bit and smooths the amp which makes a difference at volume in the band. It makes it more punchy. At lower quiet volumes it is more polite. I like my tone a bit crunchy and this fits perfectly.

jimash and gridlock like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

If you can find one, an Eminence Red Fang.

I've one that I pop into an old friend that I've had forever (a 1967 Deluxe Reverb) periodically because it sounds 'really really good', as opposed to the just 'really good' that the original speaker provides.

They are, however, a bit difficult to find.

5. robt57

Makes it louder too. That is an efficient high sensitivity speaker. Up there with the most. My fav speaker, it is like a Blue with built in insurance. ;)

But IMO, and I take the tome circuits outta my Teles, not in a DR for me. Although with a tone circuit as Leo intended it... ;)

Bit I have not tried it, so I should not cast stones I guess.

rolandson likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

That it does, that it does!

When it's not in the DR, it's in a cabinet driven by a 5 Watt PicoValve clone. And it is quite loud in that too.

It's got beans, and not at all shrill about it...!

7. robt57

My Red Fang was in a 112 with my Pathfinder 15R as a little head. That speaker allowed the amp to have enough bark IMO. But I got a 5E3 finally and used it for that. But in the end, the 5E3 has an 1960s Heppner Alnico in it, cause it sounds more right.

Red Fang paired with a Hammond Ghia head. But I am not tinkering much anymore. If I was to use the 5E3 out, sounding more orig would be why I;d take it. The Ghia/Fang is for doing much more of the nasty in a rowdier direction. Tweed D for smooth compressed woman tone I suppose.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Love celestions but et65 will warm things up a lot.

9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I recently bought a near mint 1965 Deluxe Reverb, the previous owner boxed the original Oxford and installed a Celestion Blue. The amp did sound really good with the Blue, but I swapped the Blue with an Alessandro GASC64.

With the Alessandro, the amp sounds more like a vintage Fender amp should. The Blue sounded great, but I have Marshall’s for my British tones.

00AEBDCF-BE27-4EF5-AA7B-120437986FA8.jpeg

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Since you mentioned an Eminence JS-1250 in your original post, I can comment on that one.

In my Deluxe Reverbs, I have had:

Jensen C12K
    Eminence Cannabis Rex
    Fat Jimmy 1270
    WGS Blackhawk HP
    Eminence GB128
    Eminence Alessandro GA-SC64
    Eminence JS-1250

Of those, the Fat Jimmy 1270, the Blackhawk HP, and the Eminence GB128 can be considered a bit more British in flavor, with the GB128 being voiced quite like a Celestion Greenback. The Eminence JS-1250 is probably slightly in the direction of those two, but not far over on the "British" side of things. That JS-1250 has stayed in my amp, and I've not thought of searching anymore ever since. I think it's the best speaker I've heard in a Deluxe Reverb.

Here's my review of the JS-1250 in a DR:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/my-review-of-eminence-js-1250-in-a-deluxe-reverb.889904/

psykobilly likes this.
  11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Eminence GB128

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Alnico Cream, if you can afford it. I bought mine used. It's fairly warm, but not overly so. I'm also a big fan of the GB128, a little brighter than the Cream. It's cheap and sounds great in Fender combos. I use them in my Princeton Reverb builds.

uriah1 likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya, I swap back and forth a gold alnico or cream alnico..but, creamback has something else too
    Definitely not the Fender chime, but, I dont use chime a lot with that amp.

14. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Try an Eminence Private Jack - one of these made my old Peavey Classic 30 sound loads better than with the stock speaker.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  15. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

Well, Mr Professor, after reading your review and mulling it over for a bit, I pulled the trigger on a js1250. Everything you said about it is spot on. 110%. Put it in Friday, played my first job with it last night. Perfect, it absolutely has the right amount of everything. Honestly, if it sounds any better after it gets broken in, I don’t know if I will be able to stand it!!! Thanks for the concise description.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  16. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'm really happy you're pleased with it. It never ceases to please me as well. Selfishly, it also makes me feel better, as I never hear anyone else talk about a JS-1250 in a DR. Now there are at least two of us who think it's great! Enjoy, and thanks for letting me know. That's why I wrote the review in the first place.

psykobilly likes this.
  17. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I heard a guy play a DR with a Vintage 30 in it and it was definitely a nice sound. Much more efficient speaker too.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  18. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Alnico Cream

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have tried a few. The brit speakers did not win out in a DR for me, But Robben Ford uses a 12-65 in his DR.
    Greenback: Liked at first but as it broke in too gritty for a 22 watt amp. Great for leads, not great for chording.
    Various gt12-65 types: Tried vintage and new Celestions, Creamback, Weber 12-65's etc. Not my favorite type in this amp. Those are scooped speakers and the amp is also.
    Weber Silver Bell: Really like this speaker in the DR. 50-75 watt version.
    Emi V128: Pretty nice in a DR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.