1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

British Blues-Rock. What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

But the OP was asking how they got those sounds then, not how they might get other sounds now. That was the question I was trying to answer.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

No I was asking how YOU got that sound. I know how those guys did it. Loud Marshall's, wah and Fuzz. :D

3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Me?

Ok. Telecaster. Blues jr. Soul food steve Vai bad horsie II Wah pedal. Dunlop red fuzz.

4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster, SG Classic, Cry Baby, and a Danelectro French Toast w/o the octave engaged and a Carbon Copy delay. The CC is unnecessary for 60s British Blues Rock. Can do Mayall era Clapton, ACDC, Kossoff tones pretty well. Throw a Rangemaster clone in for Sabbath tunes. Can get pretty loud! Using WGS G12Qs which breakup early to give up the goods without killing everything in the room.

5. Paul in Colorado

I also have a slightly modded Bassmaster, but I find it a little of the clean side for Brit-Blues. Maybe with the right drive or boost. How does the Rangemaster clone work with the Traynor.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Might look at this COT50 germ from Lovepedal. I've got one of them and a Pickle Vibe half price new.
    http://lovepedalcustomeffects.myshopify.com

Half price flash sale for $112. Add to cart> checkout>show details and add TAKE50 code>continue to shipping and payment options. Don't procrastinate, temp sale, no telling what he may throw up there today, then it will be gone.

Sam makes it sound tasty for them types of licks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  7. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

The Rangemaster works great with the Traynor, which takes pedals pretty well in general. I did put a switch that uses different caps for low, mid and regular. Our band does Paranoid and with the mid cap selected nails that tone.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Classic British Blues rock relied mainly on non-master volume amps driven hard and loud. Forget pedals, but if you want to get close to the glorious racket of Cream-era Clapton get yourself a decent attenuator-THD Hot Plate or Marshall Power Brake for example-and max your amps.
    If you want to get Peter Green's out of phase (or whatever it is) clean tone without doing surgery on your LP, the S-1 switch on the Baja Telecaster along with a liberal sprinkling of reverb and the tone slightly rolled off will get you a very good approximation. Naturally that means buying a Baja...:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Whenever I plug a Tele into my old Marshall, the urge to crank out Led Zep 1 licks takes over. No extra pedals required, any pickup combination. 1983-fender-telecaster-top-loader mine.jpg JCM602Small1.jpg

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. stringpinger

stringpinger TDPRI Member

I'm with AndrewG. Save your beans and get a good attenuator. Try and do as much as you can with just the amp. Cranking that sucker without one isn't realistic these days if you're playing out – in my experience at least. Just slap a tuner on top and go! And you'll have the added advantage of not having some goon dump their beer/sweat/saliva/vomit on your board. Joe Bonamassa is a good case study: he went from his mega amp rig and board to just a wah, boost and a Tweed Twin.

11. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Lots of good suggestions here.

Get an attenuator for your Marshall?

Get a small enough amp that you can actually crank it all the way up?

Get an OD that makes it sound like you cranked your amp all the way up?

Just crank the Marshall all the way and hope nobody's face melts off?

I'd like to know what you decided....

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Man, I used to live in Greeley, CO. I wish I lived in FC right now: This is exactly the kind of band I'd like to be in!

13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

FANTASTIC! The combination of Peter, that Les Paul and the best vibrato ever literally gave me goosebumps! And every time I hear him, but he was on fire on that.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Colorsound Overdriver was popular with the Brits. I've heard Vick Audio builds a nice clone.

15. Paul in Colorado

The Marshall I have access to has a post inverter master volume mod, so I might not need an attenuator. I haven't had a chance to try it with the 4 x 12" yet. I'm so wrapped up in other projects right now, but maybe we could work up something as a side project with my current band. I know the bass player would do it. It's always fun to rock out now and again.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure you need more than a wah and a boost. MXR microamp to get heavier dirt and sustain for solos and a wah for colour did me fine in my Brit blues band for lots of years.

I'd get the dirty channel on your Marshall cranked half way on the gain, get a decent volume to get something to dig into for chunky, warm rhythm and then kick it into bright, singing solos with a boost or possibly an EQ pedal to give you some tonal options.

I have a new band project started with a big 60's / 70's influence - kinks etc. And my 18w straddles the best of the Marshall and brighter Vox tones I need at a good volume - it's non MV. I am thinking about making a JTM45 or a 50w plexi for this band too, for bigger venues.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Dude, that grey Tele is sweet looking, HOT!!!

It would be a perfect combo with my Old Ric' M8-E.

[​IMG]

Tone controls are for girls..... :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Paul in Colorado and Flaneur like this.
  18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Great looking amp! Stag Gray, I think they called it?

My guitar, on the other hand, seems to have been painted in the dark....... :)

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

On the subject of tone controls....I took my Cab to band practice last night. Didn't feel I was short of anything I needed. :cool:

20. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Joe Bonamassa is already doing exactly what your talking about. He's quite convincing with a Les Paul and some Fender Tweeds. He doesn't use any effects with the exception of a wah pedal as far as I know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.