1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

British Blues-Rock. What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 20, 2016.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Eric Clapton on lead Guitar, Jack Bruce on bass, John Bohnam on drums, Paul Rodgers on Vox, NIcky HOpkins on piano/keys, Keith Richards on rhythm guitar, Kiki Dee on backing vox.

Shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred thousand pounds...

RoyBGood and xland like this.
  2. dlew919

Here's Hendrix's setup.. now, he's a bit unusual, as he didn't play the 'pure blues' of a Green or a Clapton (or a Keef), and he's American, but he counts as a British player, because where he started getting noticed...

http://www.rockprophecy.com/shop.html

3. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

As you said, he was the exception - American, had his own pedal designer effectively...

However, the OP was talking about Yardbirds, Cream, Fleetwood Mac, etc. Any pics of their huge pedalboards? Remember, on Led Zeps Royal Albert Hall film, Pagey didn't even have a clean sound for Black Mountainside - no master volume.

4. dlew919

A quick Google search reveals that green plugged straight into various amps but had an out of phase p90 in the neck position.

Clapton had the Wah and I think he also had a fuzz box. As did Keef.

Pictures are rare.

5. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Kind of proves my point. We have a great list of echo units, fuzzes, wahs, overdrives, reverb units... Most of those guys used 1 or 2 effects max. More than a few didn't use any.

By the way, Greeny had a P90? News to me.

6. Huey666

Huey666 Tele-Meister

Id say if you have a nice Tele, a fuzz and a 50 watt Marshall you're pretty much there for British blues-rock.

If you want to use an OD pedal, i wouldn't recommend a tubescreamer with your setup, id go for something with less midrange, like a treble boost clone, wampler euphoria, zvex SHO, visual sound open road, something like that. Reason is that teles and marshall stacks are both very midrangey, so theres enough there already and your sound will cut through easily. A pedal like the ones i mentioned will very nicely boost the fullrange of frequencies in your amp, keeping the nice mid boost thats there already. A fuzz face type pedal will do the same thing, thats why hendrix used them with his marshall stacks. Tubescreamers are best with fender amps that have a more scooped midrange. Just my experience.

As for other effects, thats up to you, depends on the needs of the song Iguess?

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Unless you're doing Jeff Beck fuzz tones forget pedals and just drive your amp like those guys did. Eric Clapton interviewed: "It's well known that in the early part of the 60s nobody could get 'the sound' that you were hearing on records out of British-made amps. How did you overcome that?"
    EC: "Just by turning them flat out!"

Yep.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Not sure about the Peter Green thing. His Les Paul came back from being fixed for something or other with the neck humbucker's polarity reversed, hence the 'out of phase' tone in the middle position. No P90 involved as far as I'm aware. You can actually get pretty close to PG's tone using a Baja's S2; I forget which switch position exactly.

9. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

I'd only use one drive pedal to get that 70's grind. Like Huey666 said, some germanium drive/fuzz without too much midrange interference is a pedal that I would look for, in combination with a crunchy amp.

I'm using an SG with a crunchy Vox AC30 and an EQD Crimson drive. Listen to the first pedal in this clip to get an idea of the Crimson Drive:

10. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

A Zvex Distortron is a pretty good JTM45 in a box if you aren't able to get loud enough to use the amp for dirt. I have made a few Rangemasters and would highly recommend putting in a switch that lets you go between different cap values so you have a treble, mid or bass boost. Sounds like a great project. Bring loud back!!!

11. dlew919

Paf. My apologies to both of you who pointed out that error.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like fun!
    I'd just plug the Paul into the Marshall and let er' rip.
    Sometimes you just have to scare the children.:rolleyes::)

Paul in Colorado and src9000 like this.
  13. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

I have been working on a similar project doing mid 60s British blues, r&b, and mod stuff. I am using a Vox AC15, Yardbox fuzz, or Soul Bender, Vox wah and have been toying with the idea of getting something like a Beano Boost (or Screaming Bird on the cheap), but I am not sure that I would need it.

and a coily cable

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

No need to apologise-you'd be amazed how much I don't know!

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

How could I forget the most important ingredient? :D

Eric used a wah. Period. (And turned up WAY LOUD) The Rangemaster thing has never really been proven. Jimmy Page had a fuzz and a wah and an Echoplex, Jeff Beck had a fuzz and a wah. I think we have a trend here. I don't have the Marshall at my house at the moment, but it's a 50 watt two input with an added Master Volume. I think it'll be good.

Thanks for sharing your pedal suggestions!

songtalk likes this.
  16. dlew919

Actually the coily cable helps with the sound apparently. Carlos Santana used a very long cable. The extra length adds ... Capacitance? Someone more knowledgable than me will be able to explain.

RoyBGood likes this.
  17. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, on like one - MAYBE two - songs per Cream gig. Tales of Brave Ulysses gets the the wah, he only wahs up the solo of White Room on Live Cream Vol II. Blind Faith had all kinds of mad guitar sounds.
    I don't know what this means.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

A lot of people claim that Clapton used a Rangemaster on the Blues Breaker album, but there is no photographic evidence and Eric denies it. I saw Cream twice. Nothing between the guitar and amps but a wah. And Crossroads was an SG not an ES 335. I was there.

Iago likes this.
  19. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Huh. I thought I'd seen photographic proof of the rangemaster thing and taken it to be a hard truth, but after a quick google, I can't find any pictures at all!

20. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

But that was then. Sure we can grab right amp, plug straight in and get there. But these days we don't have to, I can grab my Lovepedal JTM and a Blues Jr or my old Champ 12 and be there with 96% authentic tone without having to go by a new amp.

If you think those guys back then wouldn't have loved to have the options we have today and wouldn't have put them into practical use any chance they got, your delusional.

Sandhill69 and dlew919 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.