1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

British Blues-Rock. What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was playing the Tele through the Vox AC-15 today and went off on a British Blues/Rock tangent. I was playing Yardbirds, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck Group, John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac kinds of songs and was having a blast. So I got to thinking about starting a band playing that kind of music or music based on that. and started thinking about pedals I'd need. I have access to a two input 50 watt Marshall and have a nice 4 x 12" cab (or could use the Vox. Don't want to scare the children). And my Tele has a neck humbucker and I have a Les Paul as well. So those things are covered.

Oh, and I'll need a singer. A good singer who can go play a tambourine and stay out of the way while the guitarist goes off into jam land. :D

So I figured I'd need a wah, a fuzz and some kind of tape echo-type pedal. Maybe a low gain OD and a phaser, too? I have most of that covered, but I was curious what pedals my fellow TDPRI members would use in a band like that.

savofenno likes this.
  2. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

Maybe a Leslie simulator. Though I usually just use a phaser to fake that stuff.

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Man!

That is the world I live in! Everything I have is geared toward that genre.

Here is what I use.

I run with a vox ac15 & an orange TT.

I use a TC HOF, and a phase 90. I'm not too into delay, but that is where I use the HOF to give some unique bigness on the "room" setting.

I have a couple of different Fuzzes: big muff and havalina.

Light overdrives are jhs Charlie Brown and wampler euphoria.

Euphoria can do a good crunch and double as a fuzz as well.

Fulltone plimsoul can do a good tube screamer impression & heavier stuff.

I have recently discovered that I like compressors as boost for fat cleans when amp is cranking a little.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This dude wrote to ask when and where the auditions will be held. :D

[​IMG]

songtalk, troy2003 and Hexabuzz like this.
  5. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

awesome
    sounds like you're pretty much all the way there
    I guess, a lot of people use them when they could do without
    for those heavier moments
    I guess you might want some psychey delay, or even some slapback sometimes
    Woah, what? Why? Surely the low gain sound comes from your amps? Use the volume knob or your fuzz for lead bursts?

If you're talking about 60s British blues/rnb in the way I understand you, I would think you'd more than manage with wah>fuzz>MAYBE something like a leslie sim for special effects>a big and unsubtle reverb>an appropriately cookin' amp.

Personally, if I had amps as good as yours, I'd try and do as much as I could with just a treble boost and a good reverb either before or inside the amp. Although I might struggle to curb my need for at least two fuzzes at any given time...

mitchfinck and johnhe like this.
  6. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

If the Marshall's don't have reverb, I'd get a pedal for that. And I'd get an OD pedal somewhere in the Tube Screamer drive range. A good bit of that music calls for wahs wahs, but I probably wouldn't go that way because I don't use them well. I do, however, like listening to others play them.

P

7. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I'm struggling to think of example of the bands you mentioned using much (if anything) in the way of effects. OK, Clapton used a wah on White Room, but that's about it. Most of them were "plug and play" guys. Beck is an exception because his hands can do any effect you like better than any damned stomp box and therefore doesn't need 'em.

Personally, I'd just get an authentic sounding treble booster and the right amp. Clapton and Page certainly used them.

Anode100 and Nickfl like this.
  8. elKZacha

elKZacha Tele-Meister

I use a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Blackstar HT DistX

If you set up the HT right, it really has that Marshall crunch that is synonymous with said Brit bands

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

THAT'S MY MAN!!! Do you have his number, or do I just put out the vibes to make contact?

Reverb? Ain't no good Marshall got reverb! (Or more then six knobs) :D

Yeah, I think I have what I need. I was just checking to see if I forgot anything. If the amp doesn't do the lower gain overdrive, then I might sneak in a Tube Screamer. I have a Jordan Bosstone and a Barber Trifecta for fuzzes. A Budda Wah that's as good as any wah I've owned. If I want to go crazy, I have a Space Echo RE-150. A treble booster might be cool. I don't have one, but it's a simple circuit. I could build a kit to try one out.

This could be fun!

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I might suggest a time machine dialed into around 1969 or so. Use a Woodstock, NY GPS location. ;)

I'd have volunteered to do the gig myself but my gigging tambourine is currently in the shop being re-jangled. :D

11. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Maybe a vibe pedal of some kind.

Or you could go Clapton and use just a wah and your Marshall. For that matter he often didn't have a wah.

12. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

This is what I was about to say. If you look at what most of those guys supposedly used is was very minimal, and often just a marshal of some sort. Ideally I would think an amp with something close to a tweed bassman circuit inside and maybe a wah and fuzz would be the most authentic sound you could get.

13. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Snouse Blackbox for those 60s marshally/tweedy OD tones.

14. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

That is my world too! You have the amps and guitars....Rangemaster clone is all you need for dirt...maybe a fuzz or a clean boost if you cannot crank those amps into saturation.

Strymon Flint rules for trem and verb, any Wah is good, and the Cbread Belle Epoch does the Echoplex thing perfectly.

You need guitar swagger too, to properly get the bloozy boogie across!

16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Pete has swagger on this...lousy recording, muddy mix yet that Les Paul shines like a lighthouse in a hurricane.

Jakeboy, Grabsplatter and fatcat like this.
  17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Many shades of that era in these 3 for me, germ fuzz>BK Burn>JTM. Only other thing you might need is a touch of spring reverb.

Preamp section
    [​IMG]

Power amp crankage
    [​IMG]

18. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Can someone show me a photo of these guys, back in the day, with all their pedals in shot? Every pic/clip I've seen shows them with nothing on the floor.

Chicago Matt and MilwMark like this.
  19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Yeah - Rangemaster, bag full of pentatonics, and a very large, home-grown cigarette.

20. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

You got the amps and guitars, probably a boost and wah pedal. They mostly plug in straight in those days. Kill them with volume! Thats what they did :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.