1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Britain / UK

Discussion in 'International Member Clubs' started by Thorby Bislam, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I lived in the Pennines, in the 80s. Freezing your arse off -indoors- was still in fashion.;)

beagle likes this.
  2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

:cool:

41144 and neilybob100 like this.
  3. milospilo

milospilo TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    Hi. This Telecaster lives in Whitstable on the Kent coast and can regularly be seen gigging in pubs around the south east with the Miles Cookman Band. If you see it/me, come and say hi.

Jimclarke100 and neilybob100 like this.
  4. robgilmo

robgilmo TDPRI Member

5. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Hello all.......Born in Leamington Spa but grew up in Birmingham.
    Have since lived in South Africa, New Zealand and Australia.
    Lived in London NW6 (Yes - Keef Hartley territory) for a few years in the early 70's.
    But here I am now in sunny Oz and here I stay.

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I hadn't seen this "club" before, so here's my back story...

Born in Stockport, Cheshire (as it was in 1961). Lived in north Wales from 18 months old until about 9/10, then back to Manchester / Stockport about 1970/71.

Moved (work-related) to Newcastle Upon Tyne in late 80s (for 7 years) then up to Perth (for 5 years) and down to Essex 10 miles or so north of Chelmsford (since 1999).

Nothing against Essex but I really miss the north of England and Scotland and intend to head back there as soon as retirement / circumstances allow.

7. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Born in Belfast, lived and played in London for 45 years, Now soaking up the sea air in Christchurch, Dorset ... and still playing.

Tony474 likes this.
  8. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

We tend to think of other folks as being more geographically mobile- Americans, or Aussies, say- but we pretty much wrote the book on spreading out, for whatever reasons........

I never imagined I'd end up in the rural north of Scotland, after being born in the beating heart of manufacturing industry. When the work started to dry up, in the mid-70s, I had to make some hard choices. I guess it's a pattern that repeats, all over the world.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I was born in Chelmo, and am an Essex boy froo an' froo. Chelmsford sucks and so I left and became a marsh hopper in Maldon, where I stand out for having just the one head.

Tony474 and Paul Jenkin like this.
  10. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Ten miles north of Chelmsford would put you pretty close to Braintree Paul. That’s where I went to school, was bought up in Sible. Used to go punt gunning at Maldon on the Mud.[emoji3]

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Well, despite having lived down here for 19 years - the longest I've ever spent in any town during my adult life - I still regard myself as a northerner. Mind you, I'm not sure where I'd move back to as so much has changed in the years since I moved away.

Maldon's an okay place. We pop over a couple of times a year to promenade down the mud-front :rolleyes:. Delia put the place on the map when she started banging on about Maldon sea-salt in her cookery programmes / books and then there's that race across the muddy creek at low-tide. Not sure it's for me, though.

Any good music venues out your way? We're headed to a couple of gigs in Braintree this weekend but that's a rarity. I'm not too familiar with the good and bad when it comes to local pubs and bars that have bands playing in this part of the world.

Cheers.

12. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

From Glasgow, Scotland originally, moved to Oxfordshire, England for 9 years before emigrating to God's country. :cool:
    So, I'm 65% Scottish, 15% English and 70% Australian :lol:

13. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Hi from just north of Cambridge. Londoner originally but escaped in 1990.

Cambridge Corn Exchange has a few good bands a year - in recent years I've seen Richard Thompson, Elvis Costello, Steve Winwood etc. Even saw Joe Bonamassa there before he got bigger. Cambridge Junction too - I've seen Martin Taylor and The Temperance Movement recently.

There's enough music pubs in the area for my blues/rock band to gig as often as we want.

14. Uncle Daddy

Maldon has a long history of being a Teds/R&R town, and there's still quite a few of the originals knocking about. Many of the pubs no longer have the space or desire for bands, but the Millbeach in Heybridge still gets a few, including a R&R nite one Weds a month. Chelmsford also gets a R&R/rockabilly nite once a month at the social club behind Tesco in Springfield Road. This Saturday is a tribute to Johnny B and the Rock and Roll Trio, and Paul the guitarist is worth a look on his own.

Jardins in Braintree has another local R&R/Teds act on Sunday afternoon this week; make sure your inoculations are up to date!

That mud race is for tourists and fundraisers. I live about 2 minutes from the river, and have always managed to avoid it. Same with the salt;overpriced and over-rated. We do have two good micropub/breweries worth a trip. The 31 bus goes straight to the High Street where they're located. Apart from that it's a sleepy little place really. You need two grandparents in the graveyard to be a real local, but my wife was born here so I get a leg bye on that one.

15. Uncle Daddy

There used to be a punt gun hanging over the fireplace in the Blue Boar. I'd tell American visitors it was for house hunting.

Tony474 likes this.
  16. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Born in London, 1952 and lived in SW15, W3, W4, E16 (before it was demolished to accommodate the architectural misery of Canary Wharf), SW18 and SW6. Moved to Exeter in glorious Devonshire in 1983 and never looked back. Anyway I doubt I would recognise the city I loved as a child.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. UKStratopastor

UKStratopastor TDPRI Member

greetings from Stockton-on-Tees.

Has it ever crossed anyone else's mind that if Leo had come from Yorkshire, we'd all be playing Tadcasters?

41144 likes this.
  18. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

'appen we would;)

UKStratopastor likes this.
  19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

:D

Maybe if Buck Owens' oppo, Mr Rich, had been a Yorkshireman, we'd be playing Doncasters...

Texas Special and UKStratopastor like this.
  20. UKStratopastor

UKStratopastor TDPRI Member

I don't like it, Sarge..... it's too quiet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.