Britain and America, differences observed.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by metalicaster, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah. Put a light drizzle of syrup on the waffles to give them just a hint of sweetness, and alternate bites between the sweet of the waffles and the savory of the chicken. Delicious.

Tommy Biggs and Guitarteach like this.
  2. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

But is it tap water or faucet water then? :lol:

jackinjax likes this.
  3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

You must mean branch water.

Tremade likes this.
  4. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Just a heads up, when you get to try one, just ask for a "cheesesteak". If the words 'Philly' or 'sandwich' are involved chances are it's not going to be authentic.

RevMike and Micky Mojo like this.
  5. Micky Mojo

Micky Mojo TDPRI Member

Don't think there's much chance of me getting an authentic one, round here shops sell Ham and Pease Pudding.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is true, but bear in mind we couldn't get Southern Food North of the Ohio River in the 1960s, even into the 1970s. The food in the USA is changing in all directions at once: Far more Ethnic food influences than years' past, huge impact from New Orleans and other culinary hot spots; better food distribution meaning more fresh ingredients in places they once couldn't be found. Variety has changed, insofar as you don't have to eat as much "in season" and you can find variety in many more places than you used to. I think one of the things that makes Fried Chicken and Grits and Barbecue, etc., so delicious is, you don't have to eat them if you don't want to - you can have Tacos Pescado tonight and Pizza tomorrow night and have Southern cooking the following night and New Orleans' cooking the night after. I found I liked the food in the region I lived in much more when I wasn't obliged to eat only that food.

I like to put 1/2-2/3 the "huge" entree in a to go box - I don't try to eat in all in one sitting. USA food is great because it is relatively cheap and a lot of it is pretty good, reheated the next day. My impression of the UK is, food is not inexpensive and if you don't care for something you're really SOL. I've gotten up from the rare lousy meal in the USA after a couple forkfuls, paid or maybe renegotiated the bill then went and ate someplace less than a mile away. When you can do this effectively, IMO this drives out the "loser" eating establishments, promotes fierce competition and the diner wins. If people do this in the UK that would be news to me.

Food in Indianapolis, IN, Rochester, NY or Kitchener, ON was possibly as bland and uninspired in 1962 as their UK counterparts were in those days - heck, it was effectively the same people. As boring and prepackaged as Olive Garden is, I think it drove crummy local restaurants out of business in many parts of the USA to eventually be replaced by local restaurants that were far better than Olive Garden and so I think we owe 'em some thanks. I hate the endless enthusiasm these days for "Disruption" but in this case, the corporates in many cases actually did us a favor and so the question is, could these same business machine/giants help in the UK? Because my #1 reason for not visiting the UK in the last 10 years has been wanting to avoid the food there.

7. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

And miss out on fine northern England cuisine i.e. a meat & potato pie on a barmcake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I'm trying! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

9. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. But you can certainly get good ones outside of Philly. And VERY disappointing ones IN Philly.

10. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I leave for England on the 30th and I wish I could pack three things : A.) sugary sweet American ketchup B.) my favorite taco truck from Austin and C.) my friends and family and my favorite places to play [emoji846]

Notice ketchup is still at the top. I don't want red sauce or tomato sauce....I want high fructose corn syrup diabetes causing American style ketchup! It's always the silly little things you miss the most [emoji38]

rebelwoclue, jackinjax and RevMike like this.
  11. RevMike

Heinz?

12. boris bubbanov

C'mon, it isn't that bad
    I don't know.

When in Oxford (MS), Missouri is obviously Yankee, even those deep in the hollers. But when in Terry, MS, the boys at Ole Miss are the Yankees, and when in Osyka, MS the boys too close to Jackson are the Yankees.

And when in Columbus, OH, those in Erie, PA are Yankees and when in Massachusetts, those in NH are Yankees and when in New Hampshire, those in VT are Yankees.

So, I guess it is a directional term as opposed to a fixed point on a map.

fatcat likes this.
  13. RevMike

Outside of the immediate vicinity of the Aquarium.....yeah....It kinda is pretty rough. Not like Hunts Point in the Bronx kinda rough...but yeah...pretty bad.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 3.30.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 3.30.36 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Is Heinz okay? Sainsbury's and Tesco's both carry it...

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/heinz-tomato-ketchup--top-down-570g

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=250167878

B) and C) are a little more difficult. ;)

16. boris bubbanov

We got dat, too.

My friend was just telling me, her tenent was two months behind on the rent, and up and lef.

I think people would work harder at getting to understand what the other fellow was saying, except they know that before they can, all the rules will simply have been changed. Again. So, what is the point?

RevMike likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

The place just struck me as bombed out, depopulated. I didn't feel like I was in any more peril than lots of places in Baltimore or even parts of Jacksonville, FL.

I'm used to going into the Projects in New Orleans, well, because if your client lives there you really ought to try. Sometimes I think it has to do more with what you drive, how you dress, what day of the month it is and avoid Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and nights.

Actually, I was gonna delete my post about Camden since I only went in there a few times - the period and the rest of the thought never did post. I'm sure others know the area far better than I do. And you can get some immature gangster wannabe trying to stage a confrontation with you on CA 192 (Foothill) in Montecito in front of multimillion dollar residences. It isn't always the place.

18. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I believe that, no doubt.

I like a cheesesteak once in awhile, but I'm not an aficionado or anything.

A good one hits the spot and can be great at times, they can be a little overrated tho.

RevMike likes this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

RevMike likes this.
  20. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

The ketchup complaint stems from Heinz using corn syrup stateside and sugar everywhere else. Personally I vastly prefer the sugared version...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.